What's your case-less solution?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ann P, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Ann P macrumors 68020

Used to be obsessed with cases but I'm finding myself using the phone without a case these days.

If you don't use a case, do you also use a full body shield, pouch, etc.,.?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No case, nothing. Just try to be careful is all. I don't set my phone down on rough surfaces and never on the front. I also do not slide it around on tables or other surfaces and usually pick it up with two hands.

I paid over $500 (subsidized) for my iPhone 5, I don't want to damage it (although I've winged it a bit).

3. eyoungren, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've tried picking it up one handed a few times. I usually end up dropping it. I'm pretty much a klutz.

4. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

When I get my first iPhone this fall, I plan to use a full-body skin because I hate cases and want to appreciate the sleek design of the phone. My ideal solution would be a bumper case with lay-on-the-table design, but it's hard to find many good ones.

The Slimline bumper is a kickstarter project and looks perfect for my needs. Unfortunately, the project creators have fallen so behind with many problems that the project is almost a year old with no delivery in sight. Oh well.

5. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I use a holster with a belt clip. I have two phones (work and personal), and use the same holster for both phones. I put the one I'm not using away and carry the one I am using.

6. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I just have a clear screen protector on the front and another one that goes on the back. Been like this for about a year and my iPhone looks nearly new.

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

My 4S has a few dents from dropping it while intoxicated but otherwise I just don't think of it breaking and try to handle it carefully and have had no issues

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I find what works is not dropping it. ;)

Seriously though, just being careful. My phone is either resting safely in my pocket, on a smooth surface, or held securely in my hand.

9. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I'm not exactly case-less, but I just use a bumper case. I like the bumper case since it still provides adequate protection if it only drops a few feet and doesn't land on something like a rock. When I drop my phone, it is usually always inside, so I drop it on a flat surface and the phone is fine. I've dropped my iPhone 5 several times from 4-5 feet high and the bumper case protected it. The main reason why I went with a bumper case is because it adds hardly any bulk and you can still see/feel the phone.

While I would love to go case-less, I just don't want to decrease the resell value when I drop it, which I know I will do. Also because I have a bumper case, I have a peace of mind about not messing the phone up, so I don't feel like I have to baby sit it. Oh and I also decided not to go case-less because I wanted to prevent my phone from scuffing as much as possible, which the bumper case has accomplished. I know this thread is about not using a case, but figured I would share my experience with a bumper case for those that would like to go case-less but would still like some protection.

TLDR: Bumper cases are a good compromise for protection and still keeping the original phone design (IE: not covering the entire phone up).

10. marcferdinand macrumors newbie

11. crepu macrumors member

crepu

which bumper case are you using ?

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Sweet fa is what I use and my 4's is spotless looks like new. The secret is an empty pocket

13. CHMK macrumors regular

Funny I have no case or screen protector as the phone looks beautiful without. If I do set it down I put it usually on the front as at least dust won't go in the camera. Besides which I have heard that the aluminum is softer and more prone to scratch then the gorilla glass 3. This seems to work as my phone is scratch free . :)

14. rockitdog Suspended

I've tried to go caseless but just can't get myself to do it. Just don't trust myself enough. I know use an Incipio Feather when I want to go minimal. It still shows the phones and gives it a small amount of protection.

15. fridayxiii macrumors member

I've used my 4S and 5 au natural, no case or protection at all, and neither have had significant scratches. My phone goes in my front left pants pocket solo, keys, change, lighters, etc. go in the right. I've done this since I had my 3GS so it's ingrained habit now.

When at my desk I place the phone on a notebook or something similar. I just avoid placing it directly on a hard or textured surface, and it's all good.

My 4S was pristine at sale (i5 launch), and my 5 has a couple small scratches from sliding outta my pocket & under my car seat, but that's it. All in all I'm happy w/how my phones have lasted & aged all while being able to appreciate Apple's design, unencumbered by cases, bumpers or anything else.

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I carry my phone without any case or pouch or shield. I carry it just as it was sold by Apple.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I do the same, except for placing it face down. Most of the time my phone is either in a business card holder, or on a couch next to me.

I get the reasoning behind dust and all but I just don't like placing it face down. I can't see the screen (I'd have to flip it over) and it makes me nervous to have glass against hard surfaces. If I have to choose between a scratch on the back or a scratch on the glass I'll choose the back.

Just me, everyone is different.

----------

Same here!

18. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

I also have never used a case in my life on any phone. I buy a phone because I like the OS and I love the design, so it's such a waste to hide the design in a bulky case in my opinion. But the iPhone 4 was the first phone where I bought a protecting clear sticker for the back, because I put the phone down all the time on the back. On the iPhone 5 it's even worse, because next to the back, the sides scuff easily if you use it like you are supposed to use it and not treat it like something that costs $100.000.

I have a Clear Matte back sticker:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only on the back, so that the back still looks good and I can still put it down on any surface without me worrying about scratches :) Also, I dislike the screenprotectors on the front as it makes scrolling feel rubbery, nothing beats glass :D So the front is always unprotected.

I also have a Black Matte extreme sides sticker:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This protects the scuffprone sides and still makes it look like you don't have protection on your phone. The extreme sides even have the small holes for the microphone on the bottom :)

I used to have red sides with added chamfer to the sticker (which would protect the chamfer also), but it's very difficult to put on and it felt horribly in the hand as the chamfered part of the sticker never attaches perfectly and sticks out. If you're going to get one, just get the extreme sides without the chamfer.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nothing but a screen protector.

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I use a screen protector and a leather pouch. At first, I was super-anal about putting it down anywhere, but I actually think the anodising is fairly resistant and in the end, I sort of stopped caring :p

FWIW, my iP5 is pretty much in mint condition.

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

used to use Best Skins Ever skin... I may go back to it when I get my 5s... Right now, cheap-o monoprice screen protector and that's it. I dropped mine and chipped it up a bit (even with skin on)... After the instant OCD/Panic Attack, I let it marinate for a few days and now I'm carefree... it's very liberating. And knowing I have AC+, I can simply send it back in and pay my $50 to get a perfect one AGAIN. This was MONTHS ago and I almost don't notice/care anymore. I will get a new one when I pass it down to my wife.

22. lexvo macrumors 65816

When I am travelling I have my iPhone 4 in a case. But at home or at work no protection, I keep it in my pocket when walking around.
    So far, only a small scratch on the backside in 3 years time.

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The iPhone is beautiful as is designed, don't throw a plastic cover over that nice couch!

If you are a klutz or under 21, don't listen to me.

24. madsci954 macrumors 68030

AppleCare+, no cases, screen protectors, or any clear coatings. After about 4 months with my black iPhone 5, there are a few scratches, all on the plastic on the back. The slate finish is wearing a little on the edges, but not noticeable until you really look for it.

25. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992