What's your fave Genre/s of music?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Eyeheartfrogz, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Eyeheartfrogz macrumors newbie

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I bounce between Rock (70s/80s) and Gospel. Yeah kind of weird when I alternate between Led Zeppelin and Michael W. Smith :p

3. bluap84 macrumors 6502

for me id say soft rock / (like the tunes on snowboard / mountain bike dvds) and chill out...bonobo / four tet / quantic those guys...

i also love a bit of Hed Kandi to party too

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Classical (and the sub-sections within that, such as Baroque, Romanatic, High Classical, modern classical, etc), trad, folk, R & B, soul, fusion, funk, ethnic, smooth jazz, some types of pop.....I like them all and listen to each as the mood takes me. No particular "fave", just music as the mood takes me.

However, I find as I'm getting older my tastes are.....evolving. I listen to R & R & pop a bit less than I used to, and like blues more, and easy smooth stuff from the 20s/30s onwards and am more open to varieties of music I would not have considered 20 years ago.

And I cannot abide rap, or hip-hop, and don't much care for heavy metal. But that's a personal matter. Each to their own.

Cheers

6. (marc), Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

(marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Like: Hip Hop, Electronic, some Funk, some Jazz
    Don't like: Pop, Rock, Classical
    Hate: Indie

7. Eyeheartfrogz thread starter macrumors newbie

I myself enjoy most genres but my faves are definitely Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass and a bit of old rock =)

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Short version: Electronic music in various forms.

Now here's the tl;dr version:

My first fave non-children's artist was Kiss. I wasn't crazy about their music; I was more into the comic-book image of the band. As far as genres go, I was more into disco, the more spacey-sounding, the better (think Donna Summer, Giorgio Moroder, Amii Stewart, M).

After the decline of disco, I picked up on New Wave (B-52's, Devo, A Flock Of Seagulls) and Synthpop (Howard Jones, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Human League), with the occasional foray into 70s Electronic (Kraftwerk, Synergy), Hi-NRG (Dead Or Alive, early Madonna), hip-hop/electro (Newcleus, Midnight Star) and industrial (Skinny Puppy).

Toward the end of the 80s, during my college years, I listened to lots of synthpop/alt-dance (Depeche, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, New Order, OMD, Information Society, C.C.C.P.). A roommate of a college friend introduced me to more obscure 80s Hi-NRG/Eurobeat like Fun Fun, Modern Rocketry and Divine.

The early 90s saw a turn toward techno (Speedy J, Richie Hawtin, L.A Style), followed by classic Eurodance (Twenty 4 Seven, Real McCoy, Corona, Cappella).

In 1996 a local DJ-friendly record shop demoed Paul Oakenfold's first Tranceport compilation and BT's "Ima" album for me, and I became a big Trance fan. For me, trance was a refreshing update of the electronic instrumentals I already liked, to an even more dancefloor-friendly beat.

A few years later, I discovered a burgeoning Modern Synthpop scene, with bands that were carrying the torch for the genre that was largely abandoned when grunge overtook the US music charts. I downloaded free tracks from Provision, The Echoing Green and Cosmicity on mp3.com, among others.

Most of the time since then, I've been bolstering my collection with "back catalog" releases of some of these bands, with a Top 40 dance-pop track or two on rare occasion (Lady Gaga, David Guetta) and a couple of new Modern Synthpop artists (Moonlight Cove, Rename, The Dignity Of Labour).

Unlike many people I know, I've never really stopped listening to any of these genres; they're all represented rather well on my iPod. If I had to pick my fave genres, I'd have to put Synthpop (80s and Modern) as #1, followed somewhat closely by Trance. Right behind is a three-way tie: Eurodance, Hi-NRG and New Wave.

There are genres I'm not a big fan of (country, hard rock/metal), but I don't particularly "hate" any genre. I guess that's the hobbyist musician in me; I can appreciate musical talent in just about any genre.

9. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

10. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Love: Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, Fusion, Jazz, Reggae, Blues, Funk, Classical

Dislike: Modern Pop, Disco, Electronic, Country, Rap, Hip Hop, Boy Bands..

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Classic Rock to Speed/Death/Grind Metal and anything that might fall in between! :D

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

LOVE- Alternative, punk, some metal, jazz, electronica, power pop, Motown, old school and blue-eyed soul.

DON'T LOVE- hip hop, teen pop, rap, country, classical, and techno has to be THE most intelligence-insulting music out there.

13. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I forgot to mention I also love old school Motown from the 60's and 70's. Also 90's Alternative

14. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Alternative, MOST types of rock, some screamo, incredibly little rap, and even less pop.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, agree with you & Lee on Motown - simply wonderful music.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

17. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Oh, and I also like some Indie.

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I was listening to Indie music before you even knew what Indie music was. ;)

19. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Grew up on English synthpop, alternative rock, and hiphop. Depeche Mode was my favorite band at one time. Then they dropped Songs of Faith and Devotion, which I hated.

For those that don't like rap, hiphop is very participatory - if you've ever tried to rap or bboy or use an MPC, you're better able to see the beauty in it.

Trying to make rap beats actually got me into classic R&B, motown, jazz, and funk because that's where rappers got most of their samples from. There's a strong correlation which is why nowadays, you've got Motown acts like Mayer Hawthorne signed to rap labels. And BBoys that'd rather break to Good Foot and Across 110th Street than modern rap songs.

20. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Although I am an electronic music fan, I must admit that there is more than a good-sized handful of bad, insipid, thrown-together techno that must have sounded good only to ravers strung out on Ecstasy. I'm not a fan of gabber, which is little more than way-overdriven TR-909 kickdrums (not oontz, oontz, oontz but POUND POUND POUND) or of jungle--geez, how many ways can the Amen Break be spliced and still sound original?

Small world, huh? I loved me some DM too. Still do, from their beginning through Violator. Then Songs Of Faith... came out, which was indeed a radical shift in direction for the band; I only liked one or two songs from that album, and haven't purchased another full-length DM release since. Alan Wilder, the band's "sonic genius", left right around then, frustrated with the way things were going. A friend of mine let me listen to Ultra and Exciter; my reaction? Howzabout "no".

I must agree, from a musician point of view. I like some of the old-school electro-influenced hiphop stuff. Newcleus, Mantronix, Midnight Star, and certain other songs. I particularly like the rhythm programming on LL Cool J's early single "I Can't Live Without My Radio". Similarly, I dig the avant-garde programming style of Timbaland as featured on Missy Elliot's first few albums.

I can usually do without the "n***as and b***hes" stuff, though, and I'm not a fan of "crunk".

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Death, black and trash metal and grindcore. Also all related smaller sub-genres (like blackened death metal and coregrind).

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Rap/hip hop mainly, a little bit of rock here and there, some pop, some metal, dubstep.

Dislikes: Most pop, RnB, drum'n'bass, screamo-metal (whatever the technical term is).

23. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I love progressive rock, classical rock and heavy metal.

I hate most modern music, hip hop/rap, pop and such.

24. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Shoegaze (My Bloody Valentine, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart), Indie-pop (Animal Collective, Neon Indian, WU LYF, Ponytail), Indie-Rock (Battles, Vampire Weekend).

I'm constantly looking for more music though, so I'd say I love pretty much every genre to varying degrees, I can only listen to to Death Metal when I'm angry (which isn't that often).