What's the possiblity of a Powerbook with Dual processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston8man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2001
Do you think it's possible for a Powerbook to support a dual processor? Is the Ti capable of this? Is Apple even pursuing this option?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
according to my mac peers in the IT field, the G4 has that dual processor ability unlike the G3 which either can't be dual processor is is very hard/expensive to do so

so why not the tibook then since it has a G4?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
oh, that's right, duh...but...

i never think much about power consumption because i always plug in my laptops to ac adaptors

i am not one of those airline flying dudes...especially now

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
especially not one of those really annoying airline flying dudes who need combo drives on their laptops......not mentioning any names.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
dualie laptop...

A dual-processor laptop could definitely be done. However, for power consumption purposes, you would probably only want one processor active during battery operation.

Heat dissapation could certainly be handled. While hot by PowerPC standards, this is not a hot chip by Intel standards. IE, hotter processors have been put in PC laptops in the past.

I think a "black-ice" laptop design would be cool, taking its design cues from the current mouse and keyboard look.

Wouldn't it be cool to mount the dual processors behind the screen with a "smoke" glass window that shows them off to the world?

Of course, Apple won't do this anytime soon. Any dualie will surely be a modification of the TiBook.

- J

john123

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2001
Actually...

To my understanding, the real reason why you don't see a dual processor laptop is cost.

Power consumption isn't that big a deal. Your biggest power drains come from your screen and disk drives, respectably. Your processor, while hot, is #3 on the list.

Heat is a bit of a problem, but it, too, can be handled. If you believe the rumors, dual processor prototypes have been produced....

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: re: dual processor G4 tibooks

so if heat and power comsumption is not the issue, let's say for arguments sake,

wouldn't someone like boston8 (if he gets his loan i hope) be someone who could utilize the dually G4 tibook if he had, let's say, $4200 dollars to burn on a machine like this

seriously, how many computing tasks for (most of us) need more power than a dual altivec 667 MHz G4 tibook with a giant hard drive? i mean we are talking about a real life mac desktop replacement here since the pc world considers a 15" screen, 20 GB HD, 1 GHz celeron running winbook a real desktop replacement

and the 15.2" viewing area on a tibook is actually the same viewing area as many 17" CRTs which don't really give you that full 17" of viewing area, but more than an inch less than documented (all laptop measurements for screens give you the actual viewing area though!)

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Dual PowerBooks?

Before create a dual processor book think, how many dual processor towers are sold? You have to compare the amount of dual processor against single processor desktops. Now, from the amount of desktops in the market, how many PowerBooks are sold? I may guess less than 10%.
If in the real world almost any body have a dual processor mac, why should I have a dual PowerBook then? May be I can find a reason, but, is ther a market there for Apple?

Aple can sell cubes, can sell iPods because they are afforable, but to create a tecnology that would cost over $4.000 if not more? Apple powerbooks are tye most expensive computers in the market. Ok, they are good but they cost more.

PowerBooks are a solution for mobility, they still less flexible (no PCI or internal slots) and affordable than a desktop computers.

If you create a dual processor PowerBooks is because you are going to be moving 24 hours a day doing very heavy graphic work.
I do not know the first 3D animator that takes 3 planes in one day 5 times a week.
That would be the target audience for that kind of machine.
Remember that 99% of the products we buy are base on consumer needs, which guarantees sales.

[Edited by mymemory on 11-19-2001 at 10:17 PM]

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: market

it is true that the market would be very, very small but i also thought that of the ipod and apple put that out

i believe the dual tibook's likely high cost would make it too obscure but it still would be cool one day when the price of such a unit becomes more affordable, like the next year in 2003...and by that time we will possibly be talking about a G5 laptop!

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
the dualie ain't about practicality...

A dualie laptop would not really be about practicality or affordability. The best reason for Apple to do it would be bragging rights. If they can do it and break even, they should. (Whether they could, that's another question.)

Apple needs to do a better job of conveying the idea that Macintosh's are at the top-end of performance. They can only do that effectively if they offer (not necessarily sell a lot of) the fastest machines in the market.

For the same reason, I think they should offer a quad-processor tower. (And I think they *would* sell quite a few of these.)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: bragging rights

you are so right...companies do that for bragging rights

before i was a pc tech, i was a salesman at the world's largest office and computer retailer and they posted some of the lowset prices on SOME models of computers anywhere on the globe

...no they didn't make a dime off these machines and after shipping, the company lost money

...but it was for that bragging "wow" factor for our "cheap prices"

...and that brought people in to also buy peripherals, paper, ink, paperclips, folders, coffeemakers, refrigerators, coffee, cookies, sodas, pens, maps, software, furniture, floor mats, books, kleenex, toilet paper, tvs, radios, typewriters, calculators, etc...and those items made the profit for the company, and we are talking billions which the company used to swallow up legions of their competitors like office max, viking, office club, and many other multinational coporations

...so in big business, bragging rights are a necessary expense

...the huge losing proposition called the NSX wowed the car world and put acura on the map of the big boys and helped sell their "ordinary" cars in obscene amounts and mounted a real threat to toyota and nissan!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
...but quad processors

but the comment on quad processors is simple...

go around and ask you mac friends if they would buy one,

then ask if they could afford one today,

or next paycheck,

or the paycheck after that,

or even by the middle of next year,

you see my point?

