Whats your opinion on cage fighting for kids?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Misskitty, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Misskitty, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

Misskitty macrumors 6502

Apparently its on the rise. Some parents consider it a form of self defense for their kids. Instead of parents taking their kids to hockey, gynastics, soccer or any other recreational activities, many are taking them now to cage fighting. Yes, pretty much a kids version of UFC.

Whats your opinion? Would you support it? Would you have your kids enroll? I dont see how this isnt illegal.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Whatever rules apply for kids with boxing and martial arts competitions should apply the same as for any UFC style of match.

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

MMA is a legit sport and kids are training in it just like they have been with traditional martial arts (karate, tae kwon do, judo, etc.) for years. Have you never seen kids compete at martial arts competitions? In my experience young kids wear protection and padding in tournaments until thy reach a certain age, like high school. A friend of mine teaches jiu jitsu and he does train kids. In his program they only teach wrestling and grappling to the youngest students and as they get older they teach submissions and striking. Why does this surprise or bother you so much? I have no problem with it as long as it's done appropriately. My 8 year old son trains at a karate and self defense school. He recently earned his purple belt.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I wouldn't call cage fighting a way to defend themselves. If parents want to teach their kids self-defense, have them do karate, etc then just an all out brawl.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can't fathom watching kids "cage fight". As they're still developing, tossing them around a cage, pads or not, seems reckless. I think they need to stick to karate and the likes. It seems as though the tendency for kids to take a foot to the face would be lightly lower. I could be wrong.

It is not illegal because no one has found any need to challenge it. People make reckless decisions every day, like speeding to get to their most unimportant destination risking lives of others, and stuff like that. ;)

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

When I was a kid in Tae-Kwon-Do, we would have full-contact sparring for the green belts and higher. We wore protective gear as well. I don't see this as being all that different, except for the cage itself - we simply had lines on the floor where we couldn't go out-of-bounds.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't watch UFC, won't let my kid watch it either much less participate in it.

8. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Yeahhhhh......no. Absolutely not. Absolutely effing amazing. Are these people for real?

9. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Agreed. As long as they are properly trained and it is being done in a manner where there is an emphasis being placed on discipline and respectfulness, I have no problem with it at all. The problem is the stigma attached to the headline "kids cage fighting"...that is where people draw a complete misconception to MMA and what exactly is being taught.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Are we teaching children self-defense techniques or to value aggression and violence?

11. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

You know what? I would actually compare it to dogfighting in the sense that even though they may be wearing all sorts of padding, it's still a brutal form of fighting and I don't think kids can consent to something like that. I'm sure some kids enjoy it but remember that many kids have pushy parents that will make them do it. When that happens you're pretty much forcing a child into fighting against their will and they may not want to or be able to say anything about it. It's wrong for that reason alone.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Soon enough, this will die out. The more we learn about head injuries, the less intelligent cage fighting looks.

13. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

You don't see a difference between TKD and MMA except for a cage? Seriously?

I'd rather see kids wrestling the clubs and through feeder programs to high school and college. They can transition to MMA after high school and/or college.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The ignorance in this thread is baffling.

Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is just that, a mixture of various striking and grappling disciplines into a new sport. Saying MMA is too violent (even though it involves grappling and striking) but suggesting an all striking martial art like Karate as a less violent alternative just doesn't make sense on any level. Getting hit in the head is getting hit in the head. It doesn't matter if it's in MMA or Karate.

Same goes for recommending an all striking discipline for self defense. It's very one dimensional and doesn't take into consideration that most real world fights involve some sort of grappling. Not to mention that a well rounded MMA practitioner should be able to end a street fight against an average Joe nonviolently by utilizing grappling and/or submission techniques where as a boxer or karate practitioner has few options other than striking. Heck, in the early days of MMA fighters with strong grappling and/or submission backgrounds would routinely win over the fighters that came from striking disciplines. The strikers' abilities were completely nullified once the grappler put hands on him.

Krav Maga is recognized by many as the gold standard for self defense and it is basically MMA but geared towards real world scenarios.

15. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Karate and martial arts is all about strength training, mental spirit training and learning it as a form of art. I used to take martial arts for 5 years when i was a kid.

Cage fighting is entirely different, people go into the cage with one intention only and that is to hurt the other person.

----------

Yes its real, you can see many uploaded videos of full matches on youtube. I think any adult who goes to watch should be ashames pf themselves.

16. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

If the kid/parent want to do it why not? Everyone does a fair share of crazy somewhat harmful things as a kid cage fighting is no different than fighting in the past.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As opposed to the full contact Karate matches where people go onto the mat with one intention only and that is to hurt the other person. Oh, wait...

I can understand not wanting to be involved in martial arts at all but I don't understand how kicking someone in the face and labeling it "karate" makes it rainbows and unicorns but kicking someone in the face and labeling it "MMA" makes it evil.

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Agreed. Most of the negative comments in this thread about MMA are uninformed and misguided in my opinion. All contact/fighting sports have the same goal in mind, to win the contest by neutralizing your opponent or scoring enough points to win a decision victory. No correctly trained (both physical & mental preparation) fighter, boxer, wrestler, or martial artist is focused on injuring their opponent. In fact, most MMA and martial arts practitioners greatly respect their peers and opponents in the sport. Sure their is often hype and trash talking before big professional fights, but the vast majority of that is for showmanship and to sell tickets. Dana White, the president of the UFC, actually dislikes the showboating, disrespect, bad blood, and nonsense that occasionally happens.

Another misconception is that cage fights are "no holds barred" brawls where fighters are allowed to brutalize each other. This is entirely untrue as there are strict rules that define legal vs illegal strikes and referee's are extremely hands on with the ability to stop a contest at any point for safety purposes. In fact the primary job of the ref is to immediately stop the fight when it is believed that a contestant can not adequately defend themself or safely participate in the match up.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

This is news to me, but, my guess is that the damage is equivalent to football. Lots of small blows to the head.

A lot is being learned about the effects of lots of blows to the head. It isn't good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

I don't hold out much hope. Watch any football game at any level. Watch a kid being helped off the field after being "shaken up". Every single game. Yet, football is expanding in popularity.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think the things that do the what in the back of the room and sometimes my car won't start.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Of course there's a difference. TKD is but a single martial art. MMA allows "mixing" of two or more styles in a single match - hence the name. You can have judo vs. karate, or Brazilian ju-jitsu vs. boxing, or whatever. Some fighters are well-trained in more than one style. But that's pretty much what it is, full-contact fighting within the bounds of the rules.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree! The term "cage fighting" connotates all the wrong things (macho BS) for children unless you are training them for the post-apocalyptic world. :p

23. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Cage fighting sounds dumb. Really dumb. Especially for kids.

24. mscriv, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm not sure I follow your line of thinking. It sounds like you are saying that we should avoid things that are potentially dangerous. I'm not sure there's much in life, especially when it comes to children, that isn't dangerous. Participating in sports carries the risk of injury with it. Heck, "play" in general, whether in an organized sport or not, can be dangerous. That's why there's protective gear, proper training, and supervision.

As an example, my 4 year old got his first set of stitches a few weeks ago. Yep, head injury. He jumped off of a small brick wall (maybe 2 feet tall) while playing and slipped on the landing resulting, in a fall that banged his head on the wall. He wasn't knocked unconscious, but he gashed his brow line to the tune of several stitches. As my mom would say, "boys will be boys..."!

What exactly are you suggesting as an alternative or a solution? Should we stop our kids from playing in general or participating in sports where they could get hurt. Is the only way to minimize risk total avoidance? :confused:

25. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

It sounds brutal. Though I like the idea an alternative to the traditional karate and kung fu classes parents try to put their kids through.

Growing up my parents put me through various martial arts classes. I did something like 3 years of kung fu, and 5 of karate. Good way to keep active, but remembering how classes were structured...I doubt any of us could have used what we'd learnt in a real fight :/

Krav maga anyone?