What's with 80gb worth of backups on my HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smiller4128, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

So I just bought a 17" MacBook Pro a couple of months ago and of course I now want one of the new Retina Display models as I'm getting into photography and love how sharp everything is on my iPad 3 and want that for my MacBook pro. SO, I'm going through and trying to delete stuff off of my current MacBook pro so that I'll be able to scale down to the 256gb SDD. I've got a little over 220gb or so at the moment. However, when I go and check "Storage" under "My Mac" it says I have 80gb worth of backups? I find this odd as I thought all those were stored on my Time Capsule itself is it not? If not, is there a way to save those backups onto the Time Calsule instead of my MacBook Pro? Or even just limit my back ups to a total of just 4 and have it do a backup once a week type of thing?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

3. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

It's not under the "other" part though...theres "Music", "Movies", "Applications", "Photos", "Backups", and "Other". And that's exactly how it appears...I'll have to put up a pic when I get home from work.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "Other" was only the first issue in that post. Did you read about Time Machine backups? Did you read the rest of the post, including recommendations for apps to use in searching?

5. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, sorry. That's completely my fault. You started talking about the "other" part and I assumed you had went on a tangent somewhere else without reading first. My apologies and thank you for your help!