What's your opinion on the Confederate flag?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sehnsucht, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

I know this can be a bit of a touchy subject, but I am honestly curious. For starters, the Confederate flag is also the state flag of Alabama, but I almost never see it associated with anything having to do with Alabama. When I see people wearing it on their hats or their shirts, it's always used to show "redneck pride." Some ones I've seen recently have messages like, "Redneck Woman," "Badass Country Chick" and yes, "Redneck Pride." I saw one just yesterday that said, "I don't wear this shirt to piss people off, but if it does, oh well."

Therefore, I ask: Why do people display the Confederate flag? Given its reputation as a symbol of racism and white-trashiness, I can't imagine that most people wear it truly to show that they're proud to be from Alabama. IMHO, it's almost like someone wearing a swastika and saying, "Oh, don't be offended. The swastika is really a religious symbol from several eastern religions, and was around for centuries before the Nazi Party adopted it." While historically, that's true, it has nevertheless been stigmatized. And you know that. ;)

Please chime in, I want to have a civil, polite discussion here. :)

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Some people use it to be rebellious, some use it to display pride in whatever it stands for these days. Personally, I think people who still connect it to the Confederate States of America need to get with the times. ;)

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i am a fan of it mainly for my preference of states rights over federal regulation

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Oh boy, I can see this discussion going places.

Personally, I think people who like displaying the Confederate flag usually enjoy everything mentioned above:

When I see people who so proudly show it off, not only do I think of them as "rednecks", but I think of them as uneducated people who are also unwilling to respect the views of others. From what I can tell, most everyone I've known to display their "redneck pride" are usually full of themselves and don't care about what anyone else thinks.

(i.e. Those that are proud of the Confederate flag are also the reason why the world hates America.)

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Its a part of history and should be displayed.
    It should also be taught whatit stands for and not forgotten as simply trying to ignore that it never happened does not help us where we came from and where we are today.
    Good bad or indifferent it is part of our history.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Like the PRSI forum? :p

As far as showing off the confederate flag goes.....you lost, get over it.

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Here's what I want to know.

How do people get away with displaying the Confederate flag as the license plate on their pickup truck?! I mean, a cop can pull you over for not having a proper license plate... so what -- does the driver just accept the ticket?

8. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

Oklahoma only requires one license plate on the rear of the vehicle, so the front plate-holder is a common place to mount it.

It's a pretty common sight here in this state (we have 76 Walmart supercenters but only two Apple stores.) :( I saw a GIGANTIC red truck last week with an enormous Confederate flag window sticker on the rear cab window...it covered the whole thing. Also had a set of bull horns mounted on the front right below the hood ornament. :rolleyes:

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Having lived in Texas my whole life, I have grown to despise the confederate flag.

10. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

In my state, it's required to have both a front and back license plate. And living in a fairly rural area, I see plenty of pickup drivers (who think they're tough s***) have their Confederate flag plate on the back. Then again, most of the cops out here are probably rednecks as well, and probably would have the same thing on their personal cars... so no one gets pulled over for it.

(sigh) That's the worst part about living here. These people and I don't get along (not to mention most of them are conservative, which I am not.)

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I have a lot of trouble taking people seriously who have the rear truck window confederate flag decal.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

we need to switch situations

im a conservative stuck in liberal country and im from the west lol

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I find it hilarious that the ones who proudly display the Confederate flag are the same ones who claim to be patriotic. Nothing says "I love America!" more than flying the de facto symbol of secession :rolleyes:

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

No, it isn't.

State flag of Alabama.
    [​IMG]

Original Confederate flag:
    [​IMG]

What you're thinking of is the battle flag, upon which later revisions of the Condeferate flag were based:
    [​IMG]

Back to topic, there's a big difference between being proud of one's history and throwing it up on anything possible you can wear for the sake of being hickish, the latter into which I think the majority falls. For the record, I do not nor would I ever own something so decorated.

Just to turn the glass, you could make an equivalent argument about such things found here.

15. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I'm in CA so I rarely see a Confederate Flag sticker on anything except an out-of-state truck.

Strangely, the vehicles are usually accessorized with those naked lady mud flaps and Truck Balls (google it).

16. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

17. eldy macrumors 6502

18. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Its a thread discussing opinions about the confederate flag, what did you expect? People are bound to have opinions.

Personally I hate the flag, however have "gotten over myself" :p and come to terms that its pretty symbolic for those who choose to display it. I figure the symbolism is wide and varied from identifying as a "redneck" to a more politically charged belief.

However, I would appreciate seeing more American flags and less confederate flags. Even if the political tide is turning due to a different political philosophy (Obama), we still are a nation. I hate to see people disowning/distancing themselves from their country just because DC isn't being run their way... (that goes for both red & blue and everything in between)

and I almost made a neutral post :rolleyes: o well...

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually the Nazi swastika is the other way around from the one used by several eastern religions.

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Context is everything. I like Civil War movies or documentaries, but it's quite another thing to be waving the flag at a civil rights rally. But if you are Billy Idol and you need a flag to make a statement, well then guess what? What about the university Ole Miss? I think the meaning of that flag is as individual as the person who waves it. It's not the same thing as a Nazi flag.

In Asia, the Japanese naval flag is just as controversial since some consider it a symbol of Japan solely in World War II. It was kind of weird to see another brit, the singer of Def Leppard to be wearing a rising sun t-shirt. I just hope he knew not to wear it on tour in Asia. ;)

Attached Files:

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The state flag of alabama is the same as a broken image in microsoft office.

22. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Quote of the year. :)

23. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

:eek: Oh dear.

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think displaying the flag is an insult to all Americans.

It's time to put it away and realize ya'll lost. Waving it around doesn't make you a rebel or more attractive to the opposite sex.

25. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

It's not so different from tattooing a swastika to one's forehead, IMHO.

What 'statement' is Billy Idol making? Similar to the 'statement' Prince Harry made a few years back, no?