When can the iPhone become as thin as the iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Apr 28, 2013.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

The iPod touch form factor would be amazing on the iPhone. How far away are we technologically for this to come true? I bet battery technology is the one thing that is holding back devices from getting even thinner. Any other thoughts/opinions?

2. johnjefferson macrumors regular

The battery life on the new iPod touch is quite good but its also not running on LTE and it doesn't have a cellular radio. Both of those take up some room. Even halfway between the iPhone 5 and iPod touch would be great.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I might be an exception, but I don't understand the craze with making things thinner. When do you say enough is enough? I think it's fine.

4. 617aircav Suspended

How thin can a phone be when it becomes uncomfortable to hold.

5. ipaclansite macrumors member

When it becomes thin enough to bend, thats when its too thin.

6. bozzykid macrumors 68020

As someone who has a iPod touch, I find it pretty uncomfortable to hold for a long period of time. Because it is so thin, the edges are quite sharp. I just don't know if I would want my phone that I use all the time that thin. Once it is that thin, there is no way it can be made comfortable to hold.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'm quite happy with the thickness of my iPhone 4S. I doesn't need to be any thinner.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

9. Izaiah macrumors regular

Izaiah

I also really like the thickness of the IP5. I wouldn't make it any thinner.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I second this. In fact, I say make it as thick as the 4/s and give us more battery.

11. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Thinner iPhone = less battery life
    No thanks!

12. Luuthian macrumors member

I agree. The iP5 is about the perfectly level of thickness in a phone. I wouldn't want it be iPod sized. Too uncomfortable for using frequently.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It will never happen as long as the iPhone is a phone. It needs more space for more parts, so it will never be exactly as thin as an iPod touch of the same generation.

14. Skika macrumors 68030

15. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I could get that thin with a 4.5 or 5" screen.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a point of diminishing returns, where its too thin. I'd rather see Apple look to add features, improve performance, then just make it thinner.

17. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

I find the new iPod Touch very nice to look at. But IMHO, I find it very uncomfortable to hold–mostly because of its thinness. Honestly, I'm at the point where I don't want the iPhone to be thinner than the 5 :p

18. maxosx macrumors 68020

When it snaps in half as easily as a Lays potato chip :D

19. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Thin seems to be the "thing" these days. Personally, I think these phones are thin enough and honestly you cannot tell the difference between .001 whatever after a week of using any phone.

I'm more focused on OS, screen size/quality and call quality.

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Around the time you remove all the components that make it a phone.

21. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Considering how much phone components have decreased in size, it is not inconceivable that you could make a phone as thin as the touch in a few years. So sure, maybe they can't make it as thin as a current generation touch, but they could make it that thin eventually. However, I don't see that happening.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I don't think the iPhone should get any thinner.

23. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I think that's what we said for the iPhone 4/4s, but Apple still managed to do it. But yea, I agree, the iPhone 5 seems perfect right now.

24. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Am surprise the big screen people haven't jumped in here and go, you %#^%* kidding me, we want to go bigger, not smaller still!

The chauvinist in me says a Touch phone will look good for the female, but surprisingly am finding women around me are the ones getting the huge Sammy phones... go figure.

25. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That was my point. If Apple is really engineering to make both devices as thin as possible, I don't see a way in physics to cram cellular, GPS, etc. into the same casing as an iPod touch, especially if you need a larger battery to get the same 8-10 hours from an iPhone.

But yep, pick a generation of iPod touch and Apple could probably hit that mark in a few years. Go find an original iPod touch and I'm guessing the iPhone 5 is probably pretty close. If fact, I just looked up both numbers. The original iPod touch was 0.31" thick. The iPhone 5 is 0.30" thick. But the current-gen iPod touch is 0.26".