What's your opinion on Political correctness?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, May 2, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Far too long the MSM and the political arena have been the staple of Political Correctness. Well, that all changed When Trump ran his campaign and was successful. Makes you wonder about the subject. There are complex grey areas where expressing your feelings and opinions could be otherwise offense to others and considered racist and fascist, but agreed upon by people with your own beliefs. If PC can be factually construed as hate speech, or trolling it's not a good thing, but if PC skirts around the problems we face and no one is willing to talk about, because he/she might be called a racist, or a bigot, the problem can never be addressed and fixed as a community. My question is what are the benefits and the drawbacks of not being, or being Politically correct in general? You don't want to hurt anyone's feelings personally, but sometimes the truth needs to come out about what people are really thinking about and feeling, and if these feelings and talking points are not addressed due to PC then progress will never be made, right? Thanks all...

2. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

PC is often not helpful where truth is important. The same can be said in the fields of history or religion.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Most, but not all, of the people I have seen complain about 'political correctness' use the term term to excuse their rude inconsiderate behaviour toward other people. As if it is somehow surprising or unjust that louts get called out for behaving like a horse's a$$... Just my opinion.

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but there are folks who have taken it way to far. I had a lady yell at me because I used the word retard. I stated that I was going to retard the timing on my car and she overheard and gave me an earful about how hurtful that word is. I told her I would tell my car she cared.

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yes, this. So damned tired of it. You can hardly say anything anymore without upsetting someone, somewhere. My goodness, relax. Grow a set. Bunch of sisses out there. PC has done way more harm than good. It ends up hurting those that its supposed to help by creating animosity towards these people. Just get rid of it.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Too many people confuse being politically correct with having respect for people. There's being PC - and then, like with anything, there are extremes. I've seen, too often, that extreme examples are given as if they are the norm.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It may be that that is the new normal.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

People use the term PC as an overgeneralization for others who show respect for people. As if showing that respect is a bad thing or shows weakness or is being a "snowflake." Sorry - but that's crap. Having compassion and empathy doesn't make someone a "snowflake" or PC in the way I have seen it too often used here.

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Let's get real here. Some people care about respect, but others use PC as a tool in their SJW utility belt. Some people use PC as a means to stir **** up. Like everything else the jerks ruin most well intentioned things and ideas.
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2017 ---
    How PC of you. ;)

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Well, Trump has done nothing to earn my respect. And not sure calling someone a schmuck is any indication of PC'ness. I know you replied in jest, though.

12. Scepticalscribe, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

An opinion with which I agree completely.

And, again, agreed.

What is called "Political Correctness" started as an acknowledgement that language is not as neutral as some who speak and write it would like to think it is. This is because as well as being a means of communicating words, ideas, feelings and facts, language carries the burden of expressing attitudes, prejudices, and values, - and sometimes serves to define - and reinforce - cultural and social norms.

Thus, language is a tool of power, - one of many - as well as a means of conveying ideas and information.

And the idea of what we call political correctness developed to challenge that, to make people think about what they said - and how they said it - before opening their mouths to address someone whom they had long been used to being allowed to casually insult if they so chose. Political correctness meant that minorities (gays, blacks, women) could demand that language be used to respect them, rather than as something used to belittle and insult and offend them.

The development of what is called political correctness has meant that it is no longer socially (or politically) acceptable to address individuals from minority groups, in terms that they consider offensive, and that is no bad thing.

It removes the right to offend, (disguised as giving voice to an uninhibited expression of free speech - for, of course, free speech does not include the right to give offence) that some groups believed their position had bestowed upon them as a right.

Historically, the more powerful groups have used language to define the less powerful groups in society - very often in terms and ways which served to reinforce the power imbalance, and sometimes, in ways that were deliberately belittling or offensive. Thus, whites defined blacks, (and other races), men defined and described women (and gay men, and women), and the rich defined the poor, invariably in terms that belittled, condescended to, and were sometimes downright insulting or offensive.

So, my opinion on political correctness is that - broadly speaking - it has been a good thing, in that it has allowed minority groups to challenge language as it applied to - and was applied to - them, and allowed them to reclaim it; it has also made the more powerful groups obliged to give some thought to how they address those from other groups before opening their mouths.

Have some occasionally taken it too far? Perhaps, yes, but that is no reason to question the very idea of political correctness itself (or is a feeble excuse to do so), any more than your standard clichéd central casting issued alienated white male murderously wielding weaponry in a school or mall is taken as justification to encourage a severe examination of attitudes on the revered Second Amendment.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

You bring up an interesting point. If someone needs to earn your respect to be worthy of PC behavior then PC is useless and meaningless. People are already respectful towards people they respect. Per your #7 post respect is the core principle here.

