When are apple stores going to get an unlocked iphone 5???

RoGySerbia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Does anyone know for SURE...when Apple Stores are going to start selling an unlocked version of an iPhone 5?

Other option is to buy at VERIZON...but I don't feel 'em... :cool:

:apple:

RNVarma

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Does anyone know for SURE...when Apple Stores are going to start selling an unlocked version of an iPhone 5?

Other option is to buy at VERIZON...but I don't feel 'em... :cool:

:apple:
Just go to the Apple Store and purchase a device-only iPhone 5. Make sure it's not associated with any contract or phone number. It'll then be unlocked.

sohanangal

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
India
I do not think the unlocked iPhone 5 is available in the Apple Store yet. It does not even have an option on the online store!!!

RNVarma

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
I do not think the unlocked iPhone 5 is available in the Apple Store yet. It does not even have an option on the online store!!!
I agree, they are not “officially” available, but if you purchase a device-only no-commitment iPhone 5 from the Apple Store, it will come factory unlocked.

The price of the device-only iPhone and the “official” factory unlocked iPhone will be the same, at least in the USA.

I imagine in 1-2 months Apple will “officially” sell factory unlocked iPhones 5 and advertise them as such.

sohanangal

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
India
I agree, they are not “officially” available, but if you purchase a device-only no-commitment iPhone 5 from the Apple Store, it will come factory unlocked.

The price of the device-only iPhone and the “official” factory unlocked iPhone will be the same, at least in the USA.

I imagine in 1-2 months Apple will “officially” sell factory unlocked iPhones 5 and advertise them as such.
So I can go to an Apple Store, and get a non-commitment to any carrier iPhone 5 that will be unlocked now? :D

RNVarma

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
So I can go to an Apple Store, and get a non-commitment to any carrier iPhone 5 that will be unlocked now? :D
Just make sure it's an Apple Store and that you do not give any sort of account information to them. It appears that as soon as its linked to an AT&T or Verizon account from system at Apple, it locks it.

When I bought my 4S last year, I made sure not to give them any account information, although it was easy for me because I was on T-Mobile anyways and didn't have any such account information to give them.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
Just make sure it's an Apple Store and that you do not give any sort of account information to them. It appears that as soon as its linked to an AT&T or Verizon account from system at Apple, it locks it.

When I bought my 4S last year, I made sure not to give them any account information, although it was easy for me because I was on T-Mobile anyways and didn't have any such account information to give them.
Not Verizon. The Verizon iPhone 5 is completely unlocked. With AT&T you do need to buy it device only.

However, it's a bit difficult to do right now since most store stock is reserved for the online reservation system, which won't let you buy a phone "device only."

RNVarma

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Not Verizon. The Verizon iPhone 5 is completely unlocked. With AT&T you do need to buy it device only.

However, it's a bit difficult to do right now since most store stock is reserved for the online reservation system, which won't let you buy a phone "device only."
That is true. The Verizon iPhone seems to be unlocked because of the FCC requirements when they bought some frequency band.

I'm probably gonna have to wait until the middle of October to buy my iPhone 5.