Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zellio, Jul 9, 2013.
Retina or not...
There's no set dates for these things. Apple don't pre-announce anything, so they will only get announced when they are ready for sale, which could be next week, next month or next year. No-one outside of Apple knows.
Intel is releasing some more Haswell desktop processors in September. Apple could be waiting for that or for Mavericks to release the new iMac. Or both.
What new iMac? Late '12 are all new why would they update it so soon. They probably haven't sold out the inventory from the last production run yet.
For iMacs, Apple does not keep a big supply of them around. If Apple stopped making them today, they would sell out in noticeably less than a month.
Why wouldn't Apple update the iMac is a better question. The appropriate Haswell chips are available now from other PC vendors and supplies of the current models are constrained.
They could just drop later processors in, yes. But then again, that wouldn't be of any benefit to anyone really would it. (Have you seen the Haswell vs Ivybridge benchmarks?) And apart from anything else, a 3.1GHz Ivybridge is going to be faster than a 2.9GHz Haswell, so what's the point. The only benefit would be like a 2% speed improvement for 3.4GHz i7 buyers.
If people want a refresh that is a genuine improvement then it's more than just dropping a new processor in.
I know how it feels. I kept asking the same question when I was waiting for the 2012 iMac. At least this time you can be sure it won't take that long (>500 days).
.maybe this :
My thought exactly
Never. They are clearly killing off the iMac....
Haswell processor, 802.11ac, PCIe SSD and updated GPUs.
Individually, none of these changes (except for possibly the SSD change) would be worth Apple updating the iMac. Taken together it is worthwhile.
Yeah but a $1995.95 Mac Pro fills that bill and then some
A Mac Pro has no display. That would be more money.
I never said otherwise. I just said processor-only was nothing to get excited about, a waste of time in fact.
Unfortunately they have yet to announce one. A mac pro that is, not the thing they rolled out at WWDC that is a mini on steroids.
Are you referring to the upcoming Mac Pro? If so, I highly doubt we will see that price tag on one...
.you can spec out an iMac to over $2500.00
easy. So $500 for a nice display and Bob's you Uncle
Well I highly doubt that there won't be a Pro in that range
Dream on ;-)
If it has an E5 Xeon in it (and I think it will) there is not a prayer of hitting a $2k price point.
Heck, I'd ditch my new i7 iMac in a heartbeat if that was the case.
More like $700 for one that's similar to the iMac screen. And then I need to get an SD reader and more space to put the Pro+Screen. And I bet that the low end Pro probably won't be lower than about $2500.
(1) Haswell, quad-core only
(2) 700x Series NVIDIA
(3) FaceTime HD 1080p
(4) Flash PCI SSD (Fusion Drive Standard possibly)
Same prices and such. I wouldn't expect much more than this. Retina is too expensive currently. Maybe next year at the earliest.
About the ONLY thing Apple ever says about new iMacs is "they're for sale now". Last year, when they said "they'll be for sale in 4-6 weeks", that was an extraordinary event with virtually no precedence in Apple's history, and they did that only because of the age of the old model, the new ones were overdue due to manufacturing issues, and they already had a room full of people to talk to about products going on sale that day so they gave them something else to ooh and ahh over.
If you're looking for a significantly upgraded computer over the model for sale right now, you're in for a long wait. The components just aren't available right now. If they launched new iMacs tomorrow with what the market has, for 95% of uses it would be indistinguishable for the one they have today. You WANT them to take longer to release it, so that their suppliers can come up with some better parts to put in it. The next bump you'll actually notice in real life with CPU and GPU probably won't be till next year.
I actually envision an overlap of the iMac and Pro
For roughly a few hundred dollars more you would
have WAY more machine. I figure my new Pro will
run around the $2500-3200 range with a monitor.
And if you already have a monitor, which I do, so
much the better
I love my iMac however if Apple expects me and other
like me to move up to a Pro they will need a $1995.95
machine. It's the only way they can grow the Pro market.
Without even maxing a 27" iMac out it's easy to push it
For that money I'd go Pro
So you will be getting the bottom of the line Mac Pro with a quad or maybe hex core processor? I can guarantee you a Mac Pro with the 12 core processor will be a couple thousand more at least.
Well of course, not everybody needs 12 cores, Apple
knows this which is why they sell other options
.same in the iMac line
That's my point
..and an opportunity for Apple
to grow the Pro line plus get a few more hundred
$'s out of us for it too
. It's a win/win for Apple.
Well, there has been more or less universal agreement that a machine that was like a PC (perhaps not so infinitely configurable) but which ran OS X, would be massively popular and would sell like hot cakes. A small, quiet mini tower with user upgradeable components.
But Apple have so far resisted any temptation to produce such a thing. I don't see them starting now and what you describe would be pretty much this.