What's the point of the new drop down notifications if

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wordoflife, Jun 9, 2011.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

there is no icon in the status bar to let us know that there is a notification?

I find myself, more often than not, not really using the drop down notifications because there is no icon in the status bar to indicate that "Hey, look here! You have a notification!" I use the drop down menu when I have multiple notifications on my lock screen (since they'll go away after unlocking the device). But other than that, you don't really know you have a notification if you miss the banner message or quickly unlock your device without paying attention to what the lock screen says. The new notifications are nice, but not quite there yet.

Anyone else feeling that Apple should put something up in the status bar? I think they should throw in a little red dot in the status bar to let you know that you have pending notifications (if they don't want to put an icon of every individual app with a pending notification).

2. mms13 macrumors 6502

Why does there need to be? You get a banner if you're using the phone. You get a lock screen item if you aren't. And you still have your badges on app icons. On the rare occasion that you have somehow managed to avoid all of those things...you just have to do a quick swipe to see what's up. I think it's perfect.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not to be mean, but this kind of seems like your fault.

If you're using the device when it comes in you'd see it when it pops up at the top of the screen. If you're NOT using the device when it comes in you'll see it on the lock screen.

The only way to not know about it is to willfully ignore those 2 methods of seeing it. I don't see why we need a 3rd method just because you decided to not pay attention to your lock screen.

4. Icedog macrumors member

exactly! If I'm in a game, I get the little 3d animation thing telling me about an email or SMS or something.. that's cool, I like that. But 10 minutes later when I leave the game, you're back in the same boat of hoping you happen to look at the home page that holds the app that just had a notification pop up. If facebook was on page 3, then you'll need to go to page 3 to see the notification badge on the icon, there's nothing else to remind you. I suppose they did this so it doesn't clutter up the bar.

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

a banner is shown when u get a notification, and if u don't tap it it will go away and appear in the notification center. u can configure it any way u want, badges, sounds, banners (or all 3), the old notification system or nothing. the only problem i see is if u leave your phone on (not locked obviously) and u get a notification and then it goes away, but its not very strenuous to just pull it down and check for a sec (that assuming you didn't hear it either).

6. mms13 macrumors 6502

How is this different than the way it used to be? You get the alert box, dismiss it...now you're in the same boat. The difference is, the new system doesn't interrupt your game.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

There's still a few more beta's left, I'm sure devs are sending that in to Apple as feedback.... There's a good chance they may add that or tweak the notification center a bit. They were pretty good about tweaking suggestions in 4.0 last year.

8. wordoflife, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

^^
    Thanks for the link. Didn't see that thread.

If I'm playing a game, and a notification drops down and its not that important, I'd probably ignore it thinking "Oh, I'll look at it later" but what happens if I forget? I know it's my fault, but I was hoping that Apple might have something more elegant in mind.

In fact, it's not ONLY when you are playing games. A lot of times when I'm doing something, I ignore the notification thinking that I'll go back to it later but I end up forgetting about it. I'm sure this happens to a lot of people.

Apple just made the notifications appear without stopping your game or app, but it's still a bit inefficient without something to tell you that you have notifications pending.

I hope Apple seriously doesn't expect us to drag down the status bar every 10 minutes just in case we got a notification. The notifications are hardly useful when I'm watching a Youtube video. I have choose to rotate my device, read the notification, rotate it back, rewind the video to compensate the time I used for reading the notification, and continue watching the video. -OR- I can ignore it, keep watching my video, but possibly forget to drag down the notification bar.

It's hardly efficient.

9. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

That is my exact complaint in my thread, haha ;)

I hope that any developers reading this (such as myself) will report this to Apple using the "Report a Bug" link on the Developer Forum.

10. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Look at my Youtube example that I updated in post 9. That puts it best.

11. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Please don't waste Apple's time filing false bugs. This is not a bug. You're requesting a feature because you have a bad memory and think that flinging birds into a pile of pigs is more important than responding to whomever is trying to contact you in real life.

Please, please, please don't waste Apple's time filing this in their BUG reporting system.

12. wordoflife, Jun 9, 2011

wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

No offense, but if you are going to insult someone, you might as well do so properly. Notifications do not only consist of phone calls and texts.

Sorry to sound harsh, but some of these posts need to be thought about twice.

13. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

False bugs? Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Just because you report it on the bug reporting website, doesn't mean it's a bug. There is a category for "enhancements" when filing your report, which is exactly where this request would fit under.

And if you're going to insult someone, maybe you should do it right. I think Angry Birds is not fun at all, and highly over-rated.

So good job on your post... you lose twice.

Next time, try researching first ;)

14. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Pretty true. Keep in mind that with the release of iOS5, about 1500 new APIs were included. This means apps have access to a broader array of capabilities.. Perhaps one of them is to modify the top banner for this feature you speak of to take place.

It wouldn't hurt, though, to code something similar to Blackberry's system: little icons on the top banner with a number next to them. So, for example, facebook's icon and a '2' means two new FB notifications. That way you'll be integrating the best of both worlds, Android and BB. Just my 0.02c

15. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

If they don't want to include an icon for every individual app (which would be nice, as you mentioned) then they should put at least a icon that indicates you need to look at Notification Center.

16. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Or apps could have their own icons created by the developers... When you submit your app package, you supply a Large Icon and a Small Icon... They could also just require a Tiny Icon or something.

17. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm not sure if there would be space for all that though

18. DDustiNN, Jun 9, 2011

DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Sure there would...

• First off all, let all icons be optional (individually) via the Settings app, just like they currently are for Lock Screen notifications, etc.
    • Also allow the app list to be ordered/prioritized by the user, based on what apps' notifications would be most important to them
    • If the number of notification icons exceeds the amount of space available on the status bar, replace the icons with a single [numbered] icon, which just indicates that there are notifications waiting to be dealt with
    • Lastly, if the user wishes, they could disable individual notification icons and simply use the single notification icon counter (or no icons at all)
    I can't imagine any of that would be terribly difficult to program, especially since most of it is already built-in with the API.

19. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Assuming one had their status bar filled like mine, there probably wouldn't be space to put anymore icons, but I like your idea. Edit: well I guess they could put it next to the carrier. but some people have really long carrier names listed on their phones

[​IMG]

20. nightfly macrumors newbie

I think it would be best for apple to add the thicker status bar style

Its the one when you pressed home button when in call.

Instead of saying touch to return to call just show something like you have x unread notifications and make it glowing red or something similar...

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

If I unlock receive a message, then unlock my phone and lock it again without checking notifications or Messages, will the lockscreen notification still be there? If so, I see no need for another status bar icon

22. ihonda macrumors 68000

no. if you unlock your phone then relock it the notificatons do not appear on the lockscreen anymore

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Thanks. I'm really excited about the new notification system.

24. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Mine is filled just the way I like it (with the exception of a Calendar icon - no luck with that :()

[​IMG]