What's the worst /dumbest thing you've heard from a CSR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thehustleman, Apr 5, 2013.

1. thehustleman macrumors 65816

We've all had to call customer service at some point, so what are some of the dumbest or just plain worst things you've heard from your carriers customer service people?

If not from your personal experience, what have you heard of from others?

2. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

Here's one from the other side. I worked in a call center as a repair rep for the local phone company. I had a lady keep me on the line for 45 minutes telling me all about her cats. Another man threatened to call homeland security if we didn't get his phone fixed within the hour. Trust me, the customers can be just as dumb as the reps.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…I don't have anything dumb, but I did get a Sprint CSR to admit the truth about a subject once.

I emailed Sprint about slow data with my i5, so Executive Services called me back. They were all ready to start going through a series of me checking out my phone, blah, blah, blah. So, I stopped the CSR short with a direct question, "Let's say I go through your entire process, Apple says my iPhone is fine and I prove to Sprint's complete satisfaction that my iPhone is fine and that it's your network that is killing my data speed. Will Sprint stop charging me the $10 data fee?"

"No." was the only repy!

Something different. I called Sprint for something at work once way back in 2003 from my cell phone. This was the heyday of Sprint customer service being complete and utter garbage. After the first 45 minutes on hold, I got mad. I decided that Sprint was not going to ignore me and was going to answer my call. Since I was at work, I put it on speaker and kept working.

I was on hold for 4 hours and 30 minutes before Sprint picked up!

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

My one dealing with AT&T just disgusted me so much I just let them have my $30. Not worth my time to deal with stupid pretend company.

Went to an AT&T store, asked the CSR, hey I got this problem, will you look into my account see what it says, and I did this in person so I can look at the guy in the face, and he couldn't find my account. REALLY? So I hand him my phone, and go Here, it says AT&T and I can make a call, so you tell me! the guy fumbled and fumbled and re-questioned if I gave him the correct information. FINALLY he found my account and just told me, CAN'T FIX IT, which I already knew. So I ask, how can I get refund, and he says YOU HAVE TO CALL THE 800 number for that. REALLY? I went in person and the guy has a NARROW set of things he can do? Just hand me off like that, give me the run around? Doesn't even offer to I will call HQ for you? Of course not, CSR are front line mannequins to deal with the public, having no power to solve real problems, just a layer of bureaucrats so you give up and live with what they sell you.

But thank God, am freed of AT&T now, and much happier with my current MNVO.

If AT&T is so %&$^$ unresponsive now, can you imagine if they had merged with t-mobile? One thing the government did right this one denying them the merger.

5. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I have no idea what you said in that post.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I've more often heard dumber things said to a customer care representative than said by a customer care representative.

I feel for all those on the front line.

7. thehustleman thread starter macrumors 65816

I've heard CSR'S tell people via sprint's online customer service chat say the 10dollar fee is for the "crab and shrimp" lol

8. Giuly, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I tried to get Sagem developers on the phone to tell them that you need to put letterboxing in cableboxes that connect via SCART, because 80% of TVs connecting via that interface are 4:3, while 99% of the content nowadays is 16:9. I called the hotline and the CSR told me 'Sorry, but you can't do that', which is the default to everything here. You do even get that response if you want meat cut in thin slices sometimes. It's seriously disturbing. However, not that I didn't figure out already that it didn't do letterboxing.
    So I called the UK support, who of course were more reasonable and connected me to France, where the 2nd-level support told me that the cable provider is responsible for the firmware.
    No, you can't call the development team nor would they forward your call to the responsible party, neither will they process your mail other than replying with a preset response that states 'you can't do that'.
    I put the cablebox back into the package it came in, and put a stamp on it, along with my cancelation letter. Because I actually could do that, and advertising 'Rita Rocks', a sitcom that was cancelled due low ratings after two season as the greatest thing ever on box office just made it easier.

Another story was the DVD drive of my Mac Mini, which didn't read disks anymore. I called the local Apple Hotline, they told me that 'they can't do anything and that it's my problem, but please buy AppleCare for $49 per call'.
    I called 1-800-MYAPPLE and sure enough, they told me to take the Mac Mini to the Apple Store and have the drive swapped out as the machine was still under warranty. Yet, because of the local schmuck, I couldn't RMA it.

The import post office told me that they 'can only track packages whose numbers start with R and E, but not J', and that they 'sent a formal request to the post administration of the exporting country to put numbers that start with R on the packages' so that they could track them. Sure enough, they didn't bother to respond to the request. I doubt that this isn't complete BS as I couldn't find anything about it online, but what are they supposed to tell those guys except for sending them a copy of the full alphabet?

