When Apple replaces MBP due to NVIDIA 8600GT failure, what happens?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ubele, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Ubele macrumors 6502a

I have a 2008 MBP with the NVIDIA 8600GT graphics card. After experiencing problems with my external monitor sometimes not coming on from sleep unless I powered my MBP off and on, my MBP suddenly stopped powering on altogether -- just a half second of the hard drive trying to spin up, and then it shuts down. It sounds like the 8600GT failure problem. I bought my MBP 3 years and 10 months ago, so I'm going to take it to Apple.

What happens if Apple does replace my logic board? Do they still include an 8600GT, or do they put in a different model? Does the clock start ticking again for 4 years -- or if the new one fails in 3 months, am I out of luck?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, they replace the logic board with the same kind, so in the end it will fail again.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

And no, the clock does not start ticking for 4 more years... Pretty much after this year at the latest you're done for.

4. iforbes macrumors 6502

Having said that...if you have one laptop for 8 years! ...that's pretty good...no?

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

If your persistent and make a good case - and work your way up the ladder - I think you might have a good chance to get a future repair. If you even need it :)

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Actually this is something I have been thinking about. Why not offer an extension of your contract when initial is coming to an end? Definitely would be more expensive and its a year by year contract. I'm not sure if any company does that, but its just an idea thats been floating around in my head. I usually need the warranty near the end date or barely after.

Just a thought.

7. Ubele thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, folks! Assuming Apple does fix my MBP for free, it would give me one more excuse to sell it and buy an iMac. It's spent most of its life attached to an external keyboard and monitor - even more so since I bought an iPad.

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Well, it's no lie that eventually the computer will be obsolete. After all, does anyone remember when Snow Leopard came out, rendering even 4ish year old G5's obsolete? I know this isn't really related, but do you think that computer will still be able to keep up with everything new 4 years from now? That's a long time, especially in computer years.