When all else fails, make $#!+ up (like Obama raising gas prices)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Cheer up! :) You know the economy must be improving. You know it because the Republicans have given up on that issue and are just starting to make **** up.

All this is on top of Newt's pandering that he'll be the $2.50 gas president. :rolleyes:

I hope David Axelrod & Co. are keeping track of this, because I'd love to hear Obama ask Willard, "Hey, Mitt, when did I ever say this?" in a debate this fall. :D I'd love to watch Willard squirm as Obama calls him out on it, on stage.

2. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This rhetoric is so stupid. The price of gas has been steadily rising since 2000.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

America is going to have to get used to high gas prices. I do not believe there is much tax insulation the government can even cut compared to other countries.

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I was at a newt rally a month ago and all I heard was a bunch of made up b*lls**t coming from the guys mouth. I heard lots from newt about Obama's conspiracy to raise the price of gasoline. I really want Obama and the news to call out these guys and their lies. Of course the problem is that the people who believe it will always believe their nutcase ideas and conspiracies.

I went not as a supporter (which I am not) but because he was there in person, it was free (most important) and I got to take a few pics of my first big ticket politician i have ever seen in person. Granted I was in the bleachers looking down on the guy but had a good view of the stage. Oh, and it was a small theatre.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I guarantee that if the GOP held the White House, you'd not hear a peep about higher gas prices.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

That's all I heard when Bush was president, that he was the cause of rising gas prices. I am a little confused by that statement.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Kind of related.

I prefer to look at it in pictures.

As the Heritage Foundation reports it:

[​IMG]

Reality:

[​IMG]

Presidents can't do jack **** to lower oil prices other than releasing from the reserves, which I don't think he should.

8. rebby macrumors 6502

That's phenomenal! Thanks for posting this.

Obama could do quite a few things to drop (or at least stabilize) gas prices and he flat out refuses to do so. Here are 2 glaring examples just off the top of my head... I'm sure that there are TONS more.

- eliminate or relax restrictions on off-shore drilling (that he imposed)
    - pipeline (oh yeah, he killed this too)

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

So I don't get in trouble for leaning on the "left wing media"

Here's Fox telling you how that won't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzEnKdBAb_o

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Of all the issues that the U.S. faces, if the price of gas is the issue the Republicans want to focus on, then you know they don't really have anything.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It all comes down to supply and demand, and demand is high and supply isn't rising as fast.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And I'll add this.

Link

13. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

here is one just call the man why are you stubborn Obama?!

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

You're quite right, and the reality is that we're at the peak of worldwide oil production. Drilling small re-serves isn't going to change that, and by the time they come online other sources will be drying up.

The only way to really lower gas prices at this point is to lower usage.

Maybe the government should invest in public transportation, oh wait that would be government interfering where it doesn't belong :rolleyes:.

15. rebby macrumors 6502

No, that was Fox saying that a President can't artificially lower gas prices. Which I don't necessarily disagree with. However, a President, or more accurately, an administration, can do a lot to increase prices by choking off supply. Obama is an export at choking off supply and destroying private industry.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think this all stems from what energy secretary said in 2008 about getting price levels up to europe's prices to encourage americans to buy more fuel efficient cars and or electric cars. Which he flip-flopped on...

link

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Have something to back up your talking points?

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The Republicans are PATHETIC.

They know if they legitimately debated the issues that the would have NO CHANCE at this election because they have done nothing but screw **** up for the past 30 years.

So what do they do? Just tell people straight up lies and misinformation and hope people don't realize.

Gas prices are controlled by two things:
    1. OPEC
    2. the "Big Oil" companies, the majority which are run by republican businessmen

Obama doesn't have control over either of these.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually the president can ask the Saudis to increase oil production which has been done in the past.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yeah, he can ask Exxon to lower prices and cut their profit margin in half too. My point doesn't change. The President does not have direct control over gas prices. He can ask all he wants, but that's all he can do, and the Saudi's don't have to listen.

Obama is NOT the issue when it comes to gas prices. Corporate greed is.

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

More 1, less 2. Getting OPEC to agree and stick to targets has never been easy. They need the cash flow.

22. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Great post!

Wrong.

They'd be saying, "We can't do anything about it. Just be thankful for the free market." :D

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Who invaded Iraq again...?

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Exactly, what countries has Obama invaded to secure our oil supply? How can Obama even say he wants low gas prices when he hasnt even started his own wars yet.

25. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The only short-term reduction that governments can do is to reduce the tax on gasoline. But obviously road funds will be reduced and that, in turn, creates more problems.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/06/gasoline-taxes-by-state/

Attached Files: