What's the wait if I want to walk in for the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by simon48, Sep 3, 2014.

1. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I'm pretty sure I want to get an iPhone 6, but I'd like to play with them in the store first (mainly due to the screen sizes). Do I have any hope of walking in and buying one on release day? I live in a pretty small city as cities with Apple stores go (Madison, WI).

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

There is a chance... but not a good one (if you don't camp out).

Walking in and magically getting an iPhone 6 on launch day is unlikely.

:apple:

3. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Anything is possible. The question becomes, do you really need it on launch day, or can you wait a few?

4. simon48 thread starter macrumors 65816

simon48

If I don't get lucky on launch day, what's the wait like after that, 2-4 weeks?

5. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Even more if you want a bigger capacity iphone

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Go get in line now.

7. simon48 thread starter macrumors 65816

simon48

Oh, boy... I do want a 32GB one.

What's Apple's preorder cancellation policy like? If it wasn't for these screen size changes I bet I'd preorder ASAP and not think twice about it.

8. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

I have always walked into my carrier store and purchased at end of launch day. Not many people opt for the 64 GB phone so they seem to be readily available on launch day.

9. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

Online purchase is worst because after the initial rush of buyers the ship dates become increasing longer as more people get into the buying frenzy. On the other hand if the Apple Store gets shipments in every few days you would have a better chance getting one sooner by checking each morning when the store opens.

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

So order online. If your order gets pushed back, walk into a store. If they have one cancel your online order and get the phone in person. win/win ;)

11. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Dude, just preorder it/buy it on launch day, you have 15 days to return it after getting it

That's what I'm doing, 2 weeks to test it out.

12. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

What you need to do is call start calling stores to find out: if they will have a "pre-order" or "wait list", and when they will know how many phones they will be receiving. Then you need to get to the store at least 2 hours in advance. Depending on the store and location, you will need to be there earlier than that.

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

What's the wait if I want to walk in for the iPhone 6?

There is really no telling. I suspect this phone will have super-high initial demand. Maybe days, maybe a month depending on what configuration you want and how lucky you are (luck ALWAYS plays a part in it).

Apple stores usually get new phones almost every day, you you just need to keep checking online.

Your best bet is to queue up in the dark (4-5AM at the latest) on launch day and hope they have your carrier/size/color/capacity available.

14. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Why would it be more for a bigger capacity? I would imagine the reverse is more likely.

15. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Waited in line for a 32GB or a 64GB. I wanted silver or white and ended up with gray. Pre-ordering, if available, is the best option.

16. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

After that, inventory trickles into Apple stores. You can check the inventory online, but I have no idea just how "real time" Apple's online inventory status is.

From what I've seen, after launch day Apple stores will have a lineup area roped off, and when the store opens, they will let people in line know what configurations the store has available. Those who want to purchase anything in stock will be handed a claim card and wait for their turn. And Apple stores will repeat the drill every morning until the initial rush tapers off.

----------

Demand AND supply. During launch, demand for all of the configurations far exceeds the available supply. It seems that the high capacity models (and last year, the gold-colored ones) are more short-supplied than the others. Just a product of Apple making more of the lower capacity models available. Same deal goes for colors -- space gray was much easier to find than the white or gold models. Even if fewer people are looking for the high capacity models, the wait time depends on how much of each configuration Apple makes available.

17. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Didn't consider the supply side of that equation. I was hoping to get a 128 GB iPhone 6 easily, but that may not be so. Oh well.

18. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

My friend had to drive 2 hours away to get his iPhone 5 back in '12 haha and it took weeks

I guess it's gonna be even worse this time

19. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Someone logically explain to me why someone needs the iPhone 6 right away?

20. troop231 macrumors 603

Developers do.. :( I'm dreading this if there's no pre-order and if Verizon doesn't move our iPhone 5 launch day dates up.

21. AppleBiter macrumors newbie

AppleBiter

Walking in? I think you have to squeeze yourself in!

22. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

Exactly. IT'S JUST A FREAKING PHONE.

23. willmtaylor, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Coming from someone with ~1400 posts and someone else whose handle is Phone Junky...hmmm...yet, here you both are.

Of course "need" and "want" are relative terms, but if it bothers you all so much, gracefully excuse yourself from the room. This is a rumors forum and the thread title was pretty clear.

24. cnotes2019 Suspended

If someone gets in line for me RIGHT NOW I will pay you 8500 pesos!!!!!

25. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Highly doubt you're going to walk in and get one. W/ the larger screen there will be mucho demand. If you do happen to get one you'll have no say over the color or storage. If anything you'll find the color you don't want, in 16GB, on the carrier you don't want.