Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Well, my copy of snow leopard didn't turn up on the 28th. The post came at midday, nothing. I am going to need a second copy at some point anyway for my wife's macbook, so I decided to head out to the apple store. I had been considering going first thing in the morning after work (I just finished working nights) but the store opens 2.5 hours after I finish work and my youngest child hasn't been sleeping well, so my wife also hasn't been sleeping and I need to get home to let her sleep.

I consider getting the kids on the train, but at the last minute decide the cars more convenient and I'm too tired to walk to/from the train station. So we all bundle into the car and head off. For some reason, instead of taking the normal route, I turn onto the motorway. Big mistake, it's a bank holiday weekend, the motorway is jammed with caravans and I'm past the point of no return. Still, after a few miles it settles down to a steady 50-60mph which is still faster than the alternative routes. So I stay on the motorway.

A few miles later, and 3 of the 4 lanes are closed, all the cars are filing into the fast lane and we've slowed to 5-10 mph. Suddenly there are no cars behind me, I look back and the police have stopped all cars dead on the motorway, I'm the last car through before they block it, there are police everywhere, ambulances and fire engines are arriving, cones are being put up, we slowly file past the incident which seems to be just two cars pulled over at the side of the road, no visible damage.

The lanes open up again and the speed limit restrictions are lifted. I notice the car running a little hot but we've just been in stop start traffic. Suddenly the needle climbs into the red and I pull over. Some steam comes out of the bonnet but not much, I pour some water into the reservoir and it all comes straight out the bottom of the engine. I realise I'm not going anywhere and get the kids (11 months and 4 years) out the car onto the other side of the crash barrier and call my reucse service. I tell them my exact location (from the numbered marker points on the side of the road), I tell them about the incident on the motorway, that if they join the motorway at the junction I've just passed it's clear, and I tell them I have two small children with me. They tell me they'll be an hour.

Half an hour laterI get a call from the contractor recovery people (separate from the breakdown company who contract out the work to the nearest local people) who tell me that they are stuck in the traffic from the incident and where am I. I tell them what I told the man on the phone, to be told that they weren't given that information, and that it'd now be at least 2 hours before they can get to me.

I find out from my wife that the road was closed as there was a man threatening to jump off it. So I spend the next hours thinking about how much the car will cost and suicide (I had a suicide in my family recently, it's been heavily on my mind), keeping the kids happy and under control at the side of the road the heat and how tired I am, (haven't slept for almost 24 hours at this point.)

5 hours later…. they finally get to me. The motorway is still closed and by this point every route in every direction is backed up. The recovery guy is going to take me to the nearest services as it's the end of his shift, I wont be at the side of the road and can get drinks/food for the kids. Another truck will pick me up there.

The police don't let us into the services, it's closed off for "traffic management purposes" so we meet the truck at the next town. On the way back I see the man still clinging to the side of the bridge with police trying to talk him down. It's a 35 mile stationary tailback. The road is completely closed.

My car is taken to a local (to me) garage (which is closed so I leave the car outside) and I'm finally taken home, it's now 8 hours since I left the house, the kids are doing well but it's tense.

This morning I walk to the garage, (it's a few miles each way) to give them the keys, tell them what's wrong with it. It's the water pump/fan belt going to cost at least £2-300 IF I'm lucky. If I'm unlucky it's also the head gasket and will be £700. It's a holiday weekend so I wont get it back till at least Tuesday, I NEED it for work Wednesday and my motorbike is out of MOT.

I walk home to find my copy of Snow Leopard on the mat.

So, what's the worst getting snow leopard story you've got?

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I went to two different places, and they were out of stock. Oh well. I can live without it for now. :cool:

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Worst thing that happend to me? Having to wait for it to arrive!:mad: I don't have a apple store around - Three hours drive to get to one.

OttawaGuy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2006
What's the worst thing that happened to you trying to get snow leopard?

I watched Minority Report while waiting for my HD to back up before I did the install.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Well, I wasn't home on Friday when FedEx attempted to deliver my copy shipped from Apple.

They attempted delivery again today, and I was actually home to sign for it.

I know, poor me. :p

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm still using Leopard and laughing at all the people who are having problems with Snow Leopard. I'm just going to wait until Apple issues their first update (10.6.1)

ian.maffett

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Florida
Well, I wasn't home on Friday when FedEx attempted to deliver my copy shipped from Apple.

They attempted delivery again today, and I was actually home to sign for it.