To this day, I don't call local hotlines anymore, ever. US CSRs however do give a helpful answer for the most part.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

"Hello. It will be my pleasure to help you today"

It's the "help you" part I find hysterically funny...:rolleyes:

10. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

My gf's dad was recently sold a 16 GB SD card that he wanted to put a few hundred scans on it for a digital picture frame. I put them on the card for him and had only used up a fraction of it (way less than a gig) and asked why he bought such a large card. He said that the salesperson told him the card could hold "a couple thousand photos".

(Disclaimer: yes, I know this isn't exactly a CSR, and I know they may've assumed he was using the card for a camera, but really?)

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My question for you is, if sprint is this terrible, why have you been with them for a decade now?

----------

He admits he had one dealing with att, had a bad experience, and therefor att is the devil. People conclude a while company's merit based on a single intersction with some guy making $10 an hour. Silly, that.

I've had bad reps and good reps and I have been with every carrier over the past twelve or so years. Customer service if a company cannot be summed up by a blanket statement like this.

12. eyoungren, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Actually, it's been 14 years.

Sprint has been our only carrier. We got our first cell phones in 1999 and the carrier for those phones was Sprint (so we had to go with Sprint to use the phones we wanted to buy). Which was ok with me because back then, Sprint's reputation was for call quality.

The call quality to me has always been exceptional (even today) and we use our phones (even in this age of data) for voice mostly. Eventually we discovered the customer service problem.

Other than a few isolated incidents I have not had any issue with Sprint until September of last year when I got my iPhone 5. Slow data, congested network, etc. I'm waiting (and will continue to wait for LTE), and I've already demanded and received a free Airave. LTE is getting started in my area.

There is a method of dealing with Sprint. You don't deal with anyone online and you don't call them. Anything said to you online or over the phone will always be denied or walked back. I'm fortunate enough to live near (7 minutes) a Sprint corporate/repair store. So I go in if I have issues. They can deal with anything the online people can and you have a face, a name and usually a business card so if you're lied to you can call them out.

Fortunately, I've never had an issue with being lied to at the store. In my opinion this is because it's much harder to lie to someone to their face than it is over the phone (just to get the customer off the phone). That may or may not be true, but it seems to be my experience.

I deal with Sprint as little as possible and this is the best way to deal with them. The voice service (and eventually the LTE data) is great. 3G was just fine up until last year when I got my iPhone 5. I pay my bill and there is thus minimal contact with them. I was extremely happy to get my iPhone 5 direct from Apple because it means I only have to deal with Apple if there is an issue with my iPhone. The only thing I need Sprint for is cell service. It's eliminated Sprint from any involvenment in potential problems with my iPhone.

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

I agree. There are far more dumb things said by customers than from the other side. It's especially funny when you get those customers who feel they are entitled to everything free all the time just because they've been with the company for a year or two.

14. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

You Sir could not be speaking any truer. I used to work for premera blue cross health care as a Microsoft Group CSR. I can't tell you the amount insane dumb questions I got from Microsoft employees who insisted on letting me know of the education level they have, to try and justify the dumb question the want to ask or have already asked.

----------

Oh his bad I guess he meant a century ! Way to defend your self there.

15. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I have an iPhone with a 2 GB data plan with Virgin mobile (Bell) in Canada. I had a 40$ data overage charge on my monthly bill when I only used 800MB as per my invc.

I called up and said I think there most be a mistake and if they could please credit me the $40. I was put on hold for 15 minutes and when the person came back she told be that the charge was for going over my data 2000 MB of data.

I asked how much data overage it had, and if they could please explain to me how 800 is bigger then 2000. At this point the lady finally looked at my plan and and usage and said oh! I see I will credit you the 40$

15 minutes on hold and they never looked at my bill. I got a manual credit done and then a few days later their computer system found the error and made another $40 credit! I ended up having a negative balance :)

16. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

I posted this in a sprint thread a while back. Probably a month or two before the iPhone 5 was released.

Sprint has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. I dealth with them on behalf of my girlfriend this week. Her iPhone wouldnt get calls 50% of the time. Nothing, no voicemail, no missed call notification or anything. I began calling Sprint last Friday, and called probably 5 or 6 more times. I was told that the towers were 100% functioning in our area, and that it must be a phone problem. So on there recommendation, I took my phone to Apple, and I was told by the genius that it was a service problem. I called back Sprint, was taken through the same process again, and told to go back to Apple. At that point I demanded a supervisor and got one. She told me that I would receive a call back within the hour from her manager. That call never came. Upon calling them back, a supervisor hung up on me, because I wouldnt take, "Our towers show no problem in your area," as an answer.

