What's with Apple and keeping low stock at launches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Sep 22, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

They do this like every single launch, it's a marketing tactic but it will eventually deflate those huge opening numbers they get lol

2. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Between them manufacturing at the last minute and the extra secrecy, they just don't have the units. It's not as much as a marketing tactic as much as just them struggling to meet millions of demand.

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I'd say having China on tier one has a lot to do with it.

4. matttye macrumors 601

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the vast majority of their orders not come from online sales? If so it makes sense to limit the store supply rather than online supply.

Unless they're able to make plenty for everyone...there can't be an unlimited supply though :p

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

….and people have been saying this every launch, but it's never happened!

6. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

What secrecy? The fingerprint sensor was known about for months, the 64 bit thing was new.... I think but other than that the leaks have been down to a T again

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Every launch they sell even more devices.
    I think the main issue here was distribution of colors was askew based on who knows what polls they did. I think china and others in asia possible for more gold and silver and maybe a few grays? Can also be because is easier to make space grey. There are a **** ton of models this year so too many to handle maybe this time logistically speaking.
    Also, it's faster to make an android phone or the 5C due to materials. Ever since they have added metal, glass, now sensor to the iPhone they have gotten slower churn of their products. So I don't care that there are not nearly enough at launch if quality is maintained.