When and where to queue in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by ohenriquez, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ohenriquez macrumors member

ohenriquez

Dear all

I would like to buy the iPhone on the same day or next day of its release. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to ask for a day off and I would like to buy it on a Saturday soon after its release, but I wonder if that at that point they will be out of stock due to high demand, I wonder whether any of you have experiences with this
    I am considering to pre-order it but it may take a while for it to arrive as I think one friend had to wait for a while to get it delivered
    It would be good to know if any of you experienced long queues on a Saturday or whether buying it on a Saturday or sunday it is straightforward way to purchase the new iPhone, I was thinking of getting the new iPhone not in the most popular store like covent garden or regents. Maybe the Milton Keynes one would be less busy
    Any helpful comment would be appreciated and perhaps you can comment on this based in previous experiences

2. randomdude macrumors regular

If you're going to get it from an Apple Store, you most likely will have to queue for hours at the very least, unless it's a small store in a small town. Then, I'm not sure. You could pre-order it as soon as pre-orders go live, to try and get it for the date. But I've found, if you go to a network store, rather than apple store, there's usually less people. But that's pay monthly only.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

op it all depends on what model you want, from personal experience (I've q'd on launch day for every iPhone except the original iPhone) the models that sell out the quickest are always the 16gb and the 32gb, 64gb models remain in stock generally till end of play saturday.

what your forgetting is there isn't two colour options this year, if rumours are correct the 5s will be available in four colours and the 5c will be available in 5 so with more variety you should be able to get your hands on one easier.

that all said apple could blow it all out of the water and release the gold 5s and the 5c in china only. lol

4. ohenriquez thread starter macrumors member

ohenriquez

Thanks

I find your responses very helpful, thanks a lot. I will consider ordering online as Apple store in Milton Keynes may be too busy

I dont want to buy a 64 GB one as I already have iPads, iPod classic, nano and I dont need plenty of storage in the phone

Hopefully the entry level-handset would be 32GB like the HTC one ha

5. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

for the last few releases of the Ipad and iPhone, I have queued up at the Apple store in Bath. Get there around 5am and only 4 or 5 people in front of me. Normally a couple of hundred in the queue by 7am.
    At 7am, coffee and cake is served by the apple employees...always a fun morning.

6. fatboyslick macrumors regular

Can you not just order it on the Apple website and get it delivered on launch day?

If not im heading to Arndale Manchester Store

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have in the past. Was quite nice sitting at home, drinking nice coffee and playing with the new phone whilst people were still queuing :p

8. fatboyslick macrumors regular

Cheers Dude

Ive done it with iPads before but not iPhones.
    Historically, ive queued at O2 before and once just walked into the Apple Store the next day and jumped the queue because i was getting it on a tariff rather than SIM free.

9. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

The risk with having it delivered is that if it arrives scuffed, chipped or damaged, it will take ages to return it and then have to wait for restocks before you will get another one. If I get one from the store, I can check it for damage before accepting it

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Ordered my iPhone 5 and got it on launch day. I think most people do. Just make sure to order it as soon as they are available to order.
    I queued for my 4 at the Birmingham Apple store. But you could reserve it so I wasn't really worried about not getting one.
    My mate through a sickie, and turned up the next day with his new iPhone. He isn't the brightest, and is no longer with the company.

11. josen macrumors member

Do what nobody else would do. Use the Apple app.

12. fatboyslick macrumors regular

Hi

I've experienced both buying from O2 on day 1 and day 2 and from Apple stores so it all depends on what you want.

1. Buying on contract
    Network retail stores get shipments each morning. I've both stood in queues on launch day and the next day. The launch day there will be a long queue which will form from around 5.30am.

Next day there won't be a queue but they'll only have 50 devices or so (based on Manchester City Centre). I got there at opening time and all was fine.

Alternatively, ive bought from the Apple Store on Day 2 and upgraded on contract there as well. There was a queue but the rule Apple had last year was that anyone buying with a contract can jump the queue and go straight in for a device. This is what I did. What's more, they didnt seem to care what contract I chose- in fact i took the ipad off them and navigated the O2 Sales Portal myself and chose a good one :)

2. Unlocked network free devices.
    Network shops wont sell these so you either have to buy from Apple online or queue up on launch day or the next day.

If you dont mind getting a locked or network then Apple stores will get the majority of devices in your town

13. OwenMeasures macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

Apple Store, Bluewater always put on a good show!