At that point I did some research, and emailed Dan@sprint.com. That is the actually CEO's email address. I sent a formal, yet pushy and frustrated message. I received an email back within 20 minutes, telling me to expect a call the following day. I did receive that call the following day, and I was told that she DOES see they are doing tower maintenence in the area. Funny since thats a complete contradiction of what I was told when I called customer service. It was at this point I lost it, and demanded to be let out of my contract without paying the ETF. She told me she would have to call me back. I received that call yesterday, and I proudly state that I was let out without an ETF. Perfect timing. Gonna go to Verizon, provide a phone, and then when the new iPhone comes out, use my contract upgrade.

EDIT: And here's another story of when Apple sent me someone else's iPhone 5. (This happened on release day but I copied and pasted from an older thread.)

Summary of my story: I went through hell these past couple of days with Apple and ATT. Preordered my iPhone, got it delivered the 21st. It was someone else's phone. When I tried to activate it, the number listed was an area code out of state. ATT tried to just switch the sim, but in order for this to work, the phone first had to be activated. This wasnt possible as in order to activate it, I needed the last four of the social security and billing zip from the random number on the phones account holder. Went to Apple store on ATT's recommendation. They couldnt do anything. Had a manager helping me, and even ATT employees, as they had them in the store for launch day. Told me they couldnt do anything in store because it was an online order. Left, called Apple support, and although they were nice and apologetic, they again had no fix for the problem. They forwarded the problem to engineering, and I waited. The guy told me he hoped to have the problem resolved by next Thursday. I just laughed at this, as either I was returning the phone, or having the problem resolved one way or another by the next day (yesterday). I figured it was a simple solution, manually reprogram the IMEI and serial number on Apples end to match my number and not the number of the random guy in a different state.

I decided to call the number that kept showing up in my phone. Turns out he had the same problem as me, and he had my phone, in Virginia. After endless calling between each other, Apple and ATT, our only solution was to exchange the last four digits of our social and billing. Activate each others phones, and then switch the sim back to our own lines. Finally, just finished dealing with everything, and can finally enjoy the new phone.

Note: Apple and At&t did not even resolve the problem. Myself and the other person who had my phone in Virginia did.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Huh?

I hadn't mentioned anything in my first post about when we first started with Sprint. The only date in my original post was for my phone call in 2003. I was simply explaining that we started service in 1999.

Was there something I was supposed to be defending myself against? If you saw any attack I completely missed it. And I assure you that my response was simply about providing information.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just a clarification. That's actually the email address for Executive Services and not Dan Hesse's actual Sprint email. It goes to a queue where it get's assigned to someone working in Exec Services.

Emailing them is how I got my free Airave. Never deal with the Sprint online or call center personnel. They have zero authority to do anything other than grant you a miserably small credit (with supervisor approval). One of the reasons I always go to the store. I know that's not possible for some customers because of distance. That's where getting Exec Services involved is what you want to do. Only Exec Services has any real authority to do anything. And unlike the lies you get from the online or call center staff, Exec Services does tend to call you back.

Another way to get immediate and undivided attention from Sprint is to file a complaint with the FTC or BBB.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Back when the iphone 4 first came out and it was still only on AT&T I heard a Best buy employee telling some lady that soon Apple will release a firmware update that will make the iphone 4 compatible with Verizon.
    I looked at him and said dude, CDMA tech. This is a GSM only phone.
    He insisted that its possible so I just laughed and walked away:D

Me too:D
    The AT&T rep probably couldn't understand what he wanted either:D

20. dwaynewilliams macrumors member

dwaynewilliams

I heard a sales rep at Verizon tell a customer that she should buy the Galaxy SIII over the iPhone 5 because the iPhone didn't have LTE. I also heard a Sprint rep tell a customer that Sprint is the only carrier with true LTE.

21. rshroff2 macrumors 6502

I was told by multiple sprint csr's that a way to get faster data speeds is by turning off wifi when out. They said that it is constantly trying to connect to my home wifi while I'm out. So I asked if I was 20 miles away from home, would it still be trying to connect to my home wifi and they looked at me like I was an idiot and said yes, of course. At that point I said ok and walked out.

Someone earlier said to only go to corporate stores and that is correct. Sprint franchise stores are full of idiots.

22. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

O2 CSR when I was attempting to activate my IP5..." But you do not have a contract with us" ( been with them for 5 years ) Me:: How am I able to speak to you free on my IP4S?

CSR " I'll pass you on to my manager"...:D

23. syd430 Guest

Customer went in with a problem with his service. CSR couldn't find him in the system and once he did, he couldn't resolve his problem. Customer then wanted to get a refund only to be told to call a number, after already explaining everything to the CSR. Customer is unhappy because he now has to explain everything all over again to another person. I take it English probably isn't his native language either, get over it (coming from a native speaker btw).

24. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I apologize, but I laughed too hard at your reply x)

25. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Well, it will just drain battery life because it's trying to connect to other open wifi APs.