when buying from apple.com

GeorgeD

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
when buying from apple.com, upon arrival do you have to sign for a purchase when it is received? I want to buy a MBP but I want it to be safe when it gets here, does anyone know about the security of buying from apple.com?

thanks in advance for any advice.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
apple ships via fed-ex, and you're required to sign for it upon delivery. there are workarounds to this, though, if you're interested. if you're concerned about security, why not go to an apple store and buy one in person?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Yeah, you have to nominate who'll sign for it unless you say that it's okay for anyone to sign (delivery to a business, for example). :)
yes you have to sign...but you can get around it. On the Apple website there is a link to FedEx release form. Print and fill the form out and put it at your front door and they were leave your package there even if you are not home. I used it for my iBook in 2005.

GeorgeD

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
i would like to buy in store but the apple stores dont do hard drive upgrades and I would need a MBP with a 160 gb hd

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
i would like to buy in store but the apple stores dont do hard drive upgrades and I would need a MBP with a 160 gb hd
On the site they have the release form, fill it out and you are all good. Trust me!!.....unless it changed recently...wait not..look what I found!!

Option 1: Pre-sign with Apple

Once you receive the Ship Notification email from Apple, visit online Order Status and click the “Pre-sign for this shipment” link. Follow the instructions to print and complete the “Shipment Release Authorization” form and leave it on your door for the carrier prior to 8 a.m. the day of expected delivery.

You can designate a preferred delivery location — front door, back door, immediate neighbor or building manager. If you designate an address other than the one specified on the package (for example, a neighbor), someone must be present to sign for the package. If you want to pre-sign for more than one shipment, you need to complete a “Shipment Release Authorization” form for each one.

Option 2: Sign the carrier’s Delivery Notice after the first delivery attempt

If you miss the first delivery attempt and our carrier leaves a Delivery Notice, you can sign the Delivery Notice and leave it on your door prior to the next delivery attempt. The carrier can then leave the package by your door. The carrier will attempt delivery three times before your package is returned to Apple.

Option 3: Pick up package at carrier’s local office

After the first delivery attempt, you have the option of picking up your package at the carrier's local office. Just call the number on the carrier's Delivery Notice and inform the carrier that you want to pick up your package in person. Please note that you'll need both of the following IDs for the carrier to release the package to you:

A government-issued ID (driver's license, passport, residency card) that matches the name on the package
A second ID with your name on it (credit card, social security card, etc.)