What's the purpose of the My Number setting under Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netnothing, Jul 9, 2010.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Sorry for the dumb question here.....what's the purpose of the My Number setting (under Settings -> Phone)?

Why is this field editable?

-Kevin

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

From what I know it displays your number in the contact list/app. When you pull down it shows "My Number: X XXX XXX XXXX" that's all I've seen it do.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

So you can enter your phone number, this way it will be over all your contacts in the phone/contacts app handy if you like me can't remember a phone number to save your life.

4. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok thanks for the replies. I always thought you number was pulled from the SIM card.

-Kevin

5. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

It is .. but only if it was stored there in the first place.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It is. If you switch to a different SIM card, that number will change.

So as to your original question: I have no clue why you can edit it manually!

7. army91c macrumors 6502a

In the immortal words of Chris Berman: "there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people that ask questions". I don't know the "real" reason but some people actually don't remember their cell number..... this is a way to "remember". ;)

8. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

What I don't get is that your number is only shown in the Contacts UI if you go through the Phone app. Going straight to the Contacts app and it isn't shown. A weird inconsistency.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, the phone app is a phone. It's gonna show you your number because that's what that app is built around.

But the 'Contacts' app is based on everything. If it's gonna show you your phone number up there then why not your e-mail address? Why not your home street address? Why not your birthday? What makes the phone number worthy of being at the top rather than any of that other stuff?

Better to have nothing than arbitrarily pick one without any idea if that's what the user is interested in seeing. (Not to mention the fact that the 'Contact' app is just as likely to be on an iPods that don't even have a phone number.)

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I think the real question is why can it be edited? I've wondered about this as well

11. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Because all SIM's don't come with your number added to them.

12. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Does it edit the way your number shows up on caller i.d.?

13. elchicano99 macrumors newbie

Think it might change the number being displayed when making FaceTime only calls? Initiated without first making a gsm call, just over wifi?
    The FaceTime button is directly below the editable number and theres the text that says your phone number will be shared via FaceTime...

14. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

nope