Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Sometime ago i broke the connector highlighted in red from the mb of my Powerbook 12'' 1ghz. Thing is the laptop works fine i guess. Even though i think it gets hotter than usually. Anyone know what is it?

AhCxToiUFjnNmtZT.jpg

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Can you hear a fan running anymore? Especially during processor-intensive tasks? If not, then it's the fan. Judging by its location, and the fact the laptop still works otherwise, it would be my best guess.

ftored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Well there is a noise coming from the laptop but i cant understand if it is the fan or just the hdd. I have been reading about a fan control program for g4 and I will give it a shot to see if i can hear difference in the noise.

ftored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
I'm in the process of reassembling my PB 12", it appears to be your fan cable connection.

Thanks mate. I guess i can't do anything for it so i will have to use it without a fan. Hopefully it won't get that hot for just word processing

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks mate. I guess i can't do anything for it so i will have to use it without a fan. Hopefully it won't get that hot for just word processing

If there were four wires (red, yellow, white, black) then that is definitely the fan connector. If you're handy with a soldering iron, replacing the connector shouldn't be too difficult, otherwise you'll need to buy a replacement fan. I don't own a 12" so I'm not sure how much heat it puts out, but I really wouldn't recommend running it without the fan. At the very least, invest in a cooling pad for the laptop to sit on. But for this price you can buy a new fan.

ftored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
If there were four wires (red, yellow, white, black) then that is definitely the fan connector. If you're handy with a soldering iron, replacing the connector shouldn't be too difficult, otherwise you'll need to buy a replacement fan. I don't own a 12" so I'm not sure how much heat it puts out, but I really wouldn't recommend running it without the fan. At the very least, invest in a cooling pad for the laptop to sit on. But for this price you can buy a new fan.

Thing is i broke the connector off the motherboard and not off the wire that goes to the fan. So i should be soldering it on the mb something that i don't think i can do with as I am not that handy with a soldering iron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.