What's the wait if I want to walk in for the iPhone 6?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I'm pretty sure I want to get an iPhone 6, but I'd like to play with them in the store first (mainly due to the screen sizes). Do I have any hope of walking in and buying one on release day? I live in a pretty small city as cities with Apple stores go (Madison, WI).

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
There is a chance... but not a good one (if you don't camp out).

Walking in and magically getting an iPhone 6 on launch day is unlikely.

:apple:

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Anything is possible. The question becomes, do you really need it on launch day, or can you wait a few?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
There is a chance... but not a good one (if you don't camp out).

Walking in and magically getting an iPhone 6 on launch day is unlikely.

:apple:
If I don't get lucky on launch day, what's the wait like after that, 2-4 weeks?

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I'm pretty sure I want to get an iPhone 6, but I'd like to play with them in the store first (mainly due to the screen sizes). Do I have any hope of walking in and buying one on release day? I live in a pretty small city as cities with Apple stores go (Madison, WI).
Go get in line now.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Even more if you want a bigger capacity iphone
Oh, boy... I do want a 32GB one.

What's Apple's preorder cancellation policy like? If it wasn't for these screen size changes I bet I'd preorder ASAP and not think twice about it.

thatdrewguy

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Online purchase is worst because after the initial rush of buyers the ship dates become increasing longer as more people get into the buying frenzy. On the other hand if the Apple Store gets shipments in every few days you would have a better chance getting one sooner by checking each morning when the store opens.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Online purchase is worst because after the initial rush of buyers the ship dates become increasing longer as more people get into the buying frenzy. On the other hand if the Apple Store gets shipments in every few days you would have a better chance getting one sooner by checking each morning when the store opens.
So order online. If your order gets pushed back, walk into a store. If they have one cancel your online order and get the phone in person. win/win ;)

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Oh, boy... I do want a 32GB one.

What's Apple's preorder cancellation policy like? If it wasn't for these screen size changes I bet I'd preorder ASAP and not think twice about it.
Dude, just preorder it/buy it on launch day, you have 15 days to return it after getting it

That's what I'm doing, 2 weeks to test it out.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
What you need to do is call start calling stores to find out: if they will have a "pre-order" or "wait list", and when they will know how many phones they will be receiving. Then you need to get to the store at least 2 hours in advance. Depending on the store and location, you will need to be there earlier than that.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
What's the wait if I want to walk in for the iPhone 6?

There is really no telling. I suspect this phone will have super-high initial demand. Maybe days, maybe a month depending on what configuration you want and how lucky you are (luck ALWAYS plays a part in it).

Apple stores usually get new phones almost every day, you you just need to keep checking online.

Your best bet is to queue up in the dark (4-5AM at the latest) on launch day and hope they have your carrier/size/color/capacity available.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Waited in line for a 32GB or a 64GB. I wanted silver or white and ended up with gray. Pre-ordering, if available, is the best option.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
After that, inventory trickles into Apple stores. You can check the inventory online, but I have no idea just how "real time" Apple's online inventory status is.

From what I've seen, after launch day Apple stores will have a lineup area roped off, and when the store opens, they will let people in line know what configurations the store has available. Those who want to purchase anything in stock will be handed a claim card and wait for their turn. And Apple stores will repeat the drill every morning until the initial rush tapers off.

----------

Why would it be more for a bigger capacity? I would imagine the reverse is more likely.
Demand AND supply. During launch, demand for all of the configurations far exceeds the available supply. It seems that the high capacity models (and last year, the gold-colored ones) are more short-supplied than the others. Just a product of Apple making more of the lower capacity models available. Same deal goes for colors -- space gray was much easier to find than the white or gold models. Even if fewer people are looking for the high capacity models, the wait time depends on how much of each configuration Apple makes available.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Demand AND supply. During launch, demand for all of the configurations far exceeds the available supply. It seems that the high capacity models (and last year, the gold-colored ones) are more short-supplied than the others. Even if fewer people are looking for the high capacity models, the wait time depends on how much of each configuration Apple makes available.
Didn't consider the supply side of that equation. I was hoping to get a 128 GB iPhone 6 easily, but that may not be so. Oh well.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Why would it be more for a bigger capacity? I would imagine the reverse is more likely.
My friend had to drive 2 hours away to get his iPhone 5 back in '12 haha and it took weeks

I guess it's gonna be even worse this time

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Someone logically explain to me why someone needs the iPhone 6 right away?
Exactly. IT'S JUST A FREAKING PHONE.
Coming from someone with ~1400 posts and someone else whose handle is Phone Junky...hmmm...yet, here you both are.

Of course "need" and "want" are relative terms, but if it bothers you all so much, gracefully excuse yourself from the room. This is a rumors forum and the thread title was pretty clear.

Last edited:

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Highly doubt you're going to walk in and get one. W/ the larger screen there will be mucho demand. If you do happen to get one you'll have no say over the color or storage. If anything you'll find the color you don't want, in 16GB, on the carrier you don't want.