Whats your favourite movie soundtrack and why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by anim8or, Dec 15, 2010.

1. anim8or, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Whats your favourite movie soundtrack and why?

I love listening to movie soundtracks and the association with the scenes that the songs are in stick in my head, its like watching the film in my head when a soundtrack comes on my iPod/iPhone....

Soundtrack can make and break a film and more often these days movie producers are employing bands/djs to write scores and perform entire soundtracks (Linkin Park for Transformers 2 and Daft Punk for Tron: Legacy).

You just have to look at movies like Pulp Fiction (or any of Tarantino's films) and see the significance of the choices made.

I love the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack, but seeing as its a musical film it seems a little obvious as a favourite....

I also love the soundtrack to the film RocknRolla (2008) it introduced me to some great songs that I hadn't given the time to in the past and now love many of the artists whose music was used on the OST.

What do you like and why??

2. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Highlander. Because the movie kicked ass, and Queen is the best band to ever grace the face of the earth.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Boat That Rocked - Various Artists, all from the 1960s. Most of them were hits, so if you want a great lesson on retro songs, and you're a young guy, this is the way.

Lost In Translation - Various Artists. It was just a good mix of songs.

Life Aquatic Studio Sessions with Seu Jorge (he does acoustic covers of Bowie songs in Portuguese)

Superfly - Curtis Mayfield, because Freddie's dead.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Basically any soundtrack by Hans Zimmer I like quite a lot. I'm more into composed scores than individual song soundtracks. Chocolat was excellent, The Forbidden Kingdom had a few select pieces that are beautiful, and E. S. Posthumous' album Unearthed that's been used in all those movie trailers is awesome. I like emotional film music. City of Prague Philharmonic does excellent, excellent covers of film music.

Oddly because it's not my typical type of music at all, I liked the Eurotrip soundtrack. :D

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yup!

I also quite liked the soundtrack from The Girl Next Door.

6. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Sound Track from Twin Peaks: Fire walk with me. Basically anything from David Lynch and Angelo Badalementi.

The Movie Traffic has great soundtrack as well...

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

for musical films i totally agree with: Nightmare before Christmas.. what makes it even more fantastic is how they were able to dubb ryhming singing lyrics in the german language version flat out perfectly

Ennio Morricone: Fistful of dollars, For a few Dollars more, The good the bad and the ugly, once upon a time in the west: no further comment needed

and whiel the movie itself wont go down as the greatest of all time: the "duel of the fates" piece in Star Wars Episode 1 still sends a shiver down my spine

for actual songs used: Tarantinos movies often feature great ones but my favourite scene is from "Spun": in the intro while driving through town the playing acoustic version of "Number of the beast" is just genious

edit: just listening to the Morricone movie intros again .... simply legendary

8. arkitect, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

[​IMG]
    A great soundtrack to a movie that could have been a lot better. ;)

Running a close second though is,
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    And another one...
    [​IMG]

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

*looks up that movie*

Oh, that's Pirate Radio - that's what they called it for the US Release. Yep, that was a great soundtrack and a good movie too. The movie didn't get a great reception at least here in the states, but I loved it. And lots of good music in it too.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh yes, definitely!

11. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Easily, my top 5 Film Scores:
    Jurassic Park - John Williams - This score elicits excitement, wonder and fear like few other soundtracks. All the themes are eternally memorable and iconic.
    Krull - James Horner - One of Horner's best scores and my personal favorite.
    Conan The Barbarian - Basil Polduris - No other score matches the brutal power and lush glory of this soundtrack. This is easily Basil Polduris's best score.
    Hellraiser II: Hellbound - Christopher Young - If anyone can capture the dread and awe-struck terror of one's decent into hell, Young has achieved this, masterfully, with this score. It features a powerful mix of themes and movements....beautifully orchestrated and completely engaging.
    The Fountain - Clint Mansell - Pure mindshaping audio bliss...nothing more to say.

What defines a great film score? The music must first be able to stand alone, appart from the film for which it was composed. Secondly, it must achieve a memorable and greatly enjoyable set of movements and themes. All of the above soundtracks achieve this, brilliantly.

My top 5 Film Soundtrack Albums (a little more difficult, and only off the top of my head):
    Kill Bill vol.1 (or both vol.1 & 2 as a complete work) - Pretty much every Tarantino soundtrack is great...but this one tops them all.
    Queen of the Damned - I love every single, customized track. Hell yeah!
    SLC Punk - Love the tunes!
    Garden State - Another perfect track list
    Crazy Heart - Wonderful, beautiful, moving, mostly original music.

12. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Has anyone here seen Mean Creek?

That has a particularly amazing soundtrack :)

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I usually like the scores better then the soundtracks. I can't pick just one. Some of my favorite composers for film are:

Hans Zimmer
    Alan Silverstri
    Atli Orvarsson
    Brian Reitzell
    Brian Tyler
    Klaus Badelt
    Christopher Young
    Clint Mansell
    Craig Armstrong
    Danny Elfman
    Don Davis
    Graeme Revell
    John Williams
    Harry Gregson Williams

Just to name a few lol... And don't get me started on Trailer Music!! Way to many to list there.

One score that stands out for me, is Braveheart.

As far as soundtrack, I like the Crow's.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

15. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Hackers

because I love electronic music...

Attached Files:

16. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I love the soundtrack for Last of the Mohicans. Especially the last track called "I Will Find You" performed by Clannad.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Blue Velvet's soundtrack is superb. Went through a Mulholland Drive OST binge a week or so ago. Love Inland Empire's soundtrack too... although not sure about the release of Twin Peaks: Season Two as a soundtrack, lots of padding.

18. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

The Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack is amazing.

[​IMG]

Vampires + classical music = totally rad

19. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

For my emo/alternative side

[​IMG]

For my nerdy side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For my grown up, "I like oldies" side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

one that has not been mentioned yet
    [​IMG]

mostly for the incredibly daunting performance of 'calling you' by javetta steele