What's your favorite "One-Hit Wonder"

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"Bad Day" Named One-Hit Wonder Of The Decade

Billboard has named Daniel Powter, whose song "Bad Day" topped the Billboard charts for five weeks in 2006, the one-hit wonder of the decade. The magazine defined a one-hit wonder as any act whose second song didn't reach the top 25. To be fair, it only considered the years 2000-2007, because last year's hit-makers might still have another one up their sleeves.

Anyone old enough to remember 2006 should remember the ubiquity of "Bad Day." In addition to massive radio play, it served as the song American Idol used each week for the goodbye montage that played after a contestant was voted off the show. "Bad Day" was also popular overseas: The BBC News reported that "Bad Day" was the most-played song in the U.K. between 2003 and 2008. A cover version of the song opened the movie Alvin & The Chipmunks.

Powter, a Canadian singer-songwriter who said he has battled drugs and dyslexia in the past, took two years off after "Bad Day" made him famous. He returned last year with the album Under The Radar, which failed to mimic the success of "Bad Day."

Coming in at number 2 on Billboard's one-hit wonder list is the Terror Squad for "Lean Back"; number 3 is Crazy Town with "Butterfly"; number 4 is MIMS with "This Is Why I'm Hot"; and number 5 is D4L's "Laffy Taffy."
LINK

This got me thinking, what is your favorite "one hit wonder" song?

Here are some of the one's I've thoroughly enjoyed in the past:

Here Comes the Hotstepper - Ini Kamoze
I Try - Macy Gray
Blue - Eiffel 65
Who Let the Dogs Out - Baha Men
Rapper's Delight - Sugar Hill Gang
Whip It - Devo
Just a Friend - Biz Markie
Groove is in the Heart - Deee-Lite
Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
No Rain - Blind Melon
Epic - Faith No More
Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm - Crash Test Dummies

It's fun thinking back, remembering, and even looking up some of these old songs. :)

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Faith No More certainly weren't one hit wonders.

How about "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas, or "99 Red Balloons" by Nena

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Neat thread idea.

Blackstreet - No Diggity
Del Amitri - Roll to Me
Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
Ugly Kid Joe - Cats In The Cradle
The Union Undergound - South Texas Deathride
Verve Pipe - The Freshmen

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
MuchMusic has (or had) a show called One Hit Wonders. It was a lot of fun to watch sometimes.

Wheatus' 'Teenage Dirtbag' is always fun.

I wonder how many artists were dismissed as One Hit Wonders and turned out to be huge, too.. :)

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Faith No More certainly weren't one hit wonders.
I love Faith No More and enjoyed lots of their other stuff, but I'm not sure they had another song break into the top 25 on the Billboard chart. I think one of their follow up hits did make number one on a specific rock chart, but I think the criteria used for a one hit wonder doesn't take the specific genre charts into account.

I love that song. "I've got gym class in half an hour, oh how she rocks, in keds and tube socks, but she doesn't know who I am and she doesn't give a damn about me cause' I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby..." :D

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Famously covered by Girls Aloud in concert (check it out on youtube)

I'll add some more to the mix

"Bust A Move" by Young MC
"You Spin my Right Round" by Dead or Alive
"Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley
"I Melt with You"Halle by Modern English
"Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
"Always look on the bright side of life" by Monty Python

Big Boss Man

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Daniel Powter's first album has some other good songs (Lie to Me, Free Loop, Jimmy Gets High). Maybe they are not "hits", but he definitely has more than one good song. I hate to see him get classified as a one-hit wonder.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Radar Love
Radar Love has special meaning to me. I got out of the army and in 1975 I took a 2 month trip around the country. One morning I had 30 dollars on me, I was at a rest stop, and my car had a dead battery with one of the cells burned out. This was outside of Lincoln Nebraska and I had to get back to Rhode Island. I got a jump and off I went... I knew I couldn't turn off my car or I'd never get it started again. This was 6am. At 6pm I was going through Chicago. At 2-5 in the morning I was going through Pennsylvania and at 4 or so Radar Love came on the radio. It just seemed to fit my situation. It took me 36 hours of driving to make it home.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I love Faith No More and enjoyed lots of their other stuff, but I'm not sure they had another song break into the top 25 on the Billboard chart. I think one of their follow up hits did make number one on a specific rock chart, but I think the criteria used for a one hit wonder doesn't take the specific genre charts into account.

I love that song. "I've got gym class in half an hour, oh how she rocks, in keds and tube socks, but she doesn't know who I am and she doesn't give a damn about me cause' I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby..." :D
I think the criteria used to decide who is a one hit wonder is a bit flawed. Yes, maybe Epic was their only song to reach the top 25, but FNM always had a large following, larger than most one hit wonders. I don't think it's fair to lump them into the same category as a real one hit wonder like The Baja Men.

(not that it's fair to lump anybody into the same group as The Baja Men :D)

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Bros? Venga Boys? Rick Astley? Crazy Town?

For the larger crowds, I think The Flaming Lips would also count as a one hit wonder with their song "She Don't Use Jelly". I know they have a huge cult following (to which I definitely count myself) and quite a long recording history, but most people don't know that.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For the larger crowds, I think The Flaming Lips would also count as a one hit wonder with their song "She Don't Use Jelly".
That's a great song. I enjoy the group as well, but admit that this song was my introduction to them.

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
My guilty pleasure has always been Afternoon Delight by the Starland Vocal Band. There's definitely no disputing their one-hitness! Oh, yes, and also I Touch Myself by DiVinyls - I know they're not one-hit wonders in Australia, but it was the only ripple they caused on this side of the pond.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Radar Love has special meaning to me. I got out of the army and in 1975 I took a 2 month trip around the country. One morning I had 30 dollars on me, I was at a rest stop, and my car had a dead battery with one of the cells burned out. This was outside of Lincoln Nebraska and I had to get back to Rhode Island. I got a jump and off I went... I knew I couldn't turn off my car or I'd never get it started again. This was 6am. At 6pm I was going through Chicago. At 2-5 in the morning I was going through Pennsylvania and at 4 or so Radar Love came on the radio. It just seemed to fit my situation. It took me 36 hours of driving to make it home.
One of the great driving songs of all times!

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The actual Billboard list has over 30 songs listed on it.

They came, they conquered... they were never heard from again. After reaching the Hot 100's Top 10 with their very first singles, none of these acts managed to crack the Top 25 for the rest of the decade. But hey, four minutes of fame is better than nothing.

The one-hitmakers on this list have been ranked by how high their big song climbed on the chart compared to how far down the tally their subsequent highest-charting effort peaked.
LINK

I love #31 "Chain Hang Low" by Jibbs :D