Wheel of Fortune Puzzle Solved after 1 Letter

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Nov 9, 2010.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

fox news

Video in the link

I believe it. Sometimes things just come to you. Although I might have spun a few more times to get some cash. :D

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Damn!! That is crazy.

Good for her, though. The best was Pat Sajack's reaction, as well as the contestant standing next to her. She just acted like she she's been there, done that.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This girl might be an idiot savant, minus the developmental disorders, insofar as being able to extrapolate the spaces given into words.

Beyond me anyway. :eek:

EDIT: Just watched the link, and now I feel that it's spooky, in the mind-reading sense.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm gonna pull up a chair and a bucket of popcorn...

...and wait for all those to chime in how "because it's on Fox News, it didn't really happen."

:D

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

rofl.

6. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

BECAUSE IT WAS ON FOX NEWS, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!!!111 :mad:

:p

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is pretty cool. I saw this the other night on the news. The look on Pat's face is priceless as he is walking over to her. Good for her!!!

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I remember as a little kid I'd watch my Dad work out those "Cryptoquotes" puzzles (substitution cyphers) in the newspaper and I didn't understand how he could figure out that such-and-such letter in the puzzle actually represented some other letter. Then he started explaining how to look for patterns like the ones this contestant's describing (e.g. assuming common two or three-letter words, etc.) and it was like magic.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Look at the reaction of the contestant on her right. He looks like he thinks he's being punked.

10. notjustjay, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I remember I used to watch the show and the puzzle would be so darned obvious to me (and probably everyone else watching) but the silly folks on TV never seemed to know what it was.

Like the clue would be "Movies" and the puzzle would be "L_RD _F THE RI_GS" and they'd guess silly letters ("is there an A?")

But if you know the answer to the puzzle, the strategy isn't to blurt it out right away, it's to keep spinning and guessing letters, racking up cash as you do so (as long as you don't hit Bankrupt or Lose A Turn, of course).

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yeah. I noticed that before she committed to giving the solution she was asking Pat to confirm that it was a prize puzzle. She must not have wanted to risk losing the trip by taking any additional spins (even though she probably forfeited some extra cash).

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, that's possible, but still, the odds are very good that she could have won a fair bit more. Even if she just spun once more and guessed the "g", she would have won three times whatever the spin amount was. At minimum that's another $900 (doubling her current cash winnings) and if she got really lucky and hit the $5000 that would have been another $15K.

(Sometimes, when you watch someone spinning/guessing, you can quickly tell that they know exactly what the answer is, and that they're just spinning up their winnings before they finally solve it.)

Oh well... perhaps the look on Pat's face was worth $900 to her :D

13. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I guess I'm just not as amazed by this as most of you. Sometimes you see the category and look at the board, and a good guess comes to you. Apostrophes are always helpful. It happens more often than you probably think, it's just that most people would keep spinning at least a few times to up their cash.

Still an awesome win for her though.

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If she spun again there was a small chance of losing. She knew the answer and took the sure win. Smart move IMO.
    Betting on folks taking risks and being greedy builds very bug hotels in Las Vegas.

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Canadian expression?

16. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Hah, I'd usually agree, but I was watching it as it happened. :p

17. Abstract, Nov 10, 2010

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's like that South Park episode, where I think it was Kyle's father was on Wheel of Fortune, and got this:

N _ G G E R S

And the hint? "They're really annoying."

The answer turned out to be "NAGGERS", but that's not what Kyle's father blurted out. :p

EDIT: Found the video. (NSFW, Rated R, etc) ;)

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

According to the interview she had the answer before she spun and got the "L", so really, she solved with NO letters

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Does that matter? Either you think Fox News is full of ****, or you don't. I think you secretly don't believe it yourself.

That doesn't make sense - she should have picked a different letter, like G or T, to get even more money, if she knew it before picking a letter.

21. Reventon macrumors 6502

I remember watching that episode on Friday, she went onto win the game and the bonus prize (I forget how much she won). It was quite impressive to watch, though luck and logic played a major part in that solve. If I were her though, I'd have spun the wheel a few more times to get more money.

22. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Under the old rules I would have agreed with you, but nowadays it seems the entire game is decided by who gets the bonus prize. It is actually a lot less fun to watch IMO.

23. Eclipse278, Nov 10, 2010

Eclipse278 macrumors regular

No, you pick "L" just in case the first word turns out to be "I'll" so you dont make a fool of yourself

24. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

surprised nobody said this yet... but...

CAITLIN IS HOT!

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Doesn't matter - if you know the answer, then you know the first word isn't "I'll."