When are all of you gonna sell your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by alectheking, Dec 23, 2010.

1. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Before the 2nd gen comes out? I'm just curious when the flood will hit eBay and craigslist. With the rumors of a mid January or febuary announcment I'm thinking of selling mine right after the new year.

2. Xeperu macrumors 6502

I'm expecting the iPad2 to become available in April. I'll put all our households iPad1's on eBay around the beginning of March. Me and my wife can stand one month without an iPad.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. arcade99 macrumors member

For me it's unbelievable that you want to sell this beautiful device before you have the successor in you hands. I couldn't imagine to be one day without it.

5. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Hmmm.... The only reason I will upgrade is a retina display! So looks like I will have to wait for the keynote to decide

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Plan on keeping mine.

Maybe will upgrade when iPad 3 is released.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'll keep it even when I buy the next one. With multiple people in the household, having multiple iPads is fine.

8. ScaryMerry macrumors member

ScaryMerry

Um, no. I'll probably upgrade when the 3rd gen comes out, but even then, not selling- 1st gens are special. I'll keep it around to awe my children with my marvelous antique and then eventually sell it when it's reached the valuable "collector" status. I have a friend whose tech-savvy grandpa did that with his old Apple computer. And when I say old, I mean old.

9. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I dunno. After I got my iPhone 4, the iPad kinda lost it's luster... Maybe I'll sell when an iPad with retina display comes out.

10. Ichneumon macrumors member

Q: When are all of you gonna sell your iPad?

A: NEVER! :D

11. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I was the complete opposite! I was envious of my friends' iPhone 4s and was going to get one myself but then I got my iPad and lost all interest in obtaining a new iPhone! Mainly because I went from using my 3GS all the time (internet, games, email, etc.) to only really using it for phone calls/texts.

In answer to OP question: never. I will get iPad 2 on release day and gift my original iPad to a family member.

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Mine. like all previous good Apple products I have owned in the past will NOT BE SOLD!

It will be handed down/passed on to a family member who will put it to good use.

Why let some stranger take advantage of you by giving them a good deal when you can share the Apple experience with loved ones?

As for the not so good Apple products in the past I have happily sold them to unsuspecting strangers!!! :D

If you have to sell iPod v1 in order to get iPod v2, you cannot afford iPod v2 !!! :p

13. Xeperu macrumors 6502

Why should I want to keep a device I'm not going to use anymore? Let it collect dust in a drawer.

14. drjsway macrumors 6502a

The day before the keynote. Sold my MacBook Air (which was over 2 years old with dying battery) for $1050 the day before the keynote and picked up the new 11" two days later for $999.

15. Tunster, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

Tunster macrumors 6502

I've only just bought my 3G model and won't bother upgrading for iPad 2. The major reason is that if the rumors are true... I won't need the cameras as my iPhone does FaceTime. The possible better screen will probably be minor and even if a USB slot arrives, I'll get no benefit from it. I'm sure iOS 5 will be hinted at the next announcement and the original iPad will surely receive it. Software enhancements will grab my attention more than hardware.

I'll be sitting here patient for iPad 3 after everyone goes to scramble for number 2. :D

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Am I to assume that you read only the last line in my post, which was written sarcastically??

Nobody says you have to keep the one you will not use, you could however pass it along to a family member as I and others have suggested.

17. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

If I want an iPad 2, I'll give v1 to my son. But it'll take a significant difference for me to upgrade.

18. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I'll get the iPad 2 when it comes out and pass version 1 to my wife. I'm just not sure I want to sell it and I can't not have one now as I use it everyday in my business. Plus there's something cool about having the first gen of something like this. It may not be worth anything in the future but it will be a cool piece to show in 20 years.

Honestly though. People will break themselves to get the latest and greatest, especially with phones and now ipads. Although I see that some don't want to hold on to the device and just want to recoup some money. Others, can't get the new one until they sell the other one, and in this case I would say that you couldn't afford the first one much less a second one. Take the 5,6,8 hundred dollars and start a IRA. it will serve you better than any phone or iPad ever will.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Same here
    If I get the iPad 2, the iPad 1 will likely go to my GF

20. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

You never know. I would sell now if I were you.

21. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

22. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Your source?

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Many of the people here will need the money in their hands to buy the iPad2.

I am giving mine to my Office Manager, if she would return it so I could!:eek:

24. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I think that would be the keynote

25. arcade99 macrumors member

If I can't afford a 500 USD device I wouldn't buy every new version but stay with the one I have a couple of years.