What's wrong with people? version 91838299249830235

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Dec 12, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/12/subway.attack/index.html

I was just at a loss for words when I read this. Being attacked for saying Happy Hanukkah? What the hell is wrong with people these days?

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't get it. I thought all Muslims were terrorists. And hate Jews.

10 people physically assaulting...if I was the DA, I'd pull the attempted murder charge out.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you were the DA you'd be better off reading the report more carefully. Ten people verbally assaulted, one person threw a punch.

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

"the group began physically and verbally assaulting him" - I hope the DA will protect Muslims as well as Jews. Of course, it isn't clear how much of the group it was. Plus, you call them conspirators, and you can charge them all with the crimes of the individuals.

5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

yeah, but thats very intimidating... that muslim dude had balls

edit: it actually was the group.. not one person

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There is obviously a war on Hanukkah being waged by Christians. :eek:

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I can use my aunt's infamous hard-as-rocks potato latkes as ammo :D

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

If those people are identified as Christians then the word has lost all relation to its original meaning.
    I thought it was kind of interesting that the cops automatically handcuffed the Muslim guy too and had to be told that he wasn't an attacker.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ooops! My mistake... :eek:

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I thought it fit well with the top of WTF is wrong with people.

13. mpw Guest

So from this incident I can conclude that Christians are a nasty mob, Jews are weak cowards and Muslims are the brave defenders of humanity.... or should I just conclude that some people are ***ked-up and religion's a great excuse for a fight, and makes a good headline.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The latter is correct. You can also conclude that many people's perceptions and stereotypes of muslims are incorrect.

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think it makes sense - there was a pretty brutal attack, and you want to prevent anybody from either leaving or attacking anyone while you sort out what happened. When the cops got there, I'd expect that the attackers were claiming to have been jumped by the Arab and the Jews. Plus, you want to sort out who was on what side of the fight.

Meh - I'm not surprised you missed that. You couldn't have been the first, since I missed it on my first scan, and you clearly won't be the last as it looks like the writer of the article didn't want to make mention of that either. The Muslim being assaulted doesn't even make the highlights...

So they aren't all trying to blow us up? Or maybe this was part of their secret plan to make us think they are kind people, only to blow us up later. I think we need to make him convert to some sort of more peaceful religion.

16. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

If they were good Christians (or remotely intelligent) they would know that Jesus was crucified on Good Friday. It is Christian holiday not a Jewish one. It makes me sad that people will use the name of Jesus to start a fight. Happens way too often. :(

17. mpw Guest

If they were good people they wouldn't have bothered with a fight at all.

There's little evidence they were Christians as far as I read. They could've been dirty, evil atheists, Buddhists or even French!!

It makes me sad that people use the name of Jesus to start a fight too, but then it makes me sad that some people need to use the name of Jesus to be nice too. Maybe people should just stop using the name Jesus for anything.

18. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Why are you sad when people follow the example of Jesus and are nice?

19. mpw Guest

I'm not sad when people follow the example of Jesus(or the Waltons or Mary Poppins or whoever they want to follow the example of) and are nice, like I'm not sad when they're nice just because it's their choice to be like that without needing an example.

Did I say I was?

20. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Then why are you sad when someone uses the name of Jesus as the basis for their niceness?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That isn't what he said at all. Are you being disingenuous or are you simply not reading his post? He said: "it makes me sad that some people need to use the name of Jesus to be nice too". In other words, that they can only be nice if they refer to Jesus, rather than being nice because it's what comes naturally.

22. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I am not being disingenuous. Maybe I misunderstood what he is trying to say. I personally don't think being nice comes naturally. Niceness comes from having been taught to be nice whether this is from your parents, teachers, Mary Poppins, or the teachings of Jesus. The Bible tells Christians to give the glory to God for what He has done in your life, so if I am nice to someone that I would normally not be nice to because I am trying to follow the teachings of Jesus, I should give the glory to God and not try to take it for myself. I try to be nice to everyone, but there are certain times when my personal ability to be nice is challenged and I follow Jesus' lead and the advice in the Bible to maintain niceness. I don't think it is sad that I am nice in those situations because of Jesus nor do I think it is sad to proclaim the source of my niceness. I actually find it pleasant to see someone be humble and give the credit to another for what has been achieved

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... You don't suppose many Muslims feel the same way about bin Laden and the meaning of the religious moniker attached to him, do you?

24. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I am sure the majority of muslims feel a lot worse about Bin Laden then we do about a few Christians that start a fight. But I will agree the general idea is much the same, just the intensity is probably different.

25. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

I would disagree. I think it's actually more-or-less human nature to be benevolent, although children can certainly be mean and selfish and stupid, adolescents wicked and rebellious and irrational, and adults downright Satanic. Have you ever been cussed out, punched, robbed, or raped by a child? These things seem, to me at least, to start occurring primarily around the time that children hit puberty and enter middle school.

I don't see evil or cruelty as an innate condition of the human race, but rather a sickness, a reaction of imperfect creatures to a profoundly imperfect society and world. Saying that kindness has to be taught contradicts everything I know about children.

Do you similarly blame the Devil when you flip off the guy who cuts you off in traffic? On another axis, do you praise Dionysus when you get drunk and dance really well? Or does God receive the praise for that too?

I'm trying to understand how and why someone can give glory to an omnipotent being they've never met whenever they keep from slugging an irritating bastard, but it's a bit tough.

Niceness is really overrated. It's social lubrication. If someone is being an idiot, explain why. The human race really needs to get over this whole "offensiveness" tripe and just do whatever is correct.