What's the proper way to use Twitter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Razeus, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

I just signed up for an account. Never really knew what it was. I have 2-3 friends on it, but the majority of my friends are on Facebook. I'm trying to get the hang of Twitter. Do I just make friends with random people with similar interests? Following companies and celebrities? How does one use Twitter?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'd say its mostly for following celebrities and causes and quick updates to your friends about what you're doing.

I'm following steve martin, alec baldwin, and norm macdonald to name a few. they'll post some funny stuff now and again.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I mainly follow public institutions (like museums, botanic gardens, art galleries, orchestras etc) and science journals. It's an interesting inside look at the workings of such places. There's some interesting stuff at times.

4. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

It seems to be a tool to give the media quick soundbites from "the man on the street" and to perpetuate trends using #trends

I don't use it, I barely use Facebook. FB took one look at my address book and said "due to your lack of friends Facebook will be restricted for you." :(

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Don't use it.

But then, I am a stick-in-the-mud. :cool:

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Not sending pictures of your junk to random women on the internet.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Just replace the first vowel and use that site instead.

8. AFPoster macrumors 65816

The proper way is to download Tout app to use with Twitter on your iPhone.

9. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Follow Shaq, once in awhile he'll get into yo mama joke battles with random twitter users

And use twitter to figure out where the food trucks are at

10. nutmac macrumors 68040

Twitter is useful for following needs.
    • Breaking news: There are countless number of organizations providing top news, finance, traffic, local, and the likes.
    • Discovering trends: Get the scoop on daily trending topics and what peoole are saying.
    • Company/organization update: Get updates from companies and organizations you care about.
    • Support: Twitter can be more effective way to get support for products or services you use, such as software, hardware, travel, and so on.
    • Direct Message: This is an alternative to SMS and MMS. As a bonus, all the messages you exchange with friends are archived on Twitter's server.
    • Communicating with others: If you run a business, Twitter can be useful for communicating with customers as well as advertising.

11. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I've avoided Twitter and Facebook mainly for security and to avoid waisting time. I work in a high security field and therefore none of my friends here at work use it either, therefore we are clueless :)

However that said, I appreciate this list as it contains some great suggestions that match up with what I would typically use it for.

If it had to be integrated at least Apple chose twitter not Facebook. I will not use facebook at any cost. I believe it's to nefarious, although cloaked in a warm and fuzzy costume, designed to make you feel safe.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I use Twitter only to follow the authors of a couple blogs that I find useful but that are on sites I don't otherwise visit, or anyway not very often. I could probably just see if they have feeds, but I wanted to see how Twitter worked so I decided to follow their tweets instead.

On Facebook: imo it is completely beyond the pale as far as privacy issues are concerned. They keep rolling out stuff that initially defaults to least private way in which a new feature could be arranged... then when the inevitable outcry arises, they apologize and say oh our bad, we'll fix it. Well that's past too old by now. They've created a track record of arrogance and zero credibility with respect to being more thoughtful on privacy issues in the future. Come on: same mistake, different day? Over and over again? Most of us would be fired after two or three rounds of that, yet Facebook keeps bringing it. Their message is clearly that the value of privacy is overstated. Who are they to make that judgment for their hundreds of millions of members? /end of rant, soooo sorry, feel sooooo much bettah /

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

as long as you get a feeling of wasting time ... you are using it correct