Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
It is a program that allowes you to read magazines. I have a digital subscription to Macworld and I read it via zinio.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I believe if you register your Mac online, you can get the free Macworld subscription in Zinio. You may also be able to get it in paper. Somewhere or other, I also got a free Businessweek subscription somehow. Every once in a while those e-mail lists like techbargains.com list a free subscription from somewhere or other. Mostly tech and business magazines, but apparently other things are also available.

The quality is actually pretty good, although the software is a little slow.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Originally posted by abhishekit
zinio is pretty cool...with the flipping of the pages and stuff...but i had to download it..how come it came with ur mac..:rolleyes:

'Cuz everybody likes me. :D

If it makes you feel better, though, I originally tried to get it in December on my PC, when I got the free BW subscription, and the PC version crashed continuously on me -- it never actually got as far as opening the magazine. :(

On my iBook it works like a charm...I wonder if it will take off as a format? It sounds like Apple has only recently started putting it on PCs, and I hadn't even heard of it until about two months ago.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Originally posted by onealc
What would be the difference in this format, and something like pdf?
well..the main differnce its just visual i guess..with zinio..its exactly as you are reading a book online..

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Originally posted by onealc
What would be the difference in this format, and something like pdf?

It seems to handle high-res better than PDF -- when you zoom in things still look clear -- although PDF is certainly capable of that too. It also has some minor features built for magazines, like automatically checking for new issues and downloading them, and knowing where the TOC is.

But I think the big thing is that it has some kind of digital security built-in that's built for distributing magazines. But I haven't tried giving someone my magazines to see if they could view them.

Other than that, nothing much, though.

But this company seems to be making a big push. On their website, they seemed to have a fairly broad range of commercial pop-interest magazines in their format....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.