what's the point of the genius playlists in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jojoba, Sep 25, 2012.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

Do you use them? Are they worth using? Do they make better playlists than what you are able to make yourself?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

for me? 1. no, 2. no, 3. NO :D

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I don't use the genius playlist feature at all. I make my own

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I've used them a couple of times in the past. The problem I see is that they don't really change that much from the time you turn them on. So even though the playlist is technically "randomized," the "Power Rock" playlist will still play the same songs everytime you start it, just in a slightly differ order.

That said the playlists aren't bad. Everything in one fits well together. I'd say they make better playlists than I would, but I'm not very good at making playlists. :D

Genius playlists is basically Pandora but confined to your iTunes library. Not very useful overall, but it does what it's supposed to do.

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

Same here.

Genius sometimes pulls up songs I forgot that I had, which leads me to explore my library more. I like that a lot.

6. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. So my conclusion is, it won't revolutionalise my music collection but I might give it a try one day when I don't have anything better to do :)