When did job interviews become so invasive & ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by s2mikey, Jan 18, 2017.

1. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Wow. The employment world has changed a lot since I last interviewed. I remember when you aplied for a job, met with the person thats responsible for hiring, had an interview and usually heard something within a day or two. That was mainly it. Maybe a competency evaluation for certian positions but that was the extent of it. A friend of mine recently interviewed for a middle-tier IT position and the crap they hasd to go through was completely obscene! Lets discuss:

1) Two phone interviews. Really? Phone interviews to me are like phone sex.... not at all like the real thing and utterly useless.

2) One in-person interview with the hiring manager. This one makes sense.

3) A second in-person interview with a room full of employees that essentially grill you. WTF is that all about? Does the job require being grilled by rooms filled with IT nerds? Probably not. ????

4) A last interview with HR & the HR team. Again...what for? What does HR have to do with technical competency? Id think HR meetings would be vaulable AFTER you are hired. Right?

5) Drug Test - stupidest thing ever. Its really a "have you smoked weed within the last 3 weeks" test since all other drugs are long gone from your system after about 24 hours. On top of that, what I do on the weekends is really NONE of my employers business. If I come to work high or drunk - fire me. But otherwise, they pay you to do a task and thats IT. There is NO goody-goody stipend paid to you to behave on weekends. Weed isnt even a drug, ironically. Its a plant thats harmless. Whatever. Also, since they never test again everyone just quits for a month and then tokes up immediately afterwards and from then on. Half of my IT-based company burns tree. So what? It effects NOTHING.

6) Background check - are they focking kidding? This isnt a secret service job. We're not applying for a psitol permit here. Its a mid-level tech job. Background checks? Again - none of their business. Other than making sure you arent a convicted felon or wanted for some haneous crime. The rest is completely irrelevant pertaining to doing a job task.

7) Credit Check. Yep - this one made me fly off the handle and Im not even interviewing. What. The. Fock? Im not applying for a mortgage or a for a loan. Duh? My credit score is MY business, not Mr. and Mrs. employer. Who the hell allowed this? Its a total invasion of privacy and like most of this has ZERO to do with performing a task for a certain wage. This should be illegal unless the position for some reason requires you to have a perfect credit score.

Holy Crap - Im getting old...or something. This is ridiculous. Again, this is for what Id call basic, everyday jobs. Not Govt agency, Pentagon, etc. Wow. Just awful.

Its like: "Hey, Ill do the work you need and you pay for it. If the work is done satisfactorily then you pay me and we'll keep going as long as both parties are happy". It should be that simple.

Rant OVER!

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Since it has become very difficult to fire someone without ending up in court, the flip side of this means hiring is no longer a "meet and shake hands" proposition.

Why did you meet with a room full of employees? To make sure THEY can work with you, not the other way around.

Why all the background checks? To judge your risk as an investment from the company's perspective.

With a hundred qualified applicants for the same IT job, companies can afford to be picky.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I don't get the credit check, but the rest of it I have no problem with. If a company doesn't want to hire a bunch of potheads that's their business they can run it how they see fit.

4. Roric macrumors regular

I can see the interview with other techs. As stated above, it is to see if they can work with you. It is also to make sure you actually know what you are talking about. Many applicants can put the right keywords in a letter/resume, bluff their way thru the phone interview and even thru the supervisor interview. It is when they are faced with people who actually know stuff that things start to fall apart.

As for the credit check, it is to see if you are likely to steal from the company. I used to work with someone who was in charge of ordering equipment. He would pad the orders with unneeded equipment. He would then take it and sell it on the side to pay off his massive personal debt. Another place I heard of won't hire those that are deep in debt because people who are are more likely to be bribed.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I had my credit checked, but only because in some functions I oversee cash and quite large checks. Background check is fine for me. The interview with the peers is ridiculous.
    You are also lucky. The last trend is: "give me your facebook password".

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

This is why I’ve been a big fan of temp agencies for temp to perm positions. Some basic interviews and skillset testing, benefits the agency to find you a job, low risk to the employer, and just prove yourself by doing the actual job. I couldn’t tell you the last time I’ve had a direct hire job in the past 20 years.

But of course this depends on the job position and specialty skills needed. I tend to go into general administration positions.

7. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Thorough interviews are to determine job competence, honesty & integrity protect current employees and company reputation (by eliminating bad employees), etc.

Telephonic interviews are worthless? What profession are you in? It's very common in professional fields.

Background and CB reports are valuable where employees are entrusted with sensitive customer data (fiduciary relationship). For example financial based customers. Legally defensible backgrounds protect the company and the current employees.

If you don't like the hiring practice then you might not be a good fit with the organization. The org and you will probably not be happy together. Keep looking.

8. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

This is exactly it. Sadly, it's expensive and risky to hire people today, especially with a general internet posting to a job board. The company does its due diligence because its so hard to fire people today. True, the company is interested in the technical capabilities of the hiree to do the task, but that's only one part of the package. They want to make sure they are hiring someone who will fit in, is a team player, not harass other workers or customers, use the correct bathroom, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if this company also did an internet search to see what your friend was posting on Facebook or Twitter.

I agree with the post above about temps. They are often a good way to try out a person for a job without having to take a huge risk.

9. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Do you not have some sort of a probation time, let's say up to 6months in the US as a standard? During that time-frame firing can be done without reason and with only a brief period for notice in case it doesn't work out.

