Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I have a 2008 MBP with the NVIDIA 8600GT graphics card. After experiencing problems with my external monitor sometimes not coming on from sleep unless I powered my MBP off and on, my MBP suddenly stopped powering on altogether -- just a half second of the hard drive trying to spin up, and then it shuts down. It sounds like the 8600GT failure problem. I bought my MBP 3 years and 10 months ago, so I'm going to take it to Apple.

What happens if Apple does replace my logic board? Do they still include an 8600GT, or do they put in a different model? Does the clock start ticking again for 4 years -- or if the new one fails in 3 months, am I out of luck?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What happens if Apple does replace my logic board? Do they still include an 8600GT, or do they put in a different model? Does the clock start ticking again for 4 years -- or if the new one fails in 3 months, am I out of luck?

Yup, they replace the logic board with the same kind, so in the end it will fail again.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
If your persistent and make a good case - and work your way up the ladder - I think you might have a good chance to get a future repair. If you even need it :)

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
And no, the clock does not start ticking for 4 more years... Pretty much after this year at the latest you're done for.

Actually this is something I have been thinking about. Why not offer an extension of your contract when initial is coming to an end? Definitely would be more expensive and its a year by year contract. I'm not sure if any company does that, but its just an idea thats been floating around in my head. I usually need the warranty near the end date or barely after.

Just a thought.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Thanks, folks! Assuming Apple does fix my MBP for free, it would give me one more excuse to sell it and buy an iMac. It's spent most of its life attached to an external keyboard and monitor - even more so since I bought an iPad.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Actually this is something I have been thinking about. Why not offer an extension of your contract when initial is coming to an end? Definitely would be more expensive and its a year by year contract. I'm not sure if any company does that, but its just an idea thats been floating around in my head. I usually need the warranty near the end date or barely after.

Just a thought.

Well, it's no lie that eventually the computer will be obsolete. After all, does anyone remember when Snow Leopard came out, rendering even 4ish year old G5's obsolete? I know this isn't really related, but do you think that computer will still be able to keep up with everything new 4 years from now? That's a long time, especially in computer years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.