what's the true cost in trying an Iphone and possibly returning in less than 30 days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jena55, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jena55 macrumors member

Anyone done this?

I was thinking of keeping my VZW contract and not porting my number and just doing a trial period with the iPhone. If I have good coverage, no major issues I would port my number later.. but here is the real question....

Even if I return the Iphone in less than 30 days there will be some cost I am sure. What is the restocking fee... 10% and then also don't you have to pay the activation fee if you return after 3 days? I am just wondering how much I will be out if I get it and decide to return it. I am very weery of coverage issues & AT&T.

Anyone know if I order online if I can return it to a store or do I ship it back? are the policies the same? Just kind of wondering if anyone has experience with this or is planning to do the same thing.

2. Torq macrumors regular

For the iPhone itself there is a flat, non-negotiable, restocking fee of 10%.

$36 for the activation fee, if not returned in the first 72 hours.

Then a pro-rated amount for the services fees applicable to the plan you sign up for. For most services this is simply your per-month rate pro-rated by the number of days you kept the device.

If you added the 200 Text Messages option and used all 200, you would pay the full (non-prorated) amount regardless of when you returned it. Also, if you went over the 200 you would be liable in full for every additional message sent.

Obviously you have to deal with tax at the prevailing rate on any non-refunded amounts.

So in theory you can try one out for 3 days for $20 + ~4-10% of your chosen montly rate plan.

You can return via mail or direct to the store. Do it at the store if you are doign it within the first three days ... it will save a lot of trouble later.