Whats up with lack of At&T Units at Apple Stores?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by IpadMania, Apr 19, 2011.

1. IpadMania macrumors regular

Going on a week since any AT&T units hit either apple store in my area.

2. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

3. IpadMania thread starter macrumors regular

toysrus got a bunch of wi-fi only

4. fsshariq macrumors member

Most people who want the 3G iPad opt for the AT&T version since it can be used worldwide. You also have to consider that Apple also has to send a bunch of em to the AT&T stores since those are the only ones AT&T stores carry (the ones near my job at least).

5. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

+1

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The US is the only market for the CDMA iPad.

The rest of the world have just the GSM 3G Model, meaning these will be in much higher demand.

I would expect Apple would be focusing GSM models in areas outside of the US because in these areas it is the only choice for 3G, and the £100 extra for the 3G model is where Apple makes their money.

7. gregm123456 macrumors member

I ordered my white 16 AT&T one month ago today. It finally moved to "Prepared for Shipment" just over three days ago, but has been stuck there since. No charge on my credit card yet.

Meanwhile, wifi-only orders a week after mine have already been delivered, grrrr........

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

exactly, the us is one of ~7 countries to use CDMA, where as several hundred countries use GSM (Basically every country on the globe)

9. gregm123456 macrumors member

Checking http://www.ipad2locator.com/ shows wifi & Verizon models available at Targets all over the place -- at least where I spot-checked: Dallas, San Francisco, NYC, Denver -- but I got NO AT&T availability.

So it looks like demand is leveling off for wifi & Verizon, with a backlog of AT&T.

10. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I noticed the exact same thing. Hmmm.

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

The 4 Targets closest to me are all showing Verizon model availability of some form. No wifi or GSM models though.