What's the quietest 7200 RPM Drive out there?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Aug 30, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'm looking to buy a 7200 RPM drive but it has to be very quiet...as close to 5400RPM drives as possible. I bought a WD Scorpio Black but it sounded like a jet engine prepping for engines for takeoff and vibrated my whole unibody case which as you might imagine became jarring after a while

I'd get an SSD drive but the drive i see as a suitable replacement (256GB) costs £515 ($838) which is....just not gonna happen

So i'd appreciate any suggestions you guys have ideally i'd like a 320GB drive since i still plan on doing the 8GB/SSD upgrade later on but don't mind a 500GB one as well...as long as its quiet. Keyword here is quiet

Thanks in advance

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

With all the debate going on with this issue, you really can't say one HDD is more quieter than the other. Some will say the Seagate 7200.4 is very quiet while others will disagree and the same can be said about the WD 320GB 7200 HDD. I would just say pick one and hope for the best.

3. antskip macrumors regular

Before my (silent:):)) SSD, I had a Hitachi single-platter 7200rpm 160GB HDD, and it was quieter than my WD 5400rpm Scorpio Blue and every other HDD I have had. Maybe worth a look...