When can I sell my old phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kryptticAZ, Sep 30, 2012.

1. kryptticAZ macrumors regular

I just purchased two iP5's and ported the numbers from two iP4s's over to AT&T from Verizon.

When am I allowed to sell my old iPhone 4s's? Do I have to pay my final Verizon bill (which includes ETFs) or can I sell the phones now? I don't want to sell the phones and then have the buyer have trouble activating them.

Thanks.

2. jsamuels macrumors member

I've always received the best price and service from Newtonshead.com

3. krizko macrumors regular

Spam much?

Try answering the guys question.

Best I can tell you is that once the new phones are activated you should be just fine to sell the old ones.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Now. Try eBay instant sale. The gave me $400 each for my 4S 64GB AT&Ts.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The good news is that after the initial iPhone 5 'reaction' the prices of your iPhone 4S will bounce back. Not to the same levels of what they once were, but bounce back enough to the point where you have some good spending money to spend :).

But yes, once you cancel the Verizon lines, those iPhones are free to sell right away.

6. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I would hold on to them for a little bit and let prices come back a bit. Search several sites. I traded my 4 into amazon for amazon credit. Granted its been about 10 days but the price dropped about 150 for the trade in. Also you can try craigslist.

7. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

You are allowed to sell your phones at any time. The contract is for the line, not the phones. Your buyers shouldn't have any issues.

8. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

9. kryptticAZ thread starter macrumors regular

I thought the carriers could prevent a phone from being activated by a new buyer if the original owner didn't pay their bill. I certainly plan on paying my bill (and the ETFs), but I didn't know if my account had to be zeroed out before I could give or sell the phones to someone else.

10. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I sold mine on eBay last week for $450... 32gb 4S AT&T.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110954918101&index=0&nav=SOLD&nid=60496257382&trxId=0

11. kryptticAZ thread starter macrumors regular

Should I ask Verizon to unlock these before I try to sell them or should I not even bother?

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It would help up the price by $10 or $15, but not by much as it wouldn't be unlocked for usage on other US carriers.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

14. megapopular macrumors 6502a

About $400, threw in an extra cable and didn't have to pay shipping fees.

15. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

You need to make sure u pay all fees on your old phone before selling them. Otherwise they will be marked as bad esn, then whoever buys it will have issues activating it.

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You can sell any phone anytime you want, even the day you get it. Any ETF has nothing to do with the phone. It is tied to the phone line. Some folks have been know to put a dumb phone on the old line.

17. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

Wait for the bill from your IP4S to clear in about a month or so. Otherwise, your buyer will have a problem activating with Verizon due to bad ESN.

18. kryptticAZ thread starter macrumors regular

OK, there is conflicting information in everyone's responses. Some of you stated that I can sell the phone whenever I want. Others are stating that Verizon will cripple the phone as a "bad ESN" until I pay my final bill.

Which is it?

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Most normal people have to pay shipping, especially when they offer free shipping to a buyer. So "about" $350 for mere mortals? $375?

20. megapopular macrumors 6502a

The buyer and I had a very good dialogue... I didn't pay for shipping. I don't know how else to tell you what I already told you. About $400 as I stated previously. I also sold a similar 32gb iPhone on Craigslist this weekend which was listed for $400... I told him $380... He was promptly on time, so I took the $380 and handed him $20 back and gave him an extra iPod charge cable I didn't really need. This kind of stuff happens all of the time. A few bucks isn't a big deal to everyone. Not me, certainly. Not my eBay buyer, either. I'm sure he was thrilled to get a damn near brand new iPhone with a month old battery, practically new case and screen that was factory unlocked! :)

21. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Why not just call Verizon? Or do an on-line chat -- I've found these to be pretty painless with my carrier (Sprint), and better than a phone call.

Regards,
    Tom

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

My point was that the $450 figure you quoted first was a bit unrealistic. Not everyone can have good dialogues with buyers and not pay shipping. When you consider the fees the $450 becomes something less. That is all. Congrats on selling your phone.

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

24. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Really? Realistically, I stated I sold it on eBay, I NEVER claimed I walked away with $450 in my hands... And since I mentioned eBay, we know there are fees involved. That's like you saying that my 32gb iPhone is really only 28gb because of what the OS takes up, etc. Are you that realistic, ZBoater or are you unrealistic? That is all. Thanks for the congrats.

25. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

ouch... i sold my 4s 16gb $375