What's your take on this?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thehustleman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. thehustleman, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

thehustleman macrumors 65816

I recently started a new job, I won't mention the name of the employer due to their social media policy where I can't say ANYTHING that puts them in a negative light.

With that being said, I placed this topic in PRSI because it DOES involve some discrimination. Not against homosexuals, but against heterosexuals.

yes, you read it right.

I knew it would get political so I put it here.

Until a 2 weeks ago, we had a personnel manager that was doing some foul things and deliberately going against policy for some, but not others. This manager was in fact a homosexual. That SHOULDN'T matter, but apparently it did to her.

Check the examples

Example #1 - there's a NO POLITICAL OR RELIGIOUS ITEM policy pertaining to our work attire. The company doesn't want to turn off a customer due to a political belief so the policy is there. It gets sketchy because one employee wore a "Same Sex Marriage NOW! VOTE!" button and no one batted an eye.

Another employee wears a "Marriage = man+woman!" button and gets written up, told to take off the button and never wear it back at work due to it being political attire sand violating the policy. They reinforced on his paperwork (he showed everyone) where it says "NO POLITICAL ITEMS ALLOWED ON ATTIRE"

yet the gay guy continued to wear his button for his political cause and says no one ever spoke to him about it.

--------
    Example #2. Our music policy is no profanity, no sexually explicit lyrics, and no offensive music. Also it must be played either in the back where customers cannot hear OR after ALL customers are out of the store.

After the store was closed, while everyone is conditioning the shelves, A group of gay employees played a song called "what what in the butt" (if you watch south park, you know the song - butters sang it lol). Very offensive and it was in fact reported, but the people reporting it were told that "we have to be tolerant of others and the way they live their lives. We have to accept those that are different from us, and believe different things, period!" and no disciplinary action was taken.

The next day, we were all in the back room listening to music while we unloaded a couple trucks. A Jamaican employee had a dancehall mix CD playing and we were all jammin' to it. It was a hot mix. Then the song "boom bye bye" by dancehall Legend Buju Banton came on. some knew the words to it, others were hypnotized by the riddim. It's a great riddim but the guy playing it was called into the office and FIRED just before he went to lunch and 4 other associates were written up for LISTENING TO IT! We found out that a gay person came to the back, heard the song, and ran to tell personnel so now one guy lost his job and others are written up and in danger of losing theirs because of a song someone else put on. Luckily I didn't get written up. They told them it violated the music policy.

-------
    Example 3: the name tag policy CLEARLY states that your LEGAL FIRST NAME must be the name on the front of your name tag, no exceptions EXCEPT for length and it accepts up to 14 characters.

There's a transexual (and he is FAR FROM PASSABLE) named Larry (that's what it says on the BACK of his name tag and his license fell once and you can see Larry is STILL his legal name) but he has "Laquasha" on his name tag. Ok, so the other new hire felt like "ok cool, they don't enforce that policy!"

Well as she was hired with me, her name is Edonna, but she just wanted "Donna" on the name tag, they REFUSED. Said it's against company policy. It has t o be her REAL first name.

-----

Now we have a NEW manager who's also homosexual, but it doesn't matter, they just want to do right by everyone gay or straight. As it should be.

I'm going to tell WHAT HAPPENED when the new manager got there, but I just want some input on how you think it should be handled.

When I get a few replies, I'll go ahead and break down what actually DID happen.

This should be interesting...

Oh and PLEASE let's not bash either straights or gays, people have enough crap to deal with in real life and no need to add more.

***update***
    Well as I promised, I'd break down what happened. Due to a (very quick) investigation from corporate office started from the guy who played boom bye bye, we have a new manager, and the new manager while she's also a lesbian, held a meeting before the store opened and said that she's aware of the reports and unequal application of policy. She said she'd be dealing with things and not to feel uncomfortable coming to her about an injustice.

1. On the issue of the buttons, it got out that she'd removed the write-up from the record of the person that had the marriage = man +woman button on and he said that she told him "Don't wear anything political. IF I catch you with this on again, I won't write you up, I'll terminate you. You've had your warning, keep politics out of the workplace!" and she'd told the guy with the ssm button not to wear it anymore and showed him the policy. She didn't write him up he says, she just informed him.

2. The guy who played the anti-gay dancehall classic got his job back, BUT he was written up - as this was his first time getting in trouble AND he was relocated. He came by, spoke to us, told us what happened, said he was written up for it (as he should be - screen your CD's before you play them!!!!) and not only that, he's being paid for the time he was off. The guys who were wrote up just for listening have had it removed from their record (as they should) since they can't control what another employee plays. I'm just glad I wasn't in the back during most of the song, me being temp, I'd more than likely have been FIRED had I been back there...

The gay guy that played the other song (who openly admit it btw) for the others, he was told that if she ever hears about him playing that song or anything sexually explicit at work again, he'll be in the unemployment office.

3. Laquasha's name tag has been changed to Larry as per policy and (of course he's loudly protesting it so everyone knows he's angry) he was told that "once you've gotten your LEGAL name changed, I'll be more than happy to change it on your name tag" I guess he feels that then policy shouldn't apply to him, but if you're serious and you really want to become as woman-like as possible, you're already dressing and acting like a woman, why not get your name changed? Edonna's still remained.

2. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Your workplace has a lot of drama and unique characters. Are you sure you're not in a TV sitcom or "reality" show?

In all seriousness, your workplace sounds ridiculous with all these dumb*sses you call coworkers. I'd leave in second.

3. thehustleman thread starter macrumors 65816

Already working on it.

It's just a temporary thing since a co-worker did some immoral crap that totally costed me a good paying job at my last job.

I was out of work for a little while and took what I could get so I didn't have to spend my savings.

BTW I TOTALLY agree with you....

4. dec. Suspended

dec.

Depending on the state that you live in, you might want to tell your co-worker that his "marriage = man + woman" button is outdated.. other than that, while it's extremely predictable, it'll be amusing to see what your real point will be, if you have one.

5. thehustleman thread starter macrumors 65816

not really a POINT, more so kinda picking peoples' brains to see how their brains work.

I posted what happened on another forum on FB and got some interesting replies as to "what should happen" and when the issues were addressed, I posted what actually happened, some were upset, some were relieved, some had mixed feelings.

and the state is Georgia, Marriage is still man and woman here.

6. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Yikes! You have bad luck. Can I ask what this immoral thing was?

As for the actual thread topic, I agree that it's unfair that a gay man can showcase his political stance while a straight man can't. It's a double standard. Having said that, it's a double standard in the right direction.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

wow, hope you didn't hurt yourself with the contortions you had to go through to come up with that conclusion.:rolleyes:

8. dec. Suspended

dec.

g(r)ays anatomy?

Sounds like.. mixed feelings. :confused:

I'm not surprised, although I'd suggest that you better be prepared (and no, watching The Walking Dead won't do).

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Sorry to hear that man:(. I hope you find something better. That place sounds like a toxic environment.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think overall, given all three examples, the workplace seems completely insane.

11. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

12. Andeavor macrumors 6502

While the "Marriage" buttons are debatable (it's about equal rights), the song "Boom Boom Bye" is undoubtedly discriminatory (go look it up and even you'll agree). It's just like proclaiming to want a Jew or a black man dead, and we all know you wouldn't want that public. So I wouldn't question the firing of the employee. Maybe a warning could have softened the blow and set him right but I understand that someone wouldn't want to have someone work for them who finds it's OK to listen or sing these kinds of songs at their workplace, hence they get rid of them.

I understand your frustration about this double standard, however, you are completely missing the nuances wherein the difference between both lie. Advocating equality is not discriminating another person's rights. Singing a song about consensual sex is not calling for the death of another.

In other words, you cannot cry discrimination when one action gets a pass over the other, not when the latter actually hurts the feelings of other people.

13. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I think you are missing the point. The reason for not having political stuff in a work place is to not endorse a side. The minute you say one side is political and the other is right you have explicitly picked a side.

