What's Zwhaler doing next semester??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zwhaler, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hey fellow MacRumorians, since I am on the brink of temporary leave, I just wanted to post up my plans and situation. Apparently, several years ago my parents decided to take me out of school for a spring semester (I am in high school) and send me traveling around the world with my mom whilst being home schooled so I won't fall behind. I just found out recently that that time is...this Saturday!

I am going to finish up my finals this week and on Saturday morning I'm off to Japan for 3 weeks. When I come back, I'll be here for about 2 weeks. Then I'm going to an Spanish Language Intensive school south of Mexico City for around 2 months. Hopefully by then I will be close to fluent. (I'll be in a Spanish speaking country surrounded by Spanish and in a Spanish Language school for 8 hours a day!) So I have that to look forward to. Once I return, I will stay for about 3 weeks taking STAR tests and the like, and then the final trip will be to Europe to visit my relatives.

Most of my friends think I'm crazy when I say I'm essentially leaving school to go traveling, but I honestly am excited for it, as it is to me is a rare opportunity to not only (hopefully) learn Spanish, but see the world for decent periods of time... rather than the 5-day quickie Spring Break visit.
    I am a little saddened to miss anything that may go on here while I am gone, but hopefully when I look back I'll realize that it was well worth it.

So, hopefully I will be able to occasionally browse the forums while out of the country, and maybe I can even send in some pictures. Is this just a little bit crazy or is it just me? :)

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't be sad. Your friends are jealous of you, and for good reason. It shouldn't be the other way around.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think its an amazing opportunity! Have a great time and enjoy!

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yeah, great opportunity. You'll learn more while out seeing the world than they will sitting in their stuffy public-school classrooms. I wish more kids' parents would do what yours are doing (mine definitely dropped the ball on that one! :))

5. echozoom macrumors newbie

I know my Mom talked about doing the Spanish immersion thing with us but we never actually did it. It sounds like a great trip for you and I'm sure you will learn a lot of real cultural stuff that you can't get from a classroom anyway!

6. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah, I am definitely looking forward to learning Spanish (the system at my school isn't that great). The original plan was for me to go to South America for 5 months and do total spanish immersion, but my Mom argued against that so now we're not quite getting as much Spanish, but it should be fun either way.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

this sounds awesome. I wish my parents did that and got out of my HS. Where in europe are you going? I think your friends are extremely jealous. While their in spanish class attempting to learn how to order at a mexican restaurant you'll be in a spanish country speaking with locals. I hope you have a great time! Be sure to keep us updated!

8. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hey guy it's 8:30 in the morning Monday over here in Kyoto... so far we're just settling in and coming up with our local travel plans. I like it over here from what I've seen. I'll try to post some pictures once I take some :p

9. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Your semester sounds really cool. What city in Mexico are you immersing yourself for spanish classes? When you're back, you can try your fluency on spanish speaking forum members (like me:p).

Anyways, Good luck.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

That sounds awesome. What great and forward-thinking parents you have.