I know, poor me. :p

This was me only I went to the FedEx facility to pick it up last night at 7:30. I was so aggravated that they wouldn't leave it (I know, it's Apple) since it was shipped overnight and they wanted to attempt delivery again on Monday.
I like it but I am still working on getting it all back to the way I had it before SL. Additionally, the biggest issue I am seeing is that it takes forever to empty trash. I mean hours. I am hoping that rectifies itself at some point.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Worst thing that happened to me?

I didn't get my favorite parking spot in the mall and had to walk an extra 25 feet. :rolleyes:

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
That I have to wait until September 2nd for the store near me to get it -_- and in Canada it is $5 more (sounds like nothing, but I'm 15 and no job right now [not because I'm lazy, I'm not allowed] so that's 1/4 of my allowance :()

chandler99

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
York, UK
worst thing for me in the snow leopard saga was ordering it with priority delivery... and its still not showing as dispatched and I've not received it either... :(

1st time i've been let down by apple...

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
ouch, that sucks!

my friend was stuck in that traffic jam on the way from cornwall to kent.... what should have been an 8 of so hour journey took them 28 hours because they ended up having to stay the night at a friends house in bath.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Sorry to hear about such misfortune. The only real thing that happened with SL I got charged twice for the same copy and I didn't notice until I got home to check my inbox. Of course I can't return the second copy seeing I only got one physical copy.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Sorry to hear about such misfortune. The only real thing that happened with SL I got charged twice for the same copy and I didn't notice until I got home to check my inbox. Of course I can't return the second copy seeing I only got one physical copy.

Apple should sort that out (assuming you bought from Apple). I once bought an NZ$750 iPod and got charged NZ$750 + AU$750. I contacted Apple and they refunded the AU$750 and gave me an NZ$100 gift certificate.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Apple should sort that out (assuming you bought from Apple). I once bought an NZ$750 iPod and got charged NZ$750 + AU$750. I contacted Apple and they refunded the AU$750 and gave me an NZ$100 gift certificate.

Yeah well they said they counted it and they did not have extra stock.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I ordered it from Amazon with the free shipping option. It'll take another week or so to get here, so I get to figure out of there are any horror stories I should avoid between now and then. I also saved $5 plus whatever tax plus an hour of traveling to pick it up. Woot.

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK
I'm still using Leopard and laughing at all the people who are having problems with Snow Leopard. I'm just going to wait until Apple issues their first update (10.6.1)

I'm using Snow Leopard, and 'laughing' at all the people sticking to Leopard.

Mine works perfectly, apart from just a couple of apps that needed an update.

Did a clean install. No problems whatsoever.

Summary: you are going to get hundreds of people on here moaning, but you are going to get thousands on here/not here - not moaning.

My iMac feels really superfast, can't people how responsive everything is. And the ridiculous thing is, even MS Word launches with one bounce - now that's fast. I'm enjoying life in the fast lane...!

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
I got stuck in traffic too, nothing quite as horrific as you though, my friend :eek:

Why did I think the motorways on a Bank Holiday at tea time would be fine? What an idiot! Joining the M60 was just like a car park. Normally going from work to the Trafford Centre takes me 45/50 minutes. Must've taken at least twice that on Friday.

Fortunately it was clear coming home but it was

Torrential rain

Sunshine

Torrential rain

Sunshine

Make up yer sodding mind!

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
A freezing cold wind was blowing over the Nepalese mountains. I was out there in the wild, hunting, watching for my prey. Or was I being followed by something I couldn't see? Was it the breeze that made the snow covered vegetation make these noises?

No, something was behind these bushes, something wild and hungry. And it was always hungry, even after slaughtering 5 sheeps of my village. It was down to the ferocious cat and me now, me and my spear.

Suddenly it jumped out of the grey fog with a big roar. We looked into each others eyes, how would I be able to defeat this wild beast. The it attacked, I stepped back, throwing my spear in the direction of the wild mountain of muscle in front of me. A millisecond decided if I were to live or die. The spear hit the creature in the head, it stumbled but its ferocious self still managed to reach me. With its last remaining powers it jumped for my leg. I was stunned, couldn't move. I fell under the weight of the beast. Teeth hammered through my flesh. I felt the pain but suddenly it stopped. Life had left the fur covered muscles. The Snow Leopard was dead.

I put it on my shoulders and limped back to my village.

That was the worst thing that happened to me trying to get Snow Leopard. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.