Whats with all the wasted space?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbell75, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mbell75 macrumors 6502

There is like nearly 2 inches of wasted space on the iPhone bezel up top and below...why? A speaker grille and one button dont need that much dead space around it. Why not make the screen bigger? 3.5 is too small, should be at least 3.7 if not 4.0 IMO

[​IMG]

2. celticpride678

There has to be more room for the front-facing camera camera now, but I don't think it changed from the previous generation.

3. mechanesthesia macrumors member

I'm guessing it's an aesthetic thing so that everything is symmetrical.

4. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dont need that much space for a front camera. The Evo has one as well as its ambient light sensor and proximity sensor with the speaker grille in a much smaller space up top and managed to fit 4 buttons below in a much smaller space too. Allows for a bigger screen without all that wasted bezel space.

[​IMG]

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Yes, but the Evo is ugly.

6. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Why do you need a bigger screen? It's a cellphone. Not a computer or a TV.

7. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's not wasted space, there is hardware behind there...

8. Screwtape macrumors regular

Apple's trying to keep the screen size consistent so devs don't have to program for multiple screen sizes. Making the iPhone's screen bigger will fragment the app store.

9. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point, I didnt think of that. They would have to do like they did with old apps to fit the iPad, stretch them. Well thats unfortunate, looks like the iPhone will be stuck with a 3.5 inch screen for years.

10. TSparger macrumors member

They may have also put that space there to keep your fingers off the viewable screen when in the landscape mode such as playing a racing game or viewing pictures, etc.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

yup

[​IMG]

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

This ^

I am perfectly fine with the screen size of the iphone I dont really want it to be any bigger. maybe 3.7 would be ok but I have no need for a 4" screen

13. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

So, hypothetically, if Apple releases the iPhone 5 with a bigger screen (similar to that of the EVO), will you object or proclaim it's amazing?

Just curious :)

14. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am sorry, but Apple is pushing this as a "mobile device" to watch TV, surf the net, video chat etc.. 3.5 inch screen for a mobile device is tiny. I wouldnt watch TV on it at all and even being on my friends iPhone online for more than a minute is ridiculous. If you are on a forum like this or something with lots of text, you have to zoom so far in to read it, its annoying. A bigger screen also allows more room for a bigger keyboard, something the iPhone could really use as well.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So you have a place to hold the dumb thing while you're playing games with touch-sensitive controlls.

How are game designers going to design for the EVO? Will they start putting 'dead zones' around the edges of the frame where a touch doesn't shoot/punch/whatever?

And what about TV shows and movies? You're just gonna cover some of that up with your thumb on the EVO? Hmmm...ok.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

No, that doesn't matter. So long as they keep consistent resolutions, they're fine.

To answer your question OP, it's not wasted space, as the hardware behind the screen needs it. To make the screen bigger (without changing overall size), they'd be changing the aspect ratio of the phone, and pissing off a whole bunch of users and developers in the process. To make the screen bigger they'd have to make the phone bigger to keep that ratio.

17. Mosco macrumors regular

The Evo is 4.8 inches in height, 2.6 inches wide, 0.5 inches thick, weighs 6oz and the iPhone is 4.5 inches in height, 2.3 inches wide, 0.37 inches thick, weigh 4.8 oz.

If you want a big screen, you are going to need a bigger phone. It's the tradeoff.

18. prfrma macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind a larger screen with less of the bevel and a similar sized iPhone. It's just not a deal breaker.

If it was, I would have got this ages ago...

[​IMG]
    Personally, the less plasticky a phone feels, the better. HTC Desire/HD2 has been the only phone that came close in that regard.
    I love how the Fandroids are proclaiming a +4 inch screen as the best thing since sliced bread. Good look using that phone outside of the states...

Also, it's going to look awefully dated by the time the HTC Mondrian/Scorpion comes out... (probably in a 2 months) :p

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

The iPhone is just that perfect size right now. Not too big, not too little - just right. If they make it bigger later on, that's fine. I will test and see if it's something I want then. However it's not an issue for me. The iPhone screen is perfect for the range of motion in your thumb. Anyone ever thing of that? Lol.

It's funny - but it is.