Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haberdasher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I was told close to Christmas, but that was heard from someone who I have no idea whether had accurate information or not. I'm in the position to buy one right now too, but it is so frustrating to not even find a place that MENTIONS that there is such a thing as a planned Mac 9700.

Anyone else?

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
All i know is taht it is coming and boy, what a splash it will make. Any card that can oust the gf4ti from its throne of mainstream graphics superiority is ok in my book (nothing against the gf4ti).

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
What about the Radeon 9000 Pro

When will the retail Radeon 9000 Pro/Mac version arrive ? That was suppose to be out in Sept, which is almost over.

Has anyone seen these advertised anywhere ? That will be a great update to my quicksilver.

Tim

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Re: What about the Radeon 9000 Pro

Originally posted by TMJ1974
When will the retail Radeon 9000 Pro/Mac version arrive ? That was suppose to be out in Sept, which is almost over.

Has anyone seen these advertised anywhere ? That will be a great update to my quicksilver.

Tim

which quicksilver do u have? i have a 933.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It was supposed to be fall 2002 but because of demand on the PC side exceeding expectations, it could be a bit later or there might be just a trickle of the boards bound for Macs.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by bousozoku
It was supposed to be fall 2002 but because of demand on the PC side exceeding expectations, it could be a bit later or there might be just a trickle of the boards bound for Macs.

Yea, why are we at the bottom of the damn totem pole here? I mean, macs have an OS that needs a good graphics card, and no doubt OSX 10.3 (panther) will require something good for its next gen of quatrx extreme. C'mon, ATI, bring the mac cards out! Every Peecee owner on the planet now has a gf4ti (cept the smart ones that see they dont need the uber frame rates), so none will buy in the volumes mac buyers will buy cuz apple just happens to put middle end graphics cards in their rigs, so a replacement will be advised, especially for g4's that have older graphics cards, such as the first AGP G4.

I also think the 9000 will sell like dollar per pound marijuana in Compton (hehe)

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Consider yourselves lucky...

Why on earth don't they make these new graphics cards a standard size? Although they all fit nicely in the Towers, spare a thought for the Cube owners, like myself, who have a limited selection and supply of graphics cards that fit in the Cube chassis (nVidia GeForce 2 & 3, ATI Radeon Cube & Radeon 7500 are the only cards that fit in, and utilise the power of Quartz Extreme...).

Because of the limited supply and massive demand for these cards, we Cube owners are paying through the teeth for technology that is no longer cutting edge. And I hate the idea of getting a second-hand card through eBay, only to find it DOA with no support.

So come on, ATI and nVidia - give us a break. You make 'em, and we'll buy 'em.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Re: Consider yourselves lucky...

Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
Why on earth don't they make these new graphics cards a standard size? Although they all fit nicely in the Towers, spare a thought for the Cube owners, like myself, who have a limited selection and supply of graphics cards that fit in the Cube chassis (nVidia GeForce 2 & 3, ATI Radeon Cube & Radeon 7500 are the only cards that fit in, and utilise the power of Quartz Extreme...).

Because of the limited supply and massive demand for these cards, we Cube owners are paying through the teeth for technology that is no longer cutting edge. And I hate the idea of getting a second-hand card through eBay, only to find it DOA with no support.

So come on, ATI and nVidia - give us a break. You make 'em, and we'll buy 'em.

Yeah imagine a cube with the uber graphics of the radeon 9700. But, i wonder, would it over heat the cube itself. I mean, all PC manufacturers are putting aluminium heatsinks on their R-9700's in they machines.

Just a thought...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by G5orbust

Yea, why are we at the bottom of the damn totem pole here? I mean, macs have an OS that needs a good graphics card, and no doubt OSX 10.3 (panther) will require something good for its next gen of quatrx extreme.
I also think the 9000 will sell like dollar per pound marijuana in Compton (hehe)

It's all about volume. How many Mac owners are going to spend the money ($399) for a video card, great or otherwise? 1000? 10,000? 100,000? Not enough to be first. The only reason we get GeForce cards quickly is because Apple is doing the work, not nVidia.

Compton...the biggest dropout rate in the country. What a city! The math and accounting classes must do well. :D

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by bousozoku

It's all about volume. How many Mac owners are going to spend the money ($399) for a video card, great or otherwise? 1000? 10,000? 100,000? Not enough to be first. The only reason we get GeForce cards quickly is because Apple is doing the work, not nVidia.

Compton...the biggest dropout rate in the country. What a city! The math and accounting classes must do well. :D

Yea nvidia jsut makes the cards, and apple pays them to sell them.... sheesh what a rip...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.