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

15. thehustleman thread starter macrumors 65816

The immoral thing was he was upgrading a customers phone (we sold phones in a kiosk for Verizon wireless) and before the actual upgrade, he claimed to inspect the phone for trade-in purposes to get her to unlock it then he went through it, finding all types of nude photos, he then sent them to his own phone. She changed her mind about the trade-in and hot het phone back. After she left, he showed me his findings. I told him he could be locked up for that and that another Verizon reseller had 2 employees arrested for it the down in Florida. I waited until he left work for the day (30 minutes) and reported it to the acting manager. He turned on me and acted like I did it, told everyone that, even said I faked my screen shots, so I went a little further and showed VIDEO of the screen shots on my phone. I Waited to avoid a confrontation that may turn physical and end up with someone dying (him namely) and in my separation notice, they fired me for not reporting it immediately since they couldn't fire me for doing the act. Meanwhile if this huge guy attacked me, and I killed him, they'd fire me for that.

having said that, there's NO SUCK THING as discrimination in the right direction.

Discrimination at all is wrong period especially in the workplace.

totally! I've worked at this employer before and it was never this bad.

I see what you're saying but political items are still political items regardless of which side they take and to allow one side to express their views but not another is discrimination when the rule clearly states NEITHER of them are allowed.

And no, a song about killing people for their life choices IS NOT the same as a highly inappropriate song the point is homosexuality are being allowed to break policy but no one else is. How is this right?

Policy is to be followed.

Also why write up people that didn't even play the song? They didn't make that choice.

EXACTLY!

One person may disagree with same sex marriage and another agrees with it.

The policy says NEITHER OF THEM can wear anything political, yet they both do, expressing their feelings, yet only one gets reprimanded for violating the policy?

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yup.

And policies are only as good as the people who implement them.

In this case, don't blame the policy, blame the people for unfairly carrying them out.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Example 2 and 3 are ridiculous.

In example #1 I find it ridiculous that someone has to wear a pin to try to gain a basic human right, and someone else would take it upon themselves to actively wear a pin to deny that right.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Gay marriage is not a political cause, it's a civil right. The "Marriage = Man + Woman" button is the modern day equivalent of a "Marriage = Two Whites" in the 1950s and 60s when interracial marriage was still illegal in some states.

Wow, I just read the lyrics for Boom Boom Bye and would've fired anyone for listening to that too. If I had to guess, that song is on Fred Phelps's iPod.

The case of someone with gender identity disorder who is in the process of transitioning is a lot different than someone who just wants to be called by a nickname.

19. thehustleman thread starter macrumors 65816

Used to. I left them for home depot, didn't like them and went to sell for Verizon.

Verizon pays very well for a good phone salesman and I brought in some beautiful paychecks

20. ElectronGuru, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Dude, your problem has little to do with state or national norms or laws. You are dealing with office politics. The norms and laws mearly dictate the form of the office politics. A few pointers:

Not enforcing rules against others never means they can't or won't enforce rules against you. The best predictor if how it will go down is how much they like you vs them.

There are two kinds of attention, good and bad. Bad never helps you and often hurts you.

Best to go in all the way or not at all. You can't kind of get involved. All the way includes but is not limited to lawyers, media, and termination.

Once you get involved in anything, your job is at risk. Consider how important it is to you, before opening your mouth.

Let go of right or wrong, you don't have enough power to enforce squat.

If you want to make changes, you can 1) get better at office politics or 2) get a degree so you can be the boss and enforce the rules correctly. These are not your problems to fix.

Your skills are wicked valuable, see if you can get in where you can sell things that are worth more. Economic power will give you social power.

21. unlinked macrumors 6502a

If supporting gay marriage isn't political then neither is opposing it.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Perhaps not, but opposing it is bigoted and offensive and that sort of crap shouldn't be allowed in workplaces either.

23. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Arguably although I tend to think neither should be. My only point is that the rules enforced should be the rules as written. If a workplace allows pro ssm pins and not anti ssm pins then the rules should clearly state that.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

OP. Thanks for the thread. Some times I think I'm the only one who works in a crazy place, HR-wise. It makes me feel better to know its like that in other places, too. I'd tell you some of my stories but I don't feel like getting all worked up now. Let's just say that even though we are all supposed to follow the same rules, of course they are different for people on my level and those in management.

25. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

The reason I asked is Cinci is a phone call away and they tend not to appreciate poor management. What you have is poor management