...the only people i know who can afford or have a justifiable need for a quad G4 around me are a select cadre of companies in silicon valley in the media/multimedia industry

...but i do know some who would buy one to match their roomful of G4s and techie buyers who like to buy every model of mac (see the collectors section further down on the home page) and they might make up for some marginal sales

...so a quad G4 would be another "bragging rights" machine but, in my opinion, would not have the "wow" factor of a dualie tibook (which would easily make the cover of "mobile computing" and "laptop" magazines!

actually, i would nominate it (th tibook) to be on the cover of playboy, penthouse, and the february issue of sports illustrated

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Then why not put a cheaper G4 in quad config?
Then you can brag and have a slightly affordable machine

Like a 500Mhz G4, that would deliver quite some performance.

Who would need to buy it though i dont know.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Being in the media field and having sat my ass in a $2000 chair in a $250,000 edit suite, I can safely say that there are plenty of people and more importantly plenty of companies that would line up for the chance to buy a quad if the performance was there.
When you look at the cost of labor and the time it takes to render, even the smallest production house would have to look at something that would cut down on thumb twiddling time, therefore paying for itself and then generating more work and more profit$. That's why most studios still use Avid instead of FCP even though Avid cost several times more.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
dude or dudette, define plenty!

you guys and gals altogether cannot even fill a college basketball auditorium or a costco store

i am not speaking out of my ass since my wife used to to art director for spin magazine and was going to be head graphic designer for architectural digest, both in nyc, before she came out to quiet rural northern california

but either way, go apple inc. and get that quad processor out and show the pc world what we are made of, even if it's just for the ego quotient

G4s can fit up to 16 in one machine, theoretically! so let's do that folks

..so i agree with you, let's get that puppy out and if you buy one, post here and let the rest of us poor folk know what it's like ;-)

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-20-2001 at 02:30 PM]

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
Umm like why have you guys all pussied out on me here? THIS WAS A POTENTIAL FIRE STARTING THREAD. But nooo, were all happy now. How come there werent any retarted remarks from John`23?

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Plenty? Okay not nearly as many as iMac buyers, but enough to justify releasing a flagship faster than God Himself machine. I am not a marketer in the Video business so I dont' know how many studios there are but look at al the media being created, lots.
The real point is that there are more of us willing to throw down our bosses money on it than there are drug dealers willing to buy an Acura NSX.

oh yeah, Kela. Did you notice that Catharticus Sparticus Retardicus or whatever he wanted to call himself was in fact a brand new poster with background knowledge of Spikey? Hmmm, 2+2=John123 posing as the innocent to take a little stab?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
lebowski is cool, i think, right, dude

john123 is joeyj if you have not noticed yet, but neither "poster" will admit to that i am sure

i am really spikey, no just kidding but the multiple personality thing at least gives more fuel to the forum war thing and just think, one can play both sides or switch sides like in that war you know where

spikey, i didn't know the perverts were not in the tube bathrooms if there were no bathrooms there, maybe they all just piss on the subway platforms but london still seems clean compared to BART (bay area rapic transit)

all fluids are bad for ibooks, including piss and macworld should do a test on that...remember that other "test" they did on that poor blueberry ibook in a past macworld review?

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-20-2001 at 04:32 PM]

john123

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2001
LOL

Originally posted by Kela
Umm like why have you guys all pussied out on me here? THIS WAS A POTENTIAL FIRE STARTING THREAD. But nooo, were all happy now. How come there werent any retarted remarks from John`23?
You misspelled "retarded."

Oh the irony.

john123

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2001
My identity

Guys,

I am not "sparticus" or whoever, nor am I "joeyj." This is my one and only account on macrumors....I promise.

hinkhous

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2001
Now I get it...

When I first rambled in to http://www.macrumors.com I had an idea that this was an active web forum for all things mac. What I have come to find out is that this website is frequented by about 5 guys who know a lot about macs and just keep throwing their information into a mental wrestling match. It is kinda fun to watch every now and then, but it still comes as a disappointment to find out that "new blood" on this site is pretty rare. That's my 2 cents. Proceed to flame, if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.