When all else fails, intimidate.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/26251.html

So when you can't do it honestly, you abuse your position an attempt to silence critics by intimidation. Who here doesn't believe that certain juicy numbers will "leak" out, totally taken out of context of course, from this? I would love to see people fight back by listing the costs of all the junkets we paying for over the Congressional holiday (where they take official trips overseas with their families at our expense)

So companies who are not breaking laws, not receiving government assistance, and their employees who are private citizens, are having their information demanded by Congress so it can find something to quiet these people down with.

Whats next? Maybe they should summon the records of any new organization reporting unfavorable news. After all that would be an unAmerican activity.

Democrats or Republicans, both are disgusting, both need to go, but this latest bunch it probably the worst we ever had.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course, you fail to mention that these are health insurance companies. I'd love to know this information. If they can deny people's claims, they should be required to tell us where that money is going and why. I'd love to know how much they think people's lives are or aren't worth. If our lives are these people's hands, we deserve to know what they're doing with our money.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I would request records of all wasteful spending they have produced since January 2007, lets see who comes out on top.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If a company is offering a service and refusing to provide said service in some cases, then they should be investigated. No other company could get away with that without being prosecuted. The government is doing it's job.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Same could be said of congress.

They aren't even attacking their denial of service, they are simply investigating profits and extravagant spending. That doesn't make any sense (especially when congress has dodged quite a few bullets themselves). If they are going to investigate wrong-doings then charge them with a crime and do it.

There is no reason a private company should have to open their books for congress on a whim.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's not a whim. And congress has every right to investigate. They don't have to bring them up on charges in order to do so. And thanks for the insult in other thread. That was really telling.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Show me where congress has every right to investigate any private company they wish/open their books without charging them with wrong-doing? I will second guess owning a business in this country.

It was a joke, I just saw the damn commercial on tv for arthritis.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.metrocorpcounsel.com/current.php?artType=view&artMonth=July&artYear=2009&EntryNo=6091

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have never seen anything in the constitution that would allow this. Perhaps another abuse of the commerce clause? Thats the only thing I can think of. Even if these companies are spending lavishly what does it matter? They are private corps, as long as they aren't propped up by the government they can spend all their money on chocolate fountains for all I give a care.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Regardless, the Court has ruled it's OK. They do have this power. And no one is being punished here. It's gathering of information, it's not a prosecution. How can Congress make laws if they aren't informed?

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A major problem with and for health insurance companies comes from the state government level. Many states won't allow multi-state companies to do business. So, much less competition. That affects prices, of course, and it allows arrogant behavior.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Huh. How about that. Dems are playing hardball with the health insurance industry. And I thought the job of Democrats was to just sit their and take the pummeling of the lies and screaming that masquerade for cogent thought on the anti-health reform side.

Imagine!

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This happens in the UK fairly regularly. The supermarkets recently got investigated for price fixing and I'm sure they had to give up lots of information to the government.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Agreed.

Agreed.

The difference is that the members of Congress do their jobs more or less transparently as individuals; their votes, etc. are public record. And the people have the power to put them in or remove them from office.

If the people were afforded these luxuries of private businesses - insurance companies or otherwise - then I could understand saying it's wrong for Congress to investigate.

I have to agree with Lee on this one; if something smells a little bit like fraud, it should be looked into.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

BTW, I wouldn't go around accusing Democrats of intimidation...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just looked out my window and saw a pig with wings. :)

That's for damn sure. And I still don't get the gun paranoia thing. Obama hasn't done one thing about banning guns or anything of the sort. WTF?

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama supports local gun bans, theres no question about that, he said it himself when questioned about DC

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

DC's gun ban was declared unconstitutional though, as it should have been.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yet Obama supported it. Not that this surprises me.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And theres nothing about guns on the table right now? Why do these people insist on muddying the waters even further? /rhetorical question.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It doesn't matter. What has he done about guns as President?

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I tend to base peoples intentions on their past actions. Just because he hasn't done anything doesn't mean he won't. Obviously the economy is more than enough to keep him busy right now, if we were in a better situation who knows.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's a pretty presumptuous speculation. I'm pro-gun ownership and I'm not worried, TBH.

24. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

On the other side, I'm anti-gun ownership and I am worried. :p

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! Well, the wackos have been out in full force, have they not? Like I already said, they better be careful. If one incident occurs, they're going to be toast. It'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy.