Wheaton College Moves To Fire Professor For Saying Muslims And Christians 'Worship The Same God'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jan 7, 2016.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I guess the ugly truth does not set you free it gets you fired. Sad when you find out your horrible neighbor is actually sharing the same genes with you kind of situation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wheaton-college-christianity-islam_568cffdfe4b0a2b6fb6de759
    upload_2016-1-7_7-19-0.gif

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Well, it is a private Christian college. His point is totally valid IMO but as a private institution they should have the right to do what they like.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes he can do it but firing someone for telling the actual truth it is not like it is a ugly secret though most christians don't know it I bet. lets hope the college suffers at least a little bit.

4. nbs2, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

On one hand, the professor is right. Almost anybody claiming to worship deity, especially monotheists, is essentially worshipping the same deity. It is only the manner of worship and attributes of deity that change. As always, I'm sure there are exceptions. But the split between Judeo-Christian and Muslim comes down to which son of Abraham you think was the anointed of God.

As for her wearing the hijab, I've got some issues with the whole "I wear what you wear in solidarity" thing. Any symbolism (religious or cultural) I wear, I wear because it has a deeper meaning. You want to wear it because you embrace that meaning or the values behind it? Be my guest and I will talk your ear off discussing it. You wear it to make a political or social statement? Make like a tree and get out of here, I am comfortable in myself - I don't want or need your validation.

Edit - grammar

5. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

What does "telling the actual truth" have to do with anything? There is no "truth" when it comes to god claims. The transcendent bears a striking resemblance to the non-existent.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't agree with this, pretty much every Christian I know believes and accepts that God/Yahweh/Allah are all different names for the same god.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Interesting that is was for a FB post and not over something she said in class. But would this be an example of political correctness on the right? I think so.

I'm still pretty amazed by the reaction to her statement. If it's not the same god, then that implies two possibilities ...

1. Muslims worship a different god. But if that's the case, then you don't believe in monotheism. As I understand it, monotheism doesn't just imply that you believe in one god, it implies that only one god exists, and that all versions of god simply are different interpretations of the one god. So how could the god of Islam not be the god of Christianity?

2. Muslims worship a false god, which comes with a mountain of issues that I would love to see the school rationalize away.

If there are other possibilities that I'm overlooking, I'd love to hear them.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This Christian began wearing a hijab to work. I find this egregious cultural appropriation particularly galling.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yeah. Head scarves are the worst. :rolleyes:

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If I went to work wearing a Native American headdress, probably that would be worse.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well it does get cold in Chicago...

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Try it, and report back.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Nah, don't tell him that; he might have to pay a fine for misuse of eagle feathers or some such.

On topic: Wheaton is nuts to make this gig a firing offense.

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

But all this is another example of where Thomas Jefferson, removed from Texas history books, was right: Separation of church and state. That's probably why churches enjoy tax-exempt status, but the moment they play politics or want to be free of such separation then the tax exemption should also be revoked...

Within the laws of the land in which it resides, a private institution probably shouldn't have the right to be above the law? That's what a lawyer would probably point out. Am not saying a law was broken, though...

But, yeah, the church is free to put in who it wants and discriminate. But in a free country, how can one be free without curtailing others' freedom (e.g. discrimination, ignoring basic truths, et cetera)

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If they do fire her, I can almost guarantee a wrongful termination lawsuit will follow.

That's the risk Wheaton decided to take with their actions.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

3. Everyone else worships a false god. Whatever floats their boat, I say.

Jews, Christians, Muslims...we all worship the same God, the God of Abraham. With Christians we decided to follow God 2.0--the kinder, gentler version named Jeezus. Jesus the Son of God, who also happens to be God. So he is his own father?:confused: Yeah, I still haven't figured that one out.:p But hail, I ain't a boat rocker. Men much smarter than me (St Augustine for one) have tried and failed so I ain't gonna sweat it.

17. Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. No-one worships the same deity. Every believer worships their own god which is a projection of your own personality. There are as many gods as there are believers - all slightly different from each other.

Hence why there are so many different religions and denominations and arguments within those denominations about scripture. If there is a god, he has extremely poor communication skills. It's almost as if he's not there at all...

18. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Ha, ha. I grew up in this town. It is a suburban Right-wing strip-mall hell hole. I am glad it's finally getting the attention it deserves.

The town will do nothing about this. I imagine the sea of White faces who live there support the decision.

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

Knee-jerk firing for but a sentence or two is usually the province of the Left, so this does stand as an outlier.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Agreed, churches should have their tax exempt status revoked as they have jumped into the politics game. The onus is on the College for the sake of their theological competence to show evidence that the Chritian God is different. Heaven forbid someone say something in support of Muslims. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Directed at post #19.

21. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Is Christian Bale's Batman the same as the upcoming Ben Affleck version?

22. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

the IRS needs to grow a set. they have not taken a church to task for years. this is how they can buy jets and mega churches and all kind of stuff on the gullible parishioners. I remember last election preachers bragging about it and calling the IRS to do anything to them. nope nothing happened.

23. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

24. steve knight, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016

steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

if you don't think they don't you have missed history. they just do it in different ways. Hell how would anyone really prove what god they worship? it is not like god has an identity. in reality no one prays to the same god everyone has their own version of god there are as many gods as there are people that believe in god.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You do know Jesus is in the Quran, right?