What's the story on getting ahold of an Iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emt8q5, Oct 29, 2012.

1. emt8q5 macrumors member

So I'm recently unemployed and am going to be losing my work-provided Iphone 4.

I need to switch back to a spare line my family has with AT&T. I'd like to get an iPhone 5, but I can't wait 3-4 weeks (current shipping estimate) to have it. I need to return my current iPhone 4 to my employer as soon as possible.

What is the story on picking up a phone in store? I'm in St. Louis MO with 2 apple stores within 20 miles. I figured things would be scarce immediately following the launch, but the phone was released at the end of September, nearly a month ago. I'm surprised I can't get a hold of one.

Other posts have mentioned a reservation system? An employee at the apple store told me to log onto apple.com at 10pm each night to check inventory. So far, I've been on the site at 10pm (CST) Friday, Saturday and Sunday and haven't seen anything. Should I keep doing this? does it update at 10pm CST or 10pm Pacific?

What's the trick here? Would I have better luck going to an AT&T store or a Best Buy? Am I just SOL? Are these things really that scarce a month after release?

Thanks in advance!

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Surprisingly, Radio Shack seems to have a daily supply- both AT&T; Sprint, and Verizon.
    They are also set up to activate the iPhone5 for you.

3. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

It's 10pm in your local time zone.

4. huskerchad macrumors regular

I don't know which carriers, but I walked by one in a mall yesterday that was advertising it in stock.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Check your local Sam's Club if you're a member there. That's where I got mine.