When are apple stores going to get an unlocked iphone 5???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RoGySerbia, Sep 25, 2012.

1. RoGySerbia macrumors newbie

Does anyone know for SURE...when Apple Stores are going to start selling an unlocked version of an iPhone 5?

Other option is to buy at VERIZON...but I don't feel 'em... :cool:

:apple:

2. MR1324 macrumors 6502

anyone can get an iphone 5 unlock for $10 on ebay

3. RNVarma macrumors regular

Just go to the Apple Store and purchase a device-only iPhone 5. Make sure it's not associated with any contract or phone number. It'll then be unlocked.

4. RNVarma macrumors regular

Evidently since day one. If they have your desired iPhone 5 version in stock, just ask for it no-commitment and device-only. You'll be paying full-price, of course, but I'll be unlocked.

5. sohanangal macrumors member

I do not think the unlocked iPhone 5 is available in the Apple Store yet. It does not even have an option on the online store!!!

6. RNVarma macrumors regular

I agree, they are not “officially” available, but if you purchase a device-only no-commitment iPhone 5 from the Apple Store, it will come factory unlocked.

The price of the device-only iPhone and the “official” factory unlocked iPhone will be the same, at least in the USA.

I imagine in 1-2 months Apple will “officially” sell factory unlocked iPhones 5 and advertise them as such.

7. sohanangal macrumors member

So I can go to an Apple Store, and get a non-commitment to any carrier iPhone 5 that will be unlocked now? :D

8. RNVarma macrumors regular

Just make sure it's an Apple Store and that you do not give any sort of account information to them. It appears that as soon as its linked to an AT&T or Verizon account from system at Apple, it locks it.

When I bought my 4S last year, I made sure not to give them any account information, although it was easy for me because I was on T-Mobile anyways and didn't have any such account information to give them.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Not Verizon. The Verizon iPhone 5 is completely unlocked. With AT&T you do need to buy it device only.

However, it's a bit difficult to do right now since most store stock is reserved for the online reservation system, which won't let you buy a phone "device only."

10. RNVarma macrumors regular

That is true. The Verizon iPhone seems to be unlocked because of the FCC requirements when they bought some frequency band.

I'm probably gonna have to wait until the middle of October to buy my iPhone 5.