What's the worst spill you've heard of involving a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by east85, Apr 12, 2012.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

We all know that the keys are an open invitation for liquid, so what's the worst you've heard of?

I just viewed the other thread about the Olive Oil spill and just started thinking about what horrible liquids people have fed to their Macs. :D

2. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I saw a post about a guy who had flipped his car into a ditch and puddle water got into his macbook pro. That seems pretty unique.

Glad he is okay though.

3. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I repaired a laptop once that had a rum and coke spilled in it. The memory had corrosion on the pins and everything in the laptop functioned except the trackpad and keyboard.

4. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

There was this one time I had my MacBook Pro and I accidentally the Gulf of Mexico, but that was a while ago.

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

At the other end of the spectrum, there was a thread a while back when the owner accidentally fed their MBP with a glass of wine. I guess, if there was going to be any liquid damage, one may as well do it in style.

6. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

I wonder if this is the same person? Small world maybe?

http://athensohio.craigslist.org/sys/2886232556.html

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Being that I fix Macs for a living, I've seen tons of spills.

I think the worst was someone whose roof had begun leaking into their attic, but they didn't know for a while. It built up in the attic and eventually caused the ceiling to collapse... right onto their PowerMac G4 (this was when those were still basically new). So not only was there stagnant water, but soaked insulation and drywall, plus bugs and other junk in it.

Best part was that after cleaning it up and letting it dry, it all worked!

I think the worst recently was someone who basically had an entire glass of wine spill directly on top, but they didn't realize it (weren't actually at the computer at the time, someone else had bumped it and ignored it), so it soaked through. I thought I might get drunk just smelling that thing. That was a total loss, unlike the PowerMac. Even the hard drive was toast, along with all the data.

jW

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Back in the PowerBook days my friend spilled an entire glass or red wine on the keyboard, there was so much in it that when he picked it up it was pouring out of the sides. Sent it to Apple, they sent it back completely fixed with all his data intact, no charge.

9. hafr macrumors 68030

I saw a clip on youtube (linked from MR forums) of a guy pouring out about a liter of water on his MacBook (Pro?) which was turned on. Apparently it's not fake, and he claimed he hadn't modded it at all...

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There was a thread here about splooge getting on someone's MacBook.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've never spilled anything into my computers accidentally.

I did on one occasion throw my computer into a pool because I got frustrated and needed an excuse to buy a new one.

12. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Oh wow that's disgusting. Dare I ask what kind of insects you found in it?

That's crazy that it actually worked after the incident, good work.

13. srxtr macrumors 6502a