I get it that specific positions with handling sensitive data eventually makes certain background-checks necessary - but checking my credit or performing a drug test for some generic job seems utterly intrusive.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Drug test- good, why not? Some people have serious habits.
    Background check- are you a felon? Does your job involve sensitive propiritery info?
    Did they make you take the MMPI? :)

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

1 - Agreed
    2 - Agreed
    3 - Like others have mentioned, to see how well you will work with other members of the team. It might have felt like a grilling, but I doubt they took it that far.
    4 - Toss up, we actually have you sit down with the two of our HR personnel prior to offering. It is basically another round of interviews.
    5 - Well, maybe this company has a not drug policy. Even in this day an age, you can still have that policy and a lot of companies do. Just because some of them are legal in some states, doesn't mean they have to accept a candidate who has smoked it, especially in the past month or so. Again, risk management. Would you want someone managing a team coming in loaded, which could happen.
    6 - Do we know what kind of IT job this will be for? Do we know what company it is for? With out us knowing this, we really can't answer this. Want to make sure they are not hiring a felon or someone who has used computers to do bad things.
    7 - Yup, credit check. We do this for every single person. Especially if there is a remote chance this person could have access to any time of funds. Whether it is contracts, currency exchange etc. I want to see how my employees manage their money. Sorry, your credit score is not just for your mortgage or bank. Heck we have you bring in your credit reports from the big three. The sealed versions, not the printed copies you can get off the internet.

With the amount of people wanting a job and the ability to weed out folks, companies will do it, so they feel they can invest in the very best of people.

12. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Gosh, I don't agree with some of the other things you've written as well but damn, that goes way too far imho. I hope you feel at least a bit bad about it :D
    I mean, I would like to know all sorts of stuff too but that should not be how it works imo.

As for the drug thing: If a person has a solid education, a solid CV and presents him-/herself properly in the interview, sometimes multiple interviews or some sort of assessment filters, eventually has some recommendations I find it proof enough to see whether a person is capable of professional work or not.

Man, sure hope that stuff stays in the big businesses.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I have 8 years of restaurant experience from High School and College. When I was looking for a different restaurant to work at when I moved for school, they wanted to run a background check and a credit check. To work at a restaurant. I said no thanks and was on my way. (I was told about the checks after my 4 interviews).

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

Weed is now legit in some parts of the US now though?

So effectively they're testing for something that is perfectly legal in some states, no?

15. Huntn, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It makes no difference in the Transportation industry. Weed will get you fired.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Weed is still against federal law. Doesn't matter if states vote to legalize it, federally, still illegal. Most companies spread over multiple states.

17. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Sounds over the top to me. If I was offered the job and was in a position to turn it down I would. Who wants to work for a company that far up their own backside?

18. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

A lot of jobs have a ton of hoops you have to jump through to even get your application/resume considered.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

What if someone doesn't have a credit history because he pays everything upfront, cash in hands, a-la Dave Ramsey? (Zero accounts payable).

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Pretty sure this bit is illegal. You can run a "soft" check on prospective applicants, at your own cost, but you cannot require them to produce their own credit report at their own cost.

21. s2mikey thread starter macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Hmmm. Im not going to quote everyone here but basically, this job was a friend of mine, not me. They recently quit a larger company due to stagnation and a suspect future. They ventured out there and were as shocked as I would have been as to what you have to go through. The job in question would be a QA analyst/engineer which is what I also do for a living. Certainly NOT a financial-information sensitive job at all. Not management level either. Just a decent paying, technical job. Nothing fancy or super high-salary. Thats why he was so shocked. I guess the round table thing might make sense but cant it all be done on one day? They are wasting peoples valuable time with multiple phone and in-person interviews. They ought to have to pay you minimum wage for time wasted if they drag you through the process only to not offer you a job at the end.

I can see a few of the stated counter-points here regarding background checks but those seem to apply to big time jobs or when company financial information is at stake. Then, you might as well dig deeper. Otherwise though, damn..... do you want my fingerprints too? Geesh. I undertand that they want to make sure of who they are hiring. But at some point this gets a little obscene, doesn it? For a QA analyst? And as others have noted, for working at a restaurant you have to do all of this crap? HUH? What? C'mon....

As for credit checks - is there EMPIRICAL data that proves credit scores are tied to rate of theft? I doubt it. If it exists, lets see it. I call BS on that one. Its 100% none of their business. I aint applying for credit or for a loan and those are the ONLY criteria where you should have to give this info. Should be illegal.

Whats next? Social Security numbers? all of your personal passwords to every account you have? Bank statements? Blood and semen samples? It would be funny though to have to whack your meat into a cup for analysis. What are they gonna do with THAT data? :D

I dunno.... I dont like the sounds of this. Better hope I stay where Im at! ;)

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I like to ask potential job applicants "If I were to look at your search history, what would I find?"

23. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

Years ago, Motorola instituted drug tests for its engineers. History now shows that this was the inflection point when Motorola started becoming irrelevant in microprocessors.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Pron and guns. Would you hire me?:D

25. samcraig macrumors P6

I have less of a problem with the aforementioned than with companies where some of my colleagues (with impressive resumes and years of experience) have interviewed where they insist on the candidate(s) putting together project plans or other works to prove they can do the job. If their previous body of work, their references, their resume and the interviews doesn't show they can do the job, end it there. Having the candidate do work which the company could actually use should be come with compensation as if they were a contractor.

This happened to me twice as well. In the first case, I went along for the ride and did 2-3 different tasks. I was offered the job, but declined it. The second employer to try and pull this, I said essentially the above - that my experience and past body of work should speak for my abilities. And that I was happy to offer my services as a contractor to create a strategy doc, I would be more than happy to provide a quote. But I wasn't going to work for free.