What's Wrong With Government

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, May 28, 2013.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Lobbyists. for one.

If you think protections have been put into place that would prevent another housing bubble think again. Most ironic here is that one of the companies responsible for this crisis (Citibank) ended up with a giant infusion of tax payer money and is arguably stronger today with more influence and their lobbyists crawling over D.C. It makes me feel like government integrity has evaporated. While I'm always ready to bad mouth Republicans, Democrats are in the middle of this too.

Huffington Post: Congress Still Puts Out For Wallstreet

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Big financial companies will always have a lot of power within the government. It's a shame when they use it incorrectly, but it is very difficult to prevent them from meddling in government affairs.

Is this document, specially those two paragraphs, open to the public?

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

GERRYMANDERING.

The GOP and to a lesser extent, the middle is being destroyed by the efforts by the extremes on both sides. The GOP primaries are a joke now. The seats are so protected, that a majority of Americans can vote for Democrats, and yet the GOP maintains control of the house. Not only that, the only competitive part of the election is the GOP primary, where you have crazy person 1 almost always beating reasonable moderate 1. Look at what happened to Harry Reid and the witch lady. The GOP candidates that won in the primaries were the crazier of the two.

When did the GOP decide that the more radical candidate was better than the more centrist, more reasonable candidate?

Reagan Democrats were centrists and voted for him because he pretended to be a centrist. In fact, there are a lot of things that man did that weren't terrible for the country, and most of them were so centrist (or even liberal), that he couldn't be a member of today's republican party.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

? The two paragraphs come from an article linked provided in my original post.

5. Huntn, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Ironically they decided this soon after Reagan left office, when the likes of Slimy Newt appeared and the Contract for America where Republican's decided it was no longer enough to propose counter ideas without also engaging in character assassination, and intolerance for any view unlike their own, equating it to being un-American.

Both my wife and I used to be registered Republicans, many years ago, before the GOP turned hard right. I assume you saw my post in The Republican Agenda thread where Bob Dole said that the traditional GOP is DEAD, in so many words, it's now a party of intolerant extremists, not people who believe in compromise, the only real way groups of people can work together and gets things accomplished. Now it's "my line in the sand, my way or the highway, you traitor"! :mad:

I agree Gerrymandering is a huge issue. Someone proposed an independent commission that creates congressional districts based on geographical grids instead of for political advantage. I believe both parties have engaged in such practices, but the GOP has taken it to extremes.

[​IMG]

6. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I mean the two paragraphs that were copied word by word.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Couple of other extreme examples, by Democrats. The Illinois 4th Congressional District and Maryland 3rd Congressional District.

Attached Files:

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Oh, I don't know. My guess is that they could be identified if someone puts out some effort. Things like that usually seem to prefer hiding behind closed doors.

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So would you agree to a bipartisan, or non-partisan, agency that made congressional districts as close to rectangles as humanly possible? Get rid of all gerrymandering?

How about doing that and then changing the voting so that everyone runs at the same time, with the style of voting where you vote for your 1,2 and 3, and your vote automatically cycles down to the next person.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't have a problem with districts that are as close to rectangles as possible. I also wouldn't mind everyone running at the same time. Other than that don't change how voting works.

11. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I can't agree more that money needs to be taken out of politics. This is an issue that all people should be agreeing about regardless of personal politics. What happened to running a clean race where the candidate with the best policies and proposals won? Instead, we have corruption where politicians are bought off on both sides of the isle and the only way to be heard by our elected officials is to have the most money. So much for democracy.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree, Gerrymandering needs to be outlawed and a neutral independent commission established to rule on new districts being proposed by States. Another job for the Federal Government imo.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

VOTERS/CITIZENS

I would argue that perhaps the biggest problem with government are the voters themselves. They are largely not as aware of critical issues as they should be, nor do they have a clear understanding of how the government works. Thus, many are easy to manipulate with deceptive ads and the rantings of pundits.

This in turn puts politicians into difficult situations in which they have large blocks of constituents with completely unrealistic expectations.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree. We rail against the idiots being elected, but who elected them? (We did, at lease some us.)

15. TedM macrumors 6502

I think Pork is a really big problem for America, that and the non-existent ability of compromise.

16. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Nothing is "wrong" with government.
    Everything is wrong with the electorate.
    We get and deserve the government we elect.