I think I just won this thread.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

No because my comment wasn't un pc. And you seem to not understand the thrust of my post. You stole fizzy lifting drinks, bumped into the walls which now need to be cleaned and sterilized so you get nothing. Good day sir. I said good day.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

LOL

16. samcraig macrumors P6

But did you get the reference without Google? I hope so.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm curious to know the last time someone had to pay a fine for speaking in a non-politically-correct fashion? The last time someone served a jail sentence for violations of the US politically-correction speech statutes?

Oh, right. That never happened.

But sure enough, we periodically get some outraged person wandering in here to bleat about how terrible it is that they have to live in a world with "political correctness." That things were so much better in daddy's day when a man could call another human being a ****** to his face without consequence.

There are rude, ignorant and unpleasant people in this world. Most of us have to tolerate them. That's the burden we must bear.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Of course. Too easy.

19. Scepticalscribe, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, you didn't.

This is because you missed the point that language had been used as part of expressing the core structural inequalities - a means of subtly supporting the foundations of those core structural inequalities. Indeed, by reinforcing the core message that these groups - by definition - did not receive and did not merit, respect, especially because language is a tool of power - and the unfair application of power - when used to describe and define certain groups (gays, women, blacks and other people of colour, the poor).

Thus, you were defined in terms of the language used to describe certain groups, - rather than being in a position to use language to define yourself - and your whole existence was viewed through the prism of how the language of the powerful and dominant described what you were born into (a black, a gay person, a woman) and in the language that others had been allowed to use to describe you - in terms that showed just how skewed and loaded language can be at times.

In other words, structural - and automatic - disrespect was built into how such groups were described and defined when language was used to describe them, and this lack or respect, and the consequent challenging of the use of certain words - and nouns - and adjectives - in order to insist on respect was one of the core driving principles behind the concept of political correctness.

Re Mr Trump, and earned respect, there are two key differences.

The first is that he himself has sought to re-legitimate - or allow, or permit - the use of offensive and insulting language when describing - or addressing - individuals from certain groups (again, women, and certain minorities); the second is that respect given (or withheld) has nothing to do with abusive offensive language directed at minorities (and supported by sections of society), but, has come about as a result of his own actions.

Indeed, if Mr Trump respected himself and respected his office (and I doubt whether he does), he would be accorded a lot more respect. It is hard to argue that he has conducted himself with dignity or held himself in respect, since he took office, or - for that matter - that he actually respects the office and its traditions.

In fact, many of his actions since he took office have had the effect of squandering respect - and I write this as someone who has been very struck by the extraordinary deference and respect that Americans tend to extend to whoever holds that office.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It's difficult for me to listen to someone that I do not respect discussing respect.

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

What problems aren't being solved because of political correctness?

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There is that lady in the other thread standing trial for laughing a Jeffy Sessions..

23. daflake macrumors 6502a

But there is a difference between having respect and empathy and acting as if it is a war and that some words should just be banned because some people get hurt by them. Again, see my post above... What I do not do is go and call people retarded or for the most, names in general but there is nothing with the word in general if used properly. Sadly there are a lot of people who can't seem to simply let things, such as name calling, roll off their backs as was the woman above who felt I should be scolded. I don't call them snowflakes, I call them ignorant.

24. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I want to refer to my car's transmission as "tranny" like we used to, but now it's a totally different meaning. "Trans" isn't a good shortcut for "transmission" anymore, either, so now I just write out the whole word.

What do I think about Political Correctness? When it started to appear around 1990, I thought it was a joke. I didn't imagine anyone taking it so seriously. George Carlin was stepping into the waters with his "Euphemisms" bit -- about how we numb the meanings of conditions by changing their words. My favorite was how "shellshock" devolved into "post-traumatic stress disorder" (this was before we turned it into the even more-bland acronym, "PTSD").

But then again, I was never the kind of person to use "n---" and other obviously-disparaging terms. I'm concerned that when I say that I think PC-ness is silly, I'll be lumped in with the racist jackholes who want to keep calling black people "t-- b-----"* and worse.

* a term I first heard in the movie Uncle Remus and totally didn't realize how racist it was

25. samcraig macrumors P6

What you're referring to is the difference between using the term PC to be either a defining term or a derogatory one. The same has happened to the term "liberal." Some use it to describe it correctly and others using it as an epithet.

Like I said earlier - people will take being PC (and everything) to extremes. It's when the phrase is used so broadly that it becomes ridiculous. Some confuse being PC as having empathy or sympathy. Some take pride in their ability to rationalize being a jack hole and just say that they don't need to be PC. Being a jack hole is just that - being a jack hole. Has nothing to do with being PC or not.