What's up with the obession of having both iPad and iPhone 4!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tadde, Jan 6, 2011.

1. tadde macrumors newbie

Hey, i'm new to the forums and my name is Henrik.

The reason why i'm posting this is that i still can't understand how people and my best friend is obsessed with having both the iPad and the iPhone 4? Last month he bought an iPad (Which was his first apple product) and just one week ago he bought the iPhone 4!

I don't have an iPad(Although i certainly would like one) and a iPhone. But i have a Macbook pro (which i'm currently in love with).

I used to have the first gen iPod nano and iPod touch, and both of them were awesome. I've been playing around with an ipad and iphone 4 and i would never buy both of them. I completly understand those who bought the iPad before the iphone 4 was announced, but i think it's a total waste of money to get both of them when you know that they can be bought. Anyone care to explain in what the iPad is superior than the iPhone 4 besides the bigger screen? I'm no hater of the iPad, as i'd totally buy one myself if i had the money and i'm an android user.

2. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

The ipad has a bigger screen while the iphone has the ability to make phone calls. If one were to want both, it would probably be because ipads are a pain to carry around with you when you're out and about and can't make calls, while at home the larger interface is preferable.

3. MacDawg, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am certainly not obsessed with it, but I do have both
    And I use them for different things

I use my iPad for:
    - taking notes in business meetings
    - presentations to clients and customers
    - viewing my docs in DropBox
    - web surfing and keeping up with MR
    - watching movies
    - streaming Netflix
    - drawing and editing
    - etc

I use my iPhone for:
    - calls
    - texting
    - emails
    - camera
    - FaceTime
    - etc

While there are some similarities and overlaps there is sufficient differences to warrant me having both

Maybe not the same for you, but that is your choice ;)
    My choice is to enjoy the functionality of both for what they are designed to do

4. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

Same for me

5. tadde thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

It might be an obsession, but for me, I could afford it. It took a long time to roll the change I got from stripping at the old folks' home, but after a few months, it was worth it.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I plan on purchasing the Gen 2 iPad whenever that comes out. Once purchased, I'll have an iPhone 4, iPad and MacBook Pro.

For me, the phone is just that, a phone, meant for communication purposes primarily. Things I need on the go like SMS, calls, emails, IM's, etc is what my phone's main purpose is for. That plus the 300 games I have on it :D

The MBP is for the heavy work (if you can call it that) that I do. Mainly audio editing, watching movies, some pictures etc. Nothing too heavy I guess but you get the point.

The iPad will fill the gap between the above mentioned items for in that it'll (essentially) be a combination of both items with some drawbacks and some advantages. That, plus the mobility of it (don't want to drag my MBP everywhere) is what appeals to me the most. Something a bit more user friendly than an iPhone but not as hefty as a MBP. It'll also serve as my traveling iDevice as well.

I should note that I don't have a desktop since the MBP + 1TB backup drive is essentially my "desktop". I prefer the mobility of all the devices however each have their drawbacks/weaknesses from the other. With the holy trinity of Apple products in my possession, I'll have the ability to pick and choose what I need, when I need it without having to settle on one or the other.

All this plus I'm probably a little mental when it comes to my toys and I just need to have things :D

8. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I am the same here

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

10. wyneken macrumors regular

Me too mostly, though I do e-mail on the iPad, and probably half of my iPhone use is the camera and associated photo apps.

But I guess the broader point is that these feel like very different devices, even though they obviously have a lot in common. Even the same app running on both devices is a different experience. In practice, I don't find a whole lot of overlap in how I use them.

As to why I bought both of them in the first place, which is maybe closer to the OP's original question ... I don't know. Apple derangement syndrome, I guess.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't have an iPad (just the 4) but I could easily see how the devices compliment each other. I would no longer need to take a laptop with me for most travel (especially with VLC on the iPad) but wouldn't have to worry about killing my phone's battery while watching movies for the whole flight. Wait, actually, I just read the last sentence of your post, you're asking why people want both when you yourself would buy one? The answers in that noggin of yours buddy. I definitely wouldn'y call either one "superior" to the other, it's like saying which is better, my PSP or my PS3.

12. err404 macrumors 68020

It's nice to have a similar UI on my casual devices. Universal apps play on both so I save money. I just wish more apps had better cross device synchronization of data. I'd love to start a game on my phone and pick up where I left off on my iPad.
    Basically my iPhone is all ways at my side, but a phone is too small for extended sessions. Where as the iPad is a more enjoyable device to use, but I can't all ways have it with me.

13. tadde thread starter macrumors newbie

My question was why people would want both. I always thought the iPad as a bigger ipod touch and the iPhone 4 being capable of more.

I was just stating that i'm no hater of the iPad since i would love one aswell and it would feel like a different experience for me since i'm using an android handset. Before this thread, i kept questioning myself why people would want both the iPad and iPhone since their both run by iOS and basically does the same things.

But i see the benefits now of having a bigger "iphone".

Thanks for the replies!

14. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

How exactly is it an obsession? He wants it good for him.
    And yes, the big screen is the big difference. I have both and the serve different purposes. iPad is for home, and my iPhone is for the road.

15. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

i use my iMac for serious web browsing and graphics work etc, then i use my ipad for casual web browsing and gaming in bed and on the sofa etc, and my iphone for when i'm out for well a phone and gaming, i don't take my ipad out with me.

16. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

17. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

I bought my iPhone 4 about 3 months ago, and just bought my iPad last night. There are some things that my iPad can do that my iPhone can't compete with.

(Mainly web browsing, that bigger screen makes a world of a difference)

18. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

As many have said, I could have gotten just an iPad, but I still need a phone. I don't carry the iPad around with me and try to make calls and text with it. I just so happen to like Apple products, and the iPhone 4 was the phone for me. The iPad in turn comes in handy at night when m iPhone 4 is almost dead and I don't feel like sitting at my Macbook to do web surfing and such. Also for weekend trips when I don't want to take my Macbook, the iPad is a great alternative.

19. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

I agree with all the uses for an iPad listed here except for one:

Out of curiosity - how do you take notes at a business meeting with an iPad without looking like a complete douche?

20. silvrbullet macrumors regular

The iPad is better for books and magazines and web surfing. I use all 3 (ipad, iphone, MBP) every day, they all serve a little different purposes. I will admit that the iPad was a complete impulse buy, but I ended up falling in love with it and never once had buyers remorse.