Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2003
Chicago
I really want to buy a MAC NOW! My husband however, keeps cautioning me to just wait, that the new ones are due out soon, and thus a price drop is just around the corner. Won't my Dell depreciate at the same rate thus making the wait worth nothing!

I WANT A MAC

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: When are the new ibooks coming?

Originally posted by Caddy
I really want to buy a MAC NOW! My husband however, keeps cautioning me to just wait, that the new ones are due out soon, and thus a price drop is just around the corner. Won't my Dell depreciate at the same rate thus making the wait worth nothing!

I WANT A MAC

Actually you Dell is depreciating faster. Assuming a 6 month product cycle new iBooks should be announced in/around May.

Lethal

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Although you'll see a couple of new features (802.11g ready, FW800 and the like, you probably won't see much of (read any) speed increase since it's kind of maxed for right now (i doubt apple will push the G3 much farther considering it's current small implimentation)... so it's really your call, personally i wouldn't wait but then i'm all about instant gratification.

pnw

Caddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2003
Chicago
Do you think I will find a big price drop?

How much do you think they will take off of the 14' ibook?

I can find refurbs right now for 1319 on ebay.
Anyone else know of other good sights?

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
I wouldn't wait. No major updates are expected. Just simple stuff. You can get a 14 inch ibook, with combo, 700 mhz G3, and all the like refurbished from apple for 1299. Its a lot safer than ebay and you get the apple 1 year warrenty plus the option to apple care later. Thats what i would do...although i prefer the 12 inch.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I was like you, i was waiting and waiting but in the end the fact that i needed somethign now was enough to make me buy, it is going to do everything i want anyway.

I bought the 12" iBook and i suggest you should as well. Hopefully mine is here on tuesday.

Common Tuesday!!!

pdham

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2003
Madison
Re: Do you think I will find a big price drop?

Originally posted by Caddy
How much do you think they will take off of the 14' ibook?

Go with the 12'. Both the 12 and the 14 have the same screen resolution, therefore, the 14 pixels will be more spread out to cover more area. That means a less crisp image. Just my opinion.

Paul

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Re: Do you think I will find a big price drop?

Originally posted by pdham
Go with the 12'. Both the 12 and the 14 have the same screen resolution, therefore, the 14 pixels will be more spread out to cover more area. That means a less crisp image. Just my opinion.

Paul
Actually the 12" may be too small for some people... I usually say go look at both and see which they like better.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
The iBook will be updated only after the Titanium is supplanted by a 15-inch PowerBook that brings its features to parity to the 12-inch and 17-inch models (aluminum enclosure, DDR RAM support, Airport Extreme, Built-in Bluetooth, and new the mid-to-high end pro range, Firewire 800). April 29th is the earliest this appears likely. That date would mark exactly six months since both the iBooks and Titaniums were last updated.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
WAIT!

WAIT!

Upgrade is just around the corner, maybe April, probably May. It's only couple of months. You WILL be happy with any Mac you buy now. BUT, it would be upsetting just the same if new models come out right after you purchase one. So, wait couple of months, if nothing happens till end of May, go ahead and get one. But Apple goes by 6 months upgrade cycle, which means April or May upgrade for PowerBook (15" most likely) and iBooks.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Re: WAIT!

Originally posted by macphoria
WAIT!

Upgrade is just around the corner, maybe April, probably May. It's only couple of months. You WILL be happy with any Mac you buy now. BUT, it would be upsetting just the same if new models come out right after you purchase one. So, wait couple of months, if nothing happens till end of May, go ahead and get one. But Apple goes by 6 months upgrade cycle, which means April or May upgrade for PowerBook (15" most likely) and iBooks.

i think this depends on the person, i know updates are coming and it doesn't bother me one bit, i have to ask myself if i will use AE, BT and would a probable 900mhz processor really bother me?

No it doesn't and others might think the same way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.