Whats up Canadians??! Guess whats coming to you SOON!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by olternaut, Mar 27, 2008.

1. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This is well known. What is needed now is for Apple to work out a deal with Rogers and/or Fido, or for another GSM system to launch in Canada.

And it is written as eh? not ey?

TEG

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

There are rumors that Telus is considering bringing GSM into their network...

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well this is good news I guess, but I'm not looking for room in my bank account till I see an official release date. Unfortunately there's been far too many rumours and signs for ages, ...it all looks promising each time, but nothing has yet to materialize. :(

4. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

There is no GSM competition in Canada. Rogers and Fido are the same company. There is no reason reason for Rogers to do anything to get the iPhone in Canada. It would only HURT profits. They are already reaping the benefits of having tons of unlocked iPhones on their network, and don't have to give Apple a cent of that subscriber money.

Don't hold your breath for the iPhone in Canada, until another GSM provider enters the picture. That is still at least a year away.

5. olternaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

GSM? Is that the radio used in the current iphone? What about the 3G iphone? You realize of course that right off the bat your going to get the 3G iphone.......right?
    What carriers in Canada can handle 3G?

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Alright...

it's looking better for Canada. Looking forward to the release date being released! :p

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The 3G iPhone will be UTMS which is the 3G version of GSM, therefore it is mostly just GSM providers that will be upgrading to it. As of now Rogers/Fido has some limited UTMS, other providers use CDMA/EV-DO.

TEG

8. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

I guess I'll repeat myself. The iPhone is a GSM phone. It uses a sim card. Rogers and Fido are currently the only providers of GSM service in Canada. Whether with the current iPhone or the rumored 3G version, it does not change the realities of the Canadian mobile industry. There is only one option in Canada right now, and it's Rogers. There is no advantage for Rogers to come to an agreement with Apple now, other than to hurt their bottom line. Once there is competition in Canada, that might change.

This patent info that came out today changes absolutely nothing.

9. olternaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. Otherwise they would have applied for a patent earlier. I think they are applying now because Steve has negotiated a deal that would benefit everyone involved.
    Why would it hurt their bottom line (Rogers) as you say?

10. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Electricity?

*** running for cover ***

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Because Apple will DEMAND cheap Internet Access and a monthly fee from Rogers.

TEG

12. 3247 macrumors regular

It's not a patent but a trademark.

The fact that most patent offices also handle trademarks is the reason they're usually called Patent and Trademark Office (e.g. United States Patent and Trademark Office) or just Intellectual Property Office (e.g. Canadian Intellectual Property Office). :p
    At least, Apple does have more weight in negotiations than the average customer.

13. olternaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your right, its a trademark. But in anycase the only reason I can think of why this is happening is because he is preparing an extra announcement in what is sure to be a slew of announcements at WWDC 08. And that is that the iphone will be debuting in Canada.
    So argue about carriers and whatnot all you want. Bottomline is that its coming.

14. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I agree that it's definitely coming. But I don't think it will be on Rogers. Ted is too greedy to give into Apple's demands.

In announcing that Mr. Rogers was bringing some regular seasons Buffalo Bills games to the Rogers Centre, Teddy remarked, "We're going to charge high rates and we're going to have all the seats sold."

At least he doesn't mask his greediness, I'll give him that.

It will either be on Telus (assuming they switch to GSM) or T-Mobile which is rumored to launch in Canada in '09.

15. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Wait im confused...this just says they tried to get it in Dec 07....is this guy just 4 months behind in news or is there a new development??

16. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

Saying something doesn't make it true. You have no comprehension of the Canadian mobile industry, and unfortunately that's giving you false hope. The fact is that the iPhone is already in Canada, it's the most sold thing on the craigslist electronics section.

How you think that companies are going to give up on profit so you can get an iPhone with a warranty is amusing.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

No, that is not what it means. All it means is that Apple had decided to apply for a trademark for the name :apple:iPhone back in December. This didn't happen today or this week.

It's kind of like how they apply for dozens and hundreds of patents on technologies that they develop- and most of those technologies aren't even used. They just patent them to cover their butts so no one else could use them and in case they decide to develop them further in the future.

Even if Apple is approved for the trademark, that doesn't mean that they will automatically announce the iPhone in Canada. It's just another thing that they needed to do in the process just in case they decide to go for it in Canada. May as well be prepared. All it means is that they've begun to dot their i's and cross their t's in the event that a deal could possibly be worked out with a carrier (Rogers).

Keep dreaming my fellow Canadians. There's a better chance of the Leafs winning the Cup this season than an iPhone announcement anytime soon.

/Go Leafs Go. :(

18. LouTreize macrumors regular

I doubt Telus, since they're opening up (or have already opened) a new brand under it called KoodoMobile. Their have been talks about Bell introducing GSM for quite sometime (and i'm hearing this from within Bell). And their have been recent rumors about T-Mobile setting up shop in Canada sometime in '09.

This is sort of good news but the bad part is that if iPhone walks into Canada and I really want it, the only place for me to look, is at a Rogers store...that's unfair to consumers, plain and !@#$&@ simple...

19. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yes I'm very happy and yes Canada has only one real GSM network Rogers we do have 3G it's being advertised all the time so this is wonderful.

20. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I thought that Telus was for sure setting up a GSM network, and it would be ready by 2010, or something?

Was it just a rumor?

21. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I'll celebrate when it's finally here AND we have similar or same usage plans as our US friends. Imagine if the iPhone launched with the current internet download plans or only slightly better.

22. LouTreize macrumors regular

Oh don't get me wrong, even the Bell GSM thing is a rumor. Gotta take all this with a grain of salt.

23. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Probably a rumor. Until we hear it from the company themselves in an official announcement, I wouldn't believe anything. But that's just me.

24. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

Sigh.
    I refuse to get an unlocked iPhone; therefore, I continue to wait in silent aggravation.