What's worse, Fox or MSNBC?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by classicaliberal, Mar 18, 2013.

1. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

1) They're both flawed.
    2) They're both biased.
    3) MSNBC is more biased.

Discuss.

Other Sources:
    - MSNBC Has Become Almost Entirely Saturated With Opinion, And Fox News Is Doing Much More Factual Reporting
    - CNN becoming more like Fox, MSNBC, Pew report finds

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You should change the title to MSNBC sucks.

That is your point correct ?

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

Can't stand either. But MSNBC Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow get on my nerves like nobody else.

4. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

If I did, it would vastly outnumbered by the overwhelming number of 'Fox News Sucks' threads in this forum. Just saying. ;)

And, no, that's not the point. I watch MSNBC sometimes. Rachel once and a while, and Chris Hayes sometimes. They have some good smart content once and a while... but It has indeed been my experience that the station is in fact far more biased than Fox News. I find it slightly ironic and worthy of pointing out and bringing up for discussion that liberals attack Fox to seemingly no end, while failing over and over to point out the flaws from MSNBC. The hypocrisy is a bit overwhelming at times.

At any rate, my own personal opinion is that biased media is nothing to fear, as long as you're intelligent enough to get your media from multiple sources and recognize that almost all journalists have an biases (which you can best discover by finding out the types of questions they DON'T ask), whether they're aware of it or not.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Cable news = 70% entertainment 15% news 10% commercials 5% poop.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

They're both awful.

And, frankly, anyone who has to get their opinions from strangers on television, or who needs to hear someone on television agree with their opinions, isn't really worth measuring.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They all suck but MSNBC doesn't make up their own facts like FOX does nor do they try and sell themselves as fair and balanced.

Dude, Olbermann hasn't been on MSNBC for years.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

Oh really? Good. Just goes to show how often I watch the news. :D

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

How funny. You couldn't even bother to post this without being objective. It has to be one or the other (read: Fox vs. MSNBC).

How about being a bit more objective here, eh? For example, here is the real story and the crux of the matter:

So in short, Quality of the news has fallen, and all mainstream news outlets are to blame for that. As far as the Cable outlets, they are all crap, and there isn't one that sucks less regardless of viewership, because you then have to judge whether their viewership is based on actual news events being reported, or if the people watching just wants to be told something they want to hear. Case in point: you were told what you wanted to hear, based on the article you read, and with no objectivity at all.

If the news outlets went back to quality over money-for-trash talks, then we'll truly see how good which network is compared to others.

BL.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Frankly, I can only stand MSNBC for brief periods of time. They have become almost exclusively an opinion channel with very little news. However, the one thing I appreciate is that if I am watching, I can count on the facts they base their opinions on. While I don't agree with everything they put forth, if Rachel Maddow says X happened, or Y happened, and then gives her opinion, I can usually take X or Y to the bank.

The same cannot be said about the Fox News pundits. However, if there is breaking news and I want to know what happened, I don't turn to MSNBC, I turn to CNN or FoxNews or one of the networks.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Are you saying they at least present commentary as commentary rather than fact? I only see MSNBC when I walk past televisions that are tuned to it. I haven't seen a huge amount of Fox. Their tone seems to be quite different when they aren't reporting on something political, but I haven't watched enough of it to determine how they choose what to report on.

12. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

I've had similar experiences. I turn to MSNBC purely for entertainment purposes... to get a particular view point of the week's news, etc. However, when there's something happening, news that's breaking, Fox and CNN have superior coverage.

When you turn on Hannity or Maddow, you know what you're getting. They can both use the same facts, and twist them to completely opposite conclusions. One sees the world from a liberal big-gov't social justice perspective, the other from a neo-conservative party-first perspective. The only thing they seem to have in common is a willingness twist the facts, to advocate the selective surrender of liberty for the sake of security and/or 'social-justice', and of course a tendency towards manifest destiny as opposed to divine providence.

13. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

They're both terrible, but at least MSNBC doesn't try to hide the fact that they are slanted. Fox News needs to get rid of the whole "Fair and Balanced" thing.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

MSNBC's opinion shows have just that, opinions. Their day time reporting is fair. On FOX, their anchors shake their heads and tell you what you should believe and stand for.

Could it be that her delivery of withering facts down upon the heads of the GOP is what's bothering you? ;) PS, Olberman has been gone for a LONG time.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

16. eric/ Guest

eric/

I don't like the GOP, so that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

This is a pretty important point. Both networks select what to report. One appears to deliver agenda-driven news (focuses on stories that support their agenda) while the other delivers a hefty amount of fact-based opinion (again, rather selective). There really is no common baseline for comparison.

It is kind of a pointless discussion, though, as MSNBC no longer exists as an independent entity, it has been swallowed under the mantle of NBC.

18. malman89 macrumors 68000

As someone who mostly leans liberal, but still thinks they're fairly centered, I too get annoyed whenever I hear Rachel Maddow's voice.

I trust neither as my news source and have no care to do so.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Its either her smugness or condescension, can't quite put my finger on it.

20. iMikeT macrumors 68020

This video embodies what's obvious about Faux Noise and why the propaganda works so well. Enjoy boys! ;)

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The fraction of real news on TV has dropped dramatically. But then, TV was never, even at its best, a very good source of news. I'm more disturbed by the dramatic drop in the quantity of original news in legitimate source-checked newspapers.

I have seen Rachel Maddow correct herself a number of times. It appears that she has realtime fact-checkers working during her daily rants.

I disagree. Rachel Maddow mostly tells the truth, and corrects herself when she makes a mistake. I find it much more entertaining. She is in a way a liberal William F. Buckley, Jr., who was also an entertainer.

Her smugness and condescension are an acquired taste. Usually MSNBC and Fox New are on at the gym, and, in the last few years, I find Rachel Maddow's smug commentary has been much more entertaining that the smug commentary on Fox. But really, who would watch these networks constantly anyway? At the gym, or stuck in a hotel room on business travel. Anybody with a life would be off living rather than sit glued to cable "news".

22. tmagman macrumors 6502

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'd like to amend that to 90% Poop, 2% News and 8% Entertainment

Seriously, MTV is not entertainment, just makes me realize how the country is going downhill entirely.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

<snert> now there is a reliable, unbiased source :rolleyes: I always trust the dead guy