What's Your Opinion of Hunting?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dmac77, Nov 14, 2009.

?

What's Your Opinion of Hunting?

1. It's a cruel and barbaric practice that needs to be stopped

26 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Animals are stupid and were put on Earth so we can have fun killing them

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Hunting is necessary to control populations of wild animals

74 vote(s)
    67.9%
  1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I was just wondering what everyone here thinks about hunting.

I personally think that it's barbaric and cruel. We have no need to hunt anymore. We can buy meat from a grocery store if we want it. There is no need to go and shoot an innocent and defenseless animal. People may say that they do it for the meat, but IMO they just do it so they can mount a head on their wall.

I got into a debate with a kid at school on Friday, because he was being really obnoxious about how he and his dad were going to go hunting this weekend (deer rifle season begins tomorrow in Michigan), and talking about how he was looking forward to slicing a deer's neck open after he shoots it. I just got really pissed because he thinks cool and fun to torture an innocent and defenseless animal. I asked him how he would feel if someone was slicing his neck open (while still alive) after getting shot, because that's how that deer would feel, and he said that my question was irrelevant because "animals are stupid and don't have feelings." And that "God put animals on Earth so we can kill them for sport and food."

I personally think people that hunt have major issues and need to get their head checked. IMO, hunting is just like murdering someone for the hell of it.

I'll admit that I like to eat meat, but I do try to avoid it and only eat it occasionally. I know slaughterhouses are cruel, but I look at it this way, people will always eat meat that's just how it is, so why kill another animal by hunting it when an animal already died and you can get the meat at a grocery store.

I also believe that the whole thing about hunting is necessary to control overpopulation is BS. There have been successful programs in the N.J. area where deer are captured neutered and then released, and this program has successfully helped control the deer population.

So anyways, what do you think about hunting?

Don

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Okay as long as you eat what you kill and it's not purely done for sport.

Shotgun or bow and arrow only.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i support hunting 100%

op, you seem to not realize the benefits of hunting and population control and the effects of it on the ecosystem

why do you think there are hunting seasons?

also, you realize we as humans have driven out natural predators right for the a great extent....

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think hunting is ok. Certainly not on the same level as killing a human.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Hunting is a much more humane way to get meat than your grocery store.

Deer aren't real cute and fluffy once you get to know them.;)

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Actually, there are people in the United States who rely on hunting for food. (I'm looking for an article I read recently so you can see it, it's a good read, but I'm having trouble finding it as I can't actually remember where I read it :))

Now, while my family doesn't fall into this category, we definitely ate/eat a lot of deer meat. And you know what? We didn't have any heads hanging on our walls and saved one hell of a lot of money doing it. My grandpa and uncles and cousins go out every deer season in Southern Illinois. They bring their kills home, and my grandma dresses them. We then distribute the meat around the family and eat on it for sometimes months, sometimes a little less.

Your view of how hunting works seems to be incredibly biased. I'd be willing to bet that you have never in your life been hunting, and therefore don't actually know what the practice is like. Sure, there are some people who get their jollies from the actual act of killing itself, but for others it is a part of culture and more about the social aspect and that whole thing called eating (which it is generally agreed is somewhat necessary).

I respect that you have an aversion to hunting, but labeling people who don't or who directly participate as cruel or barbaric really is disingenuous.

Now, as far as population control goes, I don't know anything about this program in New Jersey, but I can't possibly imagine if hunting was stopped in Southern Illinois. Seriously, just the other night, Friday to be exact, a 15 year old girl died because several deer ran out in front of the car she was riding in. While this will always be a possibility, hunting helps reduce this significantly. You can always tell when it is rutting season, because the deer are EVERYWHERE. And then, when hunting season kicks in, you notice a drop in the amount you are seeing. Anymore there are barely any natural predators for deer (at least in my area). Coyotes get some, sure, but the majority are taken out by hunters or car-deer accidents.

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

You do realize that when you buy meat at the grocery store, it was bred, raised, and killed to be eaten, right? It probably lived a barbaric, meaningless life while waiting to die for us to eat it.

If you talk to hunters, you will find that, for the most part, they have a huge respect for life and are very careful to ensure that their prey suffers as little as possible.

Yeah, I think hunting is fine, necessary even, and I'm a fan of venison. :)

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

elk is probably the best meat ever:)

so good

i find this segment VERY humorous.

is it just me?

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Wonder where I can try elk?

Hmmm, not just you. Yes, very humorous. I think the OP is very young. :)

11. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

You should try Black Bear. Hands down the best.

12. pscoble macrumors 6502

This thread serves no purpose just because of the way the OP put it. I mean just look at the poll choices. Most people who hunt eat or utilize almost every part of the animal they have hunted and are not cold blooded killers. Of course, some people will abuse the privilege to hunt but putting all hunters in a group with those people makes you sound ignorant and might offend people.

Most true hunters also have a certain respect and knowledge of nature and wildlife that most normal people do not have.

Also, the meat you get from hunting is far superior then anything you can get from a grocery store. (Ie. Elk. Too right, dukebound85, too right..)

Try to be a little more open minded, mate.

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Really, I didn't like it that much. Maybe it was the way it was prepared. Hmm... I might have to revisit that one if I can get my hands on some of the meat.

Also, OP, way to slant your poll.....

14. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Depends on the habitat. Alaskan interior Blacks taste like seasoned pot roast.

15. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Have you seen slaughter houses. Animals die a lot less painfully by a gunshot to the heart than they do being hung upside down and having their throats cut (in that order, mind you).
    pic
    Its not bloody, but disturbing.
    Pic 2
    You can see they have a leg tied up so they cant run off. They thrash about until someone slits their throat.
    I'm not sure how things are on all corners of the globe, but i can assure you that if an animal had a choice it would rather die instantly from a bullet than be abused and bled to death from its neck.

I also rather enjoy deer meat which cannot be sold legally (in PA at least, idk about other states) due to USDA regulations and whatnot. I dont hunt myself because i dont have the patience, but i have no problem if someone wants to hunt for meat.

Hunting for the sport is barbaric, i agree. I could never understand the point of killing something just for kicks.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok with hunting as long as you don't kill 20 dear and only get to eat 1.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sooooo not like oregon trail huh:(

lol

so true....which is why i find this statement ironic
    OP: Compare this...or something you SAY you are OK with
    Disturbing PETA video

vs

an animal living in the wild and free yet hunted but so barbaric according to you:rolleyes:
    video

OP..your logic is VERY skewed

I know which quality of life was better for the animal. now do you?

THAT is why I choose to eat Free-range options or hunt my own meat:cool:

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I am fine with hunting as long as you eat the meat of your kills. If you do it for sport I am against it.

19. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I converted to veganism about 6 months ago.. can't say I miss
    eating meat.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You eat grocery store meat, I suggest you go visit a slaughter house, and then visit a typical hunting setting (open forest, whatever). Which is more cruel and barbaric?

Ive never mounted a head on my wall, but fresh deer tastes pretty good if you prepare it correctly.

Most states have laws against killing a certain amount of deer.

21. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I am so thankful I have the freedom to choose such things. I could not stand having to live how a lot of people think I "should".

I am craving some venison jerky now...too bad I am away from home.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Fresh Venison Jerky, nothing better *drool*

We have 2 smokers that do a pretty good job on venison cuts also, this thread is making me hungry now :(

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Barbaric and cruel. But still one up on factory farming on the scale of things if one must eat meat.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You are a vegetarian then?

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yep. Since my early 20's.