what's the weather like in san francisco in april?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gifford, Feb 13, 2008.

1. gifford macrumors 6502

gifford

Will I need a coat? or is it shorts and t-shirt weather? Can i swim in the sea? Could I get sunburn?
    Is it relatively safe to walk about at night?

thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

April is nice...highs in the low 60s, not a lot of fog. Just occasional rain. But yes, you'll need a jacket...you almost always need one on hand here, because the weather changes quickly.

Can you swim in the sea? Yes, but it's fairly cold and a lot of the open ocean areas have strong currents. There are a few sheltered place (Aquatic Park, notably) where you can safely swim.

Yes, you can get a sunburn. ;)

It's pretty safe in most places, including those that a visitor would go. But it's a city, so you do have to keep your wits about you.

4. gifford thread starter macrumors 6502

gifford

Thanks. Sounds not too dissimilar to london in april then (where im flying from), except I probably wouldn't swim in the Thames :)
    The weather is more an issue to my girlfriend than to me, she was getting worried hence the post. I'm off to india in two days so will get my dose of sun their.

Am looking forward to san fran, I hope to set up home their if possible, so if anyone knows of any IT related jobs...!

5. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

bring a jacket!!! i forgot mine when i went to san fran in april of 2003 (i was in town for only one night) thinking it was just going to be 'a bit cool' and by the end of the giants game, i was freezing my butt off. and make sure you watch the barry-less giants if they are in town when you are there.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

"The coldest winter I've ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." Samuel Clemens

Layers & drizzly weather gear. Or shorts & flip flops. Both, I guess.

Mornings & evenings will likely be cool, even chilly, though days can be pleasant, upper 50's to low 70's. On the bay will remain fairly cool, but move a half-mile inland and it can change. That's the joy of The City.

Include a little room in the travel budget (and luggage) for a late clothing purchase (sweatshirt, something like that).

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Of course, he never actually said that. But it does have a ring of truth...at least in the western half or so of the city. The eastern side is usually warm and fog-free during the summer.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's fine at night. Just keep your wits, and know what's going on around you, you'll be fine. Just don't go wandering around the Tenderloin/Civic Center/SoMa area alone at 2 in the morning.

9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

it's that bad, eh? so getting drunk and walking around those areas around 2 am is not a good thing...

10. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

While I believe Clemens never said that phrase, the statement is pretty close to the truth--if you live in the Sunset District of San Francisco during the summer you can get temperatures in the low to mid 50's in the afternoon when the summer fog rolls in while in nearby Livermore you can get temperatures in the 90's! :eek: Small wonder why many weather forecasters have said one of the toughest places on Earth to do weather forecasting is the San Franciso Bay Area, because its geography makes for tremendous differences in temperatures from the coastline to just 20 miles inland.

11. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Livermore? Nearby? Hmm.

But your point does stand, since the weather in San Francisco is usually quite different in the Outer Sunset and the Mission District.

Layers are your friend. A light to medium-weight jacket, long-sleeved shirts and/or light sweaters, plus some short-sleeved shirts if the weather turns out to be nice. Shorts and flip-flops will most likely not be needed.

12. djjclark macrumors regular

Just a short (52 mins) BART ride away (well from Dublin until they put a station in Livermore). :)

Plan on using layers - tshirt - sweater - wind/rain jacket

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Don't forget a small collapsible umbrella, a scarf and some gloves. And the layered look is definitely still in style...:cool: