What's this on the back of my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nidserz, Sep 6, 2010.

1. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Hi guys,
    This is my 3rd day using my iPhone 4, I haven't dropped it or done anything unusual. I have babied this thing, but I was just cleaning it and noticed this on the back of my iPhone. What caused this? It's new and I don't want any physical defects that I didn't cause so if it allows me a reason for exchange I would like to know.

Thanks.

You can see a condensation type of thing under the Apple sign and such. I can try to take better photos.

Attached Files:

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

What type of product did you use to clean the iPhone with?

3. Frazer19 macrumors member

Frazer19

4. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

this is why I keep my phone out of distance when I touch myself

5. lear45xr macrumors newbie

Did you remove the protective plastic film from the back of the phone when you got it?

6. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Thats awesome, it looks like your phone has burned/caught fire behind the glass.

Its a nice effect I say roll with it.

7. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

thats what I thought. If that happened to mine I would totally leave it like that.

8. warfa macrumors regular

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Definitely get a replacement. It may turn out to not be just cosmetic.

10. NCW macrumors regular

NCW

my thoughts exactly, did you ever notice any extreme heat coming from that part of the phone?

11. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Thanks for all the serious replies.
    I used a micro fibre cloth to clean it, nothing out of the ordinary.

Oh and the clarify its not that yellowish thing on the corner, its the black dots or whatever under the apple logo.
    Yeah, I was using it for maybe 5-6 minutes to browse the net and it did get quite hot. I was thinking that was the reason as well.

I will make an appointment with a genius tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully they do replace it.

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Is that some kind of lamp reflection near the sim tray on the back?:confused:

13. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

For starters your back glass looks all scuffed (or has a matte/brushed look to it) and not the glossy sheen that the rest do. I kind of want to the same question lear45xr asked. Did you take the protective sheet off first?

14. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

I have definitely removed the protective sheet.
    I think the matte look is from me using my thumb to "wipe" that area. I just cleaned and looked carefully its not scuffed at all.
    I also cleaned it with a micro fibre and noticed you can't see it very well unless I use my thumb and then it appears again. Once I wipe accross the area with my tumb it is very visible.
    I have made a genius appointment, but was just wondering if you had seen this.

15. Sauby02 macrumors newbie

Obviously just a reflection of a lamp. If its not take a couple more pictures like that and upload it from more angles.

16. rquick macrumors regular

It seems to exactly line up with the sim card slot. Looks like the paint on the inside of the glass was burned off.

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I've seen at least one other person with this problem. I think they posted about it on these forums as well and it looked exactly like what you have on yours. It looks like moisture got inside the phone and dried leaving those streaks.

18. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Good luck with the genius and please let us know what they say.

19. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Ok, I have tried to get some updated pics. Really don't understand how cleaning it with a cloth hides it but you can see in the picture below. The top is after I clean it with a micro fibre cloth, you can't see anything. Then I swipe my thumb a few times and it appears.
    Also have a second picture of it from a different angle. It is hard to capture on camera, but I tried. Have a yellow arrow pointing to it to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Get some iKlear and see if you can rub it out.

21. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

That's weird. I've never seen it on the inside like you explain. Hope your genius appointment goes well and nothing internally is screwed.

22. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Had my genius appointment.
    Well explained to her about the spots in the glass. She wiped it with a micro fibre cloth and I had to explain to wipe her thumb across and it reappeared.
    She ran a diagnostic test, everything was normal.
    She then took off the back plate in the back and I don't know what happened...

Anyhow, she didn't know what was wrong, explained they normally don't do this, but made an exception and replaced my back cover for no charge. She claimed it was a cosmetic issue, but had no idea and was puzzled because I think even after she removed the glass she couldn't see anything.

Thanks for all the help, enjoying my "new" iPhone.
    Too bad I had to restore and now can't jailbreak (thought I might get a replacement phone). HEeehe!

23. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Glad they replaced the back glass but damn that sucks about the jailbreaking.

24. civicsiboi macrumors newbie

Just to let you know that I had the same problem with mine. How ever it was on the front and back. the back showed up 1st. then I got a bunch of little round circles that would not wipe off. I mean the screen was covered in them. I would go back in and get asked for a new phone. I know you are worried about losing the jailbreak but they are going to come out with another one and wouldn't you rather have a phone with no flaws. trust me they might not be there now but they will soon come.

25. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Not to go off topic too much, but if you have your shsh backed up through cydia or tiny umbrella, you can downgrade your iOS version to one that is jailbreakable and get it back. It is not lost, unless of course you did not do what everyone in the jailbreak realm knows to do, backup your